What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue concussion breach notices - huge fines

jonno_knights

Juniors
Do the NRL own the Roosters.

And there is your answer

Which is the point Im trying to prove..

Token gesture by the NRL... fining the clubs they are in control of. I'm surprised someone in the media isn't blowing these situations up, they seem to take any chance to ruin the game's image, but are fairly quiet on a matter that seems obvious to the majority of learned NRL followers.

Is it because this issue (could really cripple the game) is different from player misconduct (there will always be replacement players)?

Or are their tin foil hats not as good as ours?

Tiger5150

Bench
All the more reason to be banging on in the press about it and how they have come down hard on this issue. Then quietly forget about the fines later.

Seems strange they have gone quiet.

Nah thats par for the course with Greenberg.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
So will Penrith be receiving one on Monday for leaving an obviously concussed Moylan on in the early stages of today's game against the Cowboys? He didn't look right for about 5-10 minutes

OldPanther

Coach
So will Penrith be receiving one on Monday for leaving an obviously concussed Moylan on in the early stages of today's game against the Cowboys? He didn't look right for about 5-10 minutes

They should tbh. Though as Blues Riff said, he has a bit of a derp face normally.

Generalzod

Immortal
Researchers have uncovered the first evidence of Australian rugby league players with a degenerative brain condition commonly found in retired American NFL athletes, findings which will have massive implications for the NRL.

Clinicians from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, NSW Health Pathology and the University of Sydney's Brain And Mind Centre have discovered a local existence of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a state associated with repeated blows to the head.
Researchers have uncovered the first evidence of Australian rugby league players with a degenerative brain condition commonly found in retired American NFL athletes, findings which will have massive implications for the NRL.

Clinicians from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, NSW Health Pathology and the University of Sydney's Brain And Mind Centre have discovered a local existence of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a state associated with repeated blows to the head.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...-former-players-with-cte-20190626-p521ng.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure it will be that impacting, weve known this in boxing for decades yet the sport still exists. Minimise risk as much as possible, which the NRL is doing, be upfront and honest about the risk and let the sportsman/woman make their choice of they want to still play and take the risk.

I race in motorsport, I know I could die if I get it wrong or someone else gets it wrong, its a risk I take for the sport I enjoy.

Quicksilver

Bench
A couple of high profile elites will get some lucrative payouts but it will end with the demasculinization of the rest of us that play contact sport as an escape from our mundane desk jobs.

Good stuff.

Someguy

First Grade
Not sure it will be that impacting, weve known this in boxing for decades yet the sport still exists. Minimise risk as much as possible, which the NRL is doing, be upfront and honest about the risk and let the sportsman/woman make their choice of they want to still play and take the risk.

I race in motorsport, I know I could die if I get it wrong or someone else gets it wrong, its a risk I take for the sport I enjoy.

Pretty much this, the sport needs to do everything practical to reduce the risk, but as a collision sport the risk will always exist. Players need to be fully educated on the risks and then make their own decisions from there.

NRL is actually doing ok in managing the risk but a few examples stand out for me. Recently a bloke got up after being tackled and head butted the tackler, the player performing that potential brain damaging act was rewarded with a penalty while another player king hit someone in the back of the head (potentially fatal act) only for the player being struck to be sin binned. NRL needs to remove examples of encouraging striking to the head if it is to continue to exist.

As long as the sport is doing all it can to manage concussions, which I believe it is nowadays, then this shouldn't really have an effect on the NRL going forward. Maybe a few old players will seek a payout of some kind but that's about the only risk.

The worry is not the pro's that play the sport, the real risk is with the blokes who play in the scrub leagues every weekend and don't have doctors sitting on the sideline monitoring everything they do.

Tiger5150

Bench
I think everyone is kidding themselves that this will not have an impact on the NRL and RL in general but the threat will not come from where we expect.

Insurance companies will force change. Insurance companies are making massive differences in sport and are threatening to withdraw insurance for water skiing. They will make decisions for the powers that be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What does insurance cover in RL? Is it personal injury insurance? Back in my day you juts played, we didnt even consider having insurance against injury!
I know in motorsport it is so ridiculous that it isnt worth it.

grouch

First Grade

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...-former-players-with-cte-20190626-p521ng.html
Did they watch an episode of Queenslanders Only?

flippikat

Bench
As long as the sport is doing all it can to manage concussions, which I believe it is nowadays, then this shouldn't really have an effect on the NRL going forward. Maybe a few old players will seek a payout of some kind but that's about the only risk.

The worry is not the pro's that play the sport, the real risk is with the blokes who play in the scrub leagues every weekend and don't have doctors sitting on the sideline monitoring everything they do.

Good points made.

The old rules (or lack of rules) are astonishingly cavalier when it comes to *all* injuries.. but brain injury is especially shocking. It wouldn't surprise me if players as recently as the 1990s and early 2000s show symptoms as they age. The good thing is that rules on stuff like stand-down have tightened & testing is far more developed than it was.

It is a concern that lower grades and bush footy don't have the same resources, but it's still incumbent on the NRL and organisations under it (CRL, QRL etc) to set achievable rules and resource the lower levels enough to do a good enough job, given they don't have ALL the top tier tech.