What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL players to strike at RLWC

Last Week

Bench
As much as we would like to believe that Cameron Smith has done more harm than good by threatening the World Cup, the majority of the NRL fans don't seem to be giving a shit.

I feel there is similar sentiment in the public about the current debacle with Australian Cricket players threatening to boycott the Ashes series.

Both sets of players should be ashamed of themselves.

If they wanted to do a proper protest, they should boycott sponsorship events.

docbrown

Coach
*IF* the players did this - and I doubt it would happen but people are stupid and greedy so you never know - but that would be the end of public support for their cause from hardcore league fans who follow the international game.

It hasn't happened yet so NRL fans will dismiss it as speculation but when it does happen, it will just look bad for everyone but mostly for the millionaire players screwing with the minnow nations. Terrible optics.

adamkungl

Immortal
There is literally zero evidence of Cameron Smith threatening the World Cup.

Nevertheless, hopefully the WC organisers get on the front foot and publicly point out to both the RLPA and the NRL that any potential attacks on the WC as a protest action serve no useful purpose, since is not run by the NRL, more likely harming the players position.

It would have no effect on the NRL thus can't be used as a bargaining chip, but would harm the overall popularity of the sport, ruin any goodwill for players, and cripple future international employment opportunities for RL players. Effectively, an own goal, since if there were more international opportunities they would have stronger leverage against the NRL.

roughyedspud

Coach
The RLWC showcases the ability of the host NGB to host major events and provide valuable funds for the RLIF.....that's how the RLPA can kick the ARLC/NRL in the nuts

roughyedspud

Coach
Let's say the worst happens and the Aussie NRL players go on strike...what team represents Australia? a team made up QLD&NSW cup players?? players without NRL contracts??

Burns

First Grade
Let's say the worst happens and the Aussie NRL players go on strike...what team represents Australia? a team made up QLD&NSW cup players?? players without NRL contracts??
Steve Mascord has been giddy at this prospect all day.

roughyedspud

Coach
Has he? I tweeted him that one of his articles was nonsense yesterday and I've not checked back since lol

He raised the prospect that Scotland could play Samoa in the rep round next year,I told him it was nonsense, there'll be Pacific tests,European tests and if we're lucky north American tests...or words to that affect...I was half drunk so...you know...lol

siv

First Grade
If they boycott - pick a team from non NRL contracted players to represent Australia

Not that hard

Would bring in the country folk

Imagine the next Slippery Morris representing Australia from the bush

Just move the SFS games to Bathurst

MKCS

Juniors

Probably would pick the best players in the English Super League/Australian lower leagues and a few off contract NRL players. Hard team to pick, did my best with my limited knowledge:

1. Ben Barba 2. Corey Thompson 3. Willie Tonga 4. Justin Carney 5. Jake Mamo 6. Todd Carney 7. Albert Kelly 8. Michael Weyman 9. Ryan Hinchcliffe 10. Ashton Sims 11. Cory Paterson 12. Glenn Stewart 13. Greg Bird (C) 14. David Fifita 15. Jack Buchanan 16. Trent Waterhouse 17. Kurt Gidley

---

Pretty dire with only Barba, Bird and potentially Stewart being at NRL level. I think this team would struggle to get out of the group stage.

morningstar

Juniors
Mannering knows....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11871332

Warriors' Mannering dismisses idea of World Cup boycott

Warriors' forward Simon Mannering has ruled out the prospect of a players' boycott of the upcoming Rugby League World Cup.

Australian media raised the possibility last week of a strike during the World Cup, which starts on October 27, in light of the continuing inability of the Rugby League Players Association and the NRL to come to an agreement on the new collective bargaining agreement.

The NRL's new broadcasting deal, believed to be worth more than A$2 billion, comes into force next year but there is still no deal on how the proceeds will be split, with the two parties said to be tens of millions apart.

The Daily Telegraph reported last week that a Cup strike has been discussed informally between the RLPA and players, but Mannering poured cold water on the idea and said he would never contemplate such an action.

"No, no way," said Mannering. "And I am sure if you talk to a lot of other guys that wouldn't as well. I definitely don't see that happening and definitely won't be supporting it."

Mannering agrees the players need to fight for a better deal, but says the World Cup would be the wrong target.

"I don't know who has tossed that up," said Mannering. "I don't think that is the way to go about it, striking at a World Cup.

"The NRL has nothing to do with the World Cup. The World Cup is a totally separate entity and the only thing that will hurt are the guys that are at the lower end that get a chance to play for their country and play [in the] World Cup. There are other ways we can try and get our point across."

However, Mannering added that he is fully supportive of the RLPA's drive to gain a more equitable deal for its members, especially those on the lower rung of the NRL ladder.

"They don't get a fair share [but] that's where the minimum wage is at," said Mannering. "At the moment there are 25 players [under the cap] but I don't know if you could name one club that has 25 players full time. It's more like 35 at least."