What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 10 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
First up is probably the round's highlight, Tigers v Cowboys at historic Leichhardt Oval. The Tigers, after such an impressive start to the season, appear to have the wobbles, with the prospect of losing four in a row, whilst the Cowboys simply cannot afford to lose.

So there you go, from the comfort of a Warriors lounge-room, it's the perfect game to kick-off the round.

The Knights are doing themselves out of a serious comeback this season, watching them last week they made so many silly mistakes, at important times, that they counted themselves out of the game.

The big Friday night game, Bulldogs v Eels, has 'SYDNEY' written all over it. But both teams face the prospect of being dead-last on the table by this Sunday. That's got to be worrying for both league fans and administrators in the NRL heartland.

The Roosters are crossing the ditch and taking their 'hardmen' with them. Personally, I can't wait for Afoa to run into Napa and see what happens. Last season we'd have dismissed this 'confrontation' as a mismatch.

The Rabbits will seriously test the Dragons, you watch. They're not as fancied as other teams this year but don't underestimate them.

Raiders v Sharks finish off another great round of NRL footy. With so many teams camped mid-table, it only takes a couple of wins on the trot and a team goes from two or three outside the eight, to two or three inside it.

What can ruin such a fine balance mid-season? Oh yeah, that's right, Origin.

Blair

Coach
While plenty of time left, red pen threw Cowboys if they lose tonight?

I'd say so. They just look so slow in their attack, don't they?

On the other side it's great to see Balmain, a-hem, I mean Wests Tigers, on fire at their spiritual home. It was freezing tonight, so it feels like footy season is finally here.

Mahe Fonua is the new Hoppa! Minus the grub-stuff of course. He's just got that hilarious vibe to him. Chuck him in Origin!

Some interesting moments in Knight v Panthers.

Heighington punch to DWZ eye in tackle unnoticed when DWZ left on ground.

Panthers standing in front of ref around their 40m and no penalty (After a warning 10mins before on goal line)

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
On the other side it's great to see Balmain, a-hem, I mean Wests Tigers, on fire at their spiritual home. It was freezing tonight, so it feels like footy season is finally here.

Tigers could well be the giant killers if they keep the momentum going.. such a balanced team.

Benji is playing like he' 10 years younger.

Blair

Coach

Tigers could well be the giant killers if they keep the momentum going.. such a balanced team.

Benji is playing like he' 10 years younger.

Meth mentioned the 2005 GF. That was Marshall's third NRL season! Fifteen years in first grade, and more to come.

I love it how Mooks is going ace, but I still feel a lovely warm glow each time the camera shows Cleary up in the coach's box.

A 'Balmain' game at trendy Leichhardt is on my bucket list. No Warriors there either, I want to cheer the home team.

I was there last year for the Warriors v Roos ISP Semi, and got a bit misty for a second when I thought of Sonny Fai storming up that lefthand touchline in a cracking game in '08. We won, but only just. The Tigers came back late, Hodgson needed the conversion to force extra-time, which the Tigers would've likely won. He missed.

But yeah, Sonny and this precious thing we call life.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Meanwhile Foran remains busted and a husk of the player he was...

I hope the Bulldogs didn't think their four-year deal with Foran was going to take them to new heights?

Hindsight is great but I think we did the right thing giving him a shot with us. We were desperate for that halves partner with Johnson, many people (including me) thought it was him.

The main thing that cooled my enthusiasm was him needing clearance from the NRL, which translated to him not being allowed to play the whole season. That's always a worrying start.

ozbash

Referee
A 'Balmain' game at trendy Leichhardt is on my bucket list. No Warriors there either, I want to cheer the home team.

Yea.. I was the same.. always wanted to go to a game at Leichardt and went a couple of years ago.. fantastic up on the hill..
Always liked Balmain.. Freeman, Garry Jack, Sironen and of course, Laurie Nichols.

Funny place.. planes flew over the top of us every couple of minutes... loved the whole deal..

WellsNZ

Juniors
Titans will be lucky to finish this game with 13 bodies on the field.

Feel for them, they put up a brave fight.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We haven't helped ourselves with a few dropped balls, but shit it would be nice to get a fair crack against the Broncos !
Started off well, then the refs find 4 penalties on the bounce and a try with no conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground, and another try off a forward pass to Thaiday and all of a sudden the struggling side is on the back foot again

Most frustrating part is the same penalties aren't being called the other way

Blair

Coach
We haven't helped ourselves with a few dropped balls, but shit it would be nice to get a fair crack against the Broncos !
Started off well, then the refs find 4 penalties on the bounce and a try with no conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground, and another try off a forward pass to Thaiday and all of a sudden the struggling side is on the back foot again

Most frustrating part is the same penalties aren't being called the other way

Looks like you roared home, Beave.

Results like that are often season-turners.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The key players all hit form on the same night and went through Brisbane at will in periods of the game

Souths looking good today