What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL: New 16th Team

DIEHARD

----
New 16th Team

27 May 2005
The National Rugby League Partnership has announced today that the Gold Coast will be invited to participate in the 2007 Premiership Season.

The Partnership Executive Committee has also undertaken to encourage the staging of further games on the Central Coast and has confirmed the incentives on offer for an existing team to fully relocate to Gosford. The partnership stresses that no team will be forced into relocating.

Today’s expansion news comes as the Partnership authorizes further discussions in relation to television contracts.

It also coincides with the release of Rugby League’s strategic planning document for the next five years.

Before arriving at today’s decision the Partnership Committee had received reports on the progress of each of the bids since they were tabled in 2004.

Among the changes to the Gold Coast bid had been the confirmation of funding for a new stadium, an end to local disagreements over the naming of the club and a strengthening of the club’s financial position.

These factors along with South East Queensland’s larger population base weighed in the club’s favour.

Another was the advantage of establishing a third Queensland club in preference to another NSW team. The environment for existing NSW teams is already being pressured by the State Government’s poker machine taxes.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for Rugby League and for the Gold Coast,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop said today.

“Following the success of the Cowboys in the North and the ongoing strength of the Broncos, it is an opportune time to bring a third Queensland team into the game.

“Since the Partnership’s decision to defer this matter last year we have seen a multi million dollar investment in the Gold Coast bid from the Queensland Government and Gold Coast Council, we have a greater knowledge of the game’s likely future television revenues and we have seen the difficulties presented by taxation strategies in NSW.

“It has been a prudent wait until this point but it is now time to move forward.

“The Partnership wishes to stress that it will continue to work towards seeing a team playing out of the Central Coast.

“It remains a key area and its bid, backed by John Singleton, had a number of strengths.

“However, as well as Rugby League is growing, it is not in a position to effectively expand beyond 16 teams.

“The Partnership confirms its previous offer of incentives of $8million for an existing team to relocate to the Central Coast.”

Shifty

Juniors
Call them the Gold Coast Bye......

......If previous Gold Coast teams are anything to go by, any team that has the Bye is guaranteed 2 competition points.

DIEHARD

----
Shifty said:
Call them the Gold Coast Bye......

......If previous Gold Coast teams are anything to go by, any team that has the Bye is guaranteed 2 competition points.

Gold Coast Bye. :lol: I'll pay that!

Shifty

Juniors
Congratulations to the Gold Coast, great news. Bad luck to those supporting the Central Coast bid, hopefully they don't have to wait too much longer.

The Dogs V Cowboys should be huge tonight, hoping for the depleted Dogs to overcome a very tough Cowboys outfit.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bring on Captain Charger at Carrara tonight

I wonder if he will get a gig with the new franchise.

DIEHARD

----
Twizzle said:
Bring on Captain Charger at Carrara tonight

I wonder if he will get a gig with the new franchise.

That has to happen! We should petition the bid team.

They are Queenslanders, maybe they'll put him on the pay roll for a piss take.

He has probably let himself go during his 7 seasons of unemployment and has a gut....even better!

Congratulations and well done. Pity we've got to wait until 2007.

It also puts an end to all those silly Gold Coast Sharks rumours.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Great news. Good on you NRL and good luck to the Gold Coast :clap: That means I now have another ground to go to, maybe even holiday time up on the Gold Coast when the Knights play up there.

Esoj

Juniors
well done to the nrl for making a decision. They will proabbly struggle for there first few years but its great for the game.

Where will they be playing? Is the Council's development plan of Carrara still the plan? Or will Robina become an option? I hope the Carrara development takes place, as it would stop the AFL move for Carrara to become a used facility again

Esoj

Juniors
I believe they will play out of carrara for the first year while a new stadium is built at robina but gold fans will be able to help I am sure

Latest posts