What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 11 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
It kicks-off tonight with possibly the game of the round, Panthers v Tigers, two sides that could really surprise in September (and even October!)

Cleary is back, and the Panthers went good in his absence, only losing two out of seven without him. As mentioned in this thread last week, Benji is playing like he's ten years younger, so tonight's halves battle should be good: Cleary & Maloney v Marshall & Brooks.

The Eels will fancy themselves tomorrow night and, in doing so, might make a mockery of the current ladder positions. There's word that they'll have too much in 'attack and defence for the Warriors at the moment'. One thing's for certain, there'll definitely be plenty of empty seats: 6PM kick-off, the Eels not going so well, the Warriors coming off an alarming hiding and that dinosaur of a stadium.

Disjointed Broncos are back in their safe space of Lang Park on a Friday night. We'll see how safe it really is if those angry Roosters forwards decide to back up from their display last weekend.

Titans v Knights, a potential Wooden Spoon battle there. Sorry guys.

Cowboys at home to the Rabbitohs. It's good night, nurse for the Cowboys if they lose. But we've been saying that for weeks. They used to say 'cockroaches and Helen Clark' would survive a nuclear war, but we might add the Cowboys to that.

Manly facing the Storm again with Cam Smith suspended might think about another 40-0 hiding, and they've definitely showed some form last week. There's been some unpredictable results this year so don't laugh at that prospect! Big Tof Sipley is making his first grade debut for Manly.

The Dragons and Sharks at home will likely beat the bottom-eight Raiders and Bulldogs respectively. The Raiders are a very watchable side but losing when games get tight. The Bulldogs are just uninspiring right now. I thought they'd have a fresh new feel after crowbarring Dessie out?

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Looks like Dad gets to so the dishes for the week while Nathan gets to put his feet up.

I'm not sure the 'kid' should still be living at home. For starters, does he eavesdrop on dad's phonecalls?

Family comes before footy though, as Warriors fans we know that.

He was brilliant on the field last night, and will learn heaps more with Maloney outside him, ala Johnson in 2011/12.

Panthers might win it this year.

TheDMC

Bench
Penrith were excellent, totally controlled football. Gave the brave but outclassed Tigpies no chance. Let’s gone warriors.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm not sure the 'kid' should still be living at home. For starters, does he eavesdrop on dad's phonecalls?

Family comes before footy though, as Warriors fans we know that.

He was brilliant on the field last night, and will learn heaps more with Maloney outside him, ala Johnson in 2011/12.

Panthers might win it this year.

Haha! That's a good point. Would be some cagey conversations at home. And does Ivan still 'coach' him and give advice, or not? Nathan is a gun so he's done something right.

Looking forward to seeing how Tof Sipley goes.

Blair

Coach
Haha! That's a good point. Would be some cagey conversations at home. And does Ivan still 'coach' him and give advice, or not? Nathan is a gun so he's done something right.

Looking forward to seeing how Tof Sipley goes.

Tof's dad lives on the Northern Beaches. He'll be as proud as. He was at every Sydney game for Warriors reserves when his sons were playing.

Blair

Coach
Penrith were excellent, totally controlled football. Gave the brave but outclassed Tigpies no chance. Let’s gone warriors.

After being on a natural high right now on my home from the Olympic Stadium and a mighty Warriors win, I shuddered a bit when we stopped at Penrith. If any team's going to give us another hiding this year it is them.

I'll be there too.

Izz

Bench
Brisbane beating Roosters is a good result for us. Leaves both 2 wins behind us. Sadly, cant see Storm, Sharks or Bunnies losing this round though

Brisbane gets out of jail there.
Napa gets 10 for a flying headbutt with 5 to go and 22all.
Got away with higher more deliberate shots last week.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hope Napa gets a few weeks for that headbutt. Guy's a stain

Massive, MASSIVE stain. And not actually a good footballer. Just a grub, but we know with Gallen, Bird etc that gets celebrated as a 'competitor' (but Napa isn't half the player they were).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I'm on the other side of the fence with napa, I'd rather watch a guy with his style than all the cuddlers and hold them up til a mate arrives that is in the game these days. Sure it will go wrong at times, it often does with those types of players, it doesn't make them grubs imo, when you are sailing on the edge of the line, occasionally something will go wrong and you'll pay the price, as the likes of Burgess, Wiki, Matai, Lomax etc have found out over the years. The true grubs of the game are the guys who do the chicken wings/grapples/ankle twists/slide in after tackles etc

On that shot last night, for me it isn't a penalty, and I don't like the precedent it sets. Essentially it was a head clash, which looked worse because he went in with intent to put a good shot on. I don't recall seeing a headclash penalised and binned before, they will need to keep doing that from now on but of course we know they won't. Once again Brisbane benefit from a late game call. If that is a sin bin offence, then in the past Kidwell v Mason should have seen Kidwell off the park, and Villasanti should have sat down in the grand final

Last edited:

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I always get the impression that Napa is a bit simple rather than a grub. That he doesn't do it to be deliberately dirty, but he just doesn't know any better, has bad technique that he sees as being tough and sometimes gets carried away. Like a less likeable Adrian Morley or (shudder) a John Hopoate

I'm on the other side of the fence with napa, I'd rather watch a guy with his style than all the cuddlers and hold them up til a mate arrives that is in the game these days. Sure it will go wrong at times, it often does with those types of players, it doesn't make them grubs imo, when you are sailing on the edge of the line, occasionally something will go wrong and you'll pay the price, as the likes of Burgess, Wiki, Matai, Lomax etc have found out over the years. The true grubs of the game are the guys who do the chicken wings/grapples/ankle twists/slide in after tackles etc

On that shot last night, for me it isn't a penalty, and I don't like the precedent it sets. Essentially it was a head clash, which looked worse because he went in with intent to put a good shot on. I don't recall seeing a headclash penalised and binned before, they will need to keep doing that from now on but of course we know they won't. Once again Brisbane benefit from a late game call. If that is a sin bin offence, then in the past Kidwell v Mason should have seen Kidwell off the park, and Villasanti should have sat down in the grand final

It was weird, he looked to put a shot on with his left shoulder (I think) then Sims stepped inside, but it made him look like he was leading with his head, very awkward looking and made it look deliberate.
Did Napa have his eyes closed?
Bunker made that call.
A good lawyer will get him off.

Burgess shot on Seymour much worse.

Roosters just stood and watched in defence those last few minutes and didnt play as a team, some individuals up other back.
Some of the attempts to tackle where hilarious, I think it was Cronk who looked like a wobbly ten pin that you needed to fall over for a strike on the last try.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Is it me or are there no really outstanding teams this year?

Guess the Dragons

Means we have a chance IMO

Guess the Dragons

Most teams not consistent and favourites not winning larger than 70% of games (my guess)

At the end of the day the comp comes down to a 4 game tournament after 25 rounds. String 4 wins together you win the Premiership. Finish top 4 and you only need 3 win in a row (the last 3).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Guess the Dragons

For me we only have the Dragons, Warriors and Tigers consistently playing close to their potential each week, I should include Penrith in that based on ladder position, but I think they have plenty more in them

Outside of those teams all the others are massively inconsistent, with teams like the Storm and Roosters, when they are on you can see they are a cut above, but they aren't producing that week in week out so you don't know what you are going to get from them

Dragons I see the ability to win it, Warriors and Tigers I think will struggle come finals time if one of those hot sides is on their game

Put a line through Titans, Eels, Manly, Dogs, Knights as potential premiers for me, with the pen hovering just above the Cowboys and Raiders due to potential in their side, but I can't see that happening. I would write Brisbane off too but the refs will do enough to keep them in the fight. 15 straight wins under Gerard Sutton now ...

Based on potential I'd have Dragons, Penrith, Storm and Roosters the most likely with Souths hovering very close behind them if S Burgess can stay on the park

Reactions: JJ

Big Marn

Juniors
i thought Roosters were home for the money in that game. Looked easily the better attacking team for most of the game but made so many errors, it eventually caught up with them.
Regarding Jimmy the Jet, after last year when he kicked that guy on the ground, i dont particularly have much time for him,and seeing him get that knee in the nuts last night was gratifying. However, that try he got was sensational... damn it. ><

Latest posts