What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Players Poll

I don't like the whole "middle" or "edge" forward SHIT.

Where is who's the best PROP in the game? FFS tossers. So the team of the year has 2 locks at prop?

Perth Tiger

Bench
remember these results are from April/May so they would be different now.

Not sure what the point of sitting on these results for so long do, apart from everyone getting a laugh when they look so wrong. Unless they have employed a former player like Watmough to do the survey the time lag is ridiculous.

Springs09

Juniors
They didn't seriously use middle and edge forwards as categories?

I know some dumbass coaches use them the same way but there's still a big difference between prop and lock. Victor Radley for example named at 13 this week plays a great locks game, but no way you'd put him at prop. Similarly Morgan and Ponga have played at 13 in a utility role for QLD the same way other playmakers have done so in the past, you can't say they were playing the same role as a prop. There's also a reason why Taumalolo, Trbojevic etc play in the 13 and not in the prop rotation.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
They didn't seriously use middle and edge forwards as categories?

I know some dumbass coaches use them the same way but there's still a big difference between prop and lock. Victor Radley for example named at 13 this week plays a great locks game, but no way you'd put him at prop. Similarly Morgan and Ponga have played at 13 in a utility role for QLD the same way other playmakers have done so in the past, you can't say they were playing the same role as a prop. There's also a reason why Taumalolo, Trbojevic etc play in the 13 and not in the prop rotation.

You're not serious?

Lets go back over the past 30 odd years.

Teams chose initially to have basically a third second rower, your Perpetual Motion Ray Prices, Billy Moores, Terry Mattersons even Brad Clydes, or a ball player or could easily alternate as a five eighth - Langmacks, Lewis, even Hasler and Fittler were at lock often enough. (A lot sometimes depended on the full back type that the teams had, that is was the full back a ball player or not).

Then fullbacks got expected to increase their involvement in attack, and presumably teams looked to stiffen the defence. So we got a generation of tackling locks (with the more typical second rower type) who weren't even that great at hit ups let alone ball play, Michael Lucks, David Staggs, Dallas Johnsons, or a more typical second rower type.

Then Adam Blair, Jeremy Smith, Sam Burgess and Gallen start playing in the middle as effectively props. And we basically see a tonne of middle forwards who are effectively props.

The old definitions of playing positions ascribing a role for "lock" just don't work anymore. They're meaningless. A "lock" can effectively be a glorified five eighth, second rower, or prop. I'd have no issue with Blair playing lock for his club and prop for NZ - nearly a decade ago, and Taumalolo can do the same for Tonga or NZ now. They don't change what they do at all. They play the same role, with a different number on their back. Just look at Gallen in Origin.

Last edited:

Jimmy Clark

Juniors
I was a lock forward in my day, was expected to complete a minimum of 30 tackles a game. Any less then that meant we put 50+ On a side. Bradley Clyde, wasn’t he brilliant. Ultimate ball running lock, Steve Menzies also equally brilliant.

Springs09

Juniors
You're not serious?

Lets go back over the past 30 odd years.

Teams chose initially to have basically a third second rower, your Perpetual Motion Ray Prices, Billy Moores, Terry Mattersons even Brad Clydes, or a ball player or could easily alternate as a five eighth - Langmacks, Lewis, even Hasler and Fittler were at lock often enough. (A lot sometimes depended on the full back type that the teams had, that is was the full back a ball player or not).

Then fullbacks got expected to increase their involvement in attack, and presumably teams looked to stiffen the defence. So we got a generation of tackling locks (with the more typical second rower type) who weren't even that great at hit ups let alone ball play, Michael Lucks, David Staggs, Dallas Johnsons, or a more typical second rower type.

Then Adam Blair, Jeremy Smith, Sam Burgess and Gallen start playing in the middle as effectively props. And we basically see a tonne of middle forwards who are effectively props.

The old definitions of playing positions ascribing a role for "lock" just don't work anymore. They're meaningless. A "lock" can effectively be a glorified five eighth, second rower, or prop. I'd have no issue with Blair playing lock for his club and prop for NZ - nearly a decade ago, and Taumalolo can do the same for Tonga or NZ now. They don't change what they do at all. They play the same role, with a different number on their back. Just look at Gallen in Origin.

'The old definitions' were where you packed in in the scrum. By those definitions all position names are meaningless.

A lock could always be a glorified five-eighth, second rower or prop. You used a lot of paragraphs to say a whole lot of nothing.

The point is lock does not automatically = prop and so shouldn't be in the same category.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
'The old definitions' were where you packed in in the scrum. By those definitions all position names are meaningless.

A lock could always be a glorified five-eighth, second rower or prop. You used a lot of paragraphs to say a whole lot of nothing.

The point is lock does not automatically = prop and so shouldn't be in the same category.

No your point is lock does not automatically = prop, when my point is Taumalolo plays every bit as a prop, so it really doesn't matter.

No, not all position names are meaningless, but "lock" becoming "middle forward" is a sensible development, because whether some guys play in the #8, #10, or #13, that's where they play.

Latest posts