What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue concussion breach notices - huge fines

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NRL issue concussion protocol breach notices
National Rugby League | March 20 2017 1:33PM

Three NRL clubs are facing fines totalling $350,000 after being issued with Breach Notices relating to head injuries in Round 3 of the Telstra Premiership.

CEO Todd Greenberg said there is no more important issue in the game than player safety and he was satisfied that the three clubs had failed to follow the concussion rules during weekend matches.

The Breach Notices have been issued to:

• The Gold Coast Titans ($150,000) for incidents involving Kane Elgey, Joe Greenwood and Ryan Simpkins

• St George Illawarra Dragons ($100,000) for an incident involving Josh Dugan

Newcastle Knights ($100,000) for an incident involving Brendan Elliot

"These are, by far, the heaviest fines ever proposed by the game for concussion breaches," Mr Greenberg said.

"That is how seriously we take it.

"The clubs involved have the opportunity to respond to the Breach Notices, and we will consider those responses, but our message is clear… we are not going to allow player safety to be put at risk through breaches of the concussion rules."

Mr Greenberg said the NRL has put significant resources into concussion training and education.

"In the majority of cases we see strong compliance with the League's concussion rules but it appears that this did not happen at the weekend in some matches and we cannot stand by and allow player safety to be put at risk," he said.

"Where we believe the rules have been breached we will take action - and we would hope that these Breach Notices will serve as a warning to all clubs."

Mr Greenberg said the clubs would have five business days to respond to the Breach Notices.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29784-nrl-issue-concussion-protocol-breach-notices/

betcats

Referee
Good, if they are going to have concussion rules they may as well enforce them properly instead of half assing it like they do most of the games rules.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to see some decisive and quick action for a change. How fricking stupid are clubs??

adamkungl

Immortal
Not sure if I'm happy with this.

This has come about purely because of a nuffy League hating elitist throwing a tantrum on TV and in his column.

I hope the clubs respond and fight the charge. I have no issue with the concussion protocol or punishing clubs who flout it, BUT until proven otherwise I'll trust the qualified trainer on the field doing the assessment over a glorified keyboard warrior making a medical assessment from his couch.

The_Shield

Juniors
What about the sharks taking Wade Graham off after getting hit by the football? If that's not abusing the rules, then I don't know what is

Iafeta

Referee
I would like to see 2 reserves - one back, one forward, who play reserve grade who can come on should a bloke be concussed. You can't mess with concussions but it seems three clubs were willing to with backs.

With the Knights one, did they also fine the referees for not sending off the Souffs centre for a dog shot head high??

shaggs

Coach
What about the sharks taking Wade Graham off after getting hit by the football? If that's not abusing the rules, then I don't know what is
He took a hit about 5 minutes before that.
They'd already checked him and thought he was ok. The footy just topped it off.

mozza91

Coach
Re Elliot. Hunt hits him flush in the head thus knocking him out and concussing him. The Knights take him off and reshuffle the team. This is what the NRL would prefer to happen?
The Knights lose their fullback and Hunt is able to play the remainder of the game. Seems a fair result.

yobbo84

First Grade
Re Elliot. Hunt hits him flush in the head thus knocking him out and concussing him. The Knights take him off and reshuffle the team. This is what the NRL would prefer to happen?
The Knights lose their fullback and Hunt is able to play the remainder of the game. Seems a fair result.
Whilst I agree with you it'd be too hard to police. A player could be having a Paul Carige of a match, gets clipped on the head, acts dead, coach gets to replace him with a fresh reserve.

axl rose

Bench
Dear NRL,

You have been found guilty of breaching the concussion rules, please pay the NRL $100,000 in fines.

Yours Sincerely,

NRL

Reminds me of owner of the NRL News Ltd issuing fines to News Ltd/ Melbourne Storm for salary cap breaches. Luckily News Ltd was there to bail them out from News Ltd.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Just read on the St george and Sutherland Shire leader that the St George club are facing a fine by the NRL for the handling of Dugan's concussion.
It was pretty funny to hear that the coach said it wasn't a head injury but a jaw injury didn't realise that the jaw is connected to the head

Well the question is whether he has a sore face or was knocked out.

Players stay down for non concussion injuries all the time. I've been bashed in the head before and it f**king hurt, without being dazed or anything of the sort.

How is everyone watching footy on TV suddenly a medical expert?

Furthermore opposition coaches/captains have no place demanding players should be taken off for assessment. the rule is there for player safety not for gamesmanship.

adamkungl

Immortal
Whilst I agree with you it'd be too hard to police. A player could be having a Paul Carige of a match, gets clipped on the head, acts dead, coach gets to replace him with a fresh reserve.

Small risk not worth worrying about.

It's time the sendoff was re-introduced with regular use.

If an illegal tackle causes injury the tackler should be sent.

Glendale

Juniors
Brown said in his press conference Elliot was cleared of concussion on the hit from Hunt.

Knights wouldn't be paying a fine if it wasn't for that bandana wearing guy having a whinge.