What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 1 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Gee, I'd hate to do footy-tipping! Just look at the match-ups here. For example, last year's wooden spooner's and general NRL joke, Newcastle, at home against Manly in Friday night footy, but at that dud six pm slot. I'd back Newcastle here. A proud club, they've had a good off-season in regard to recruitment, haven't they?

And wow, it's amazing how a new season always comes around. The summer's gone, a sad one for me personally (as most will know I lost my little cat Kiwi) but a big part of 'getting on with life' is a new footy season and barring hell, or lawyers, it never fails to kick-off again.

Melbourne, albeit Cronk-less, are still favourites. Let's watch his replacement (Croft?) play to a high standard. Melbourne have that ability, their refusal to be second-best at anything.

Pundits have written off the Tigers, which is a mistake. Good, big forwards, fast backs, no poisonous personalities and an ace coach. I think they're my second side. The Roosters are a bit over-confident, I reckon, but that goes with the territory. Bondi is Sydney to the celebrity-set. Cronk's landing there has just added to that.

Match of the round has to be Cows v Sharks, in Townsville. Heck, these sides, their rosters, their recent form, their coaches, just scare me. The Warriors seem so far behind. But let's (generally) talk about us in another thread.

Roll on Thursday night...it's already cold and wet in Sydney.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Welcome back Blair

Looking forward to watching a few games this weekend, normally takes me a month or so to get back into it properly again. Wife away for the weekend so will be able to watch any games that I want too

Blair

Coach
Welcome back Blair

Looking forward to watching a few games this weekend, normally takes me a month or so to get back into it properly again. Wife away for the weekend so will be able to watch any games that I want too

Cheers Beave.

Any chance Tof Sipley plays first grade in the first few rounds? I'm following his progress with interest.

I was on the NBs during Xmas. Brookvale Oval brought back fond memories (from working there mostly, and the footy of course) but it really is a ramshackle old place, ay? Leave it with me and I'd keep it as it is, but more progressive types would be hanging out for a new stadium.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Nope don't think we will see Tof straight away, apparently Tanginoa has been killing it and has secured a bench spot and Lane has had a big pre season as well with a view to moving him into the middle of the park

Love Brookvale, facilities don't really bother me, but I love the old hill and give me paying $25 to be on there close to halfway than $40 for a bucket seat near a tryline. It does need some work but I love the character of it, much like Leichhardt. Sadly haven't been there for a few years now and will be a few yet before I'm back I'd say

Just checking other team lists
Gubb not in the 17
Tui at fullback
Lillyman starting
Hoffman starting
Tigers have an all warrior front row with Packer, Godinet, Matulino

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Gubb not in the 17 - he's use to that
Tui at fullback - nobody else at Tigers more suited IMO
Lillyman starting - no surprises
Hoffman starting - he only wants to beat one team and thats us
Tigers have an all warrior front row with Packer, Godinet, Matulino - Godinet needs to work on being a permanent fixture

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Won't it be gutting if he rips it up?

saw an article last week where he was going on about it being the first time he has been fit for a long time etc, real kick in the teeth to Warriors fans there

Has bought a nice big house with his new Mrs so at least the money has been used wisely

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
saw an article last week where he was going on about it being the first time he has been fit for a long time etc, real kick in the teeth to Warriors fans there

Has bought a nice big house with his new Mrs so at least the money has been used wisely

Yeah, I don't like the guy anymore. I rated him immensely at Manly and was excited about him coming to us, but he got a year's paid holiday at our pleasure. I don't particularly wish him any luck at the Dogs at all, to tell the truth.

Latest posts