What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 12 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
"Some big match-ups next round." Cheers Izz from last week's thread, that's saved me looking for an intro to this week.

This round might be a bit of an anti-climax after all the drama from the last. There's nothing like a bit of biff and some bins and a send-off to get people excited again!

Massive game on Friday night, Cows v Storm. Both teams really keen to win it for different reasons. The Cows, it's obvious, their season's been a nightmare. The Storm would be very worried about their form this year, there's no real flow to their play from week-to-week.

Almost half-way through the season and if the Storm lose, and the Broncos beat the Eels (highly likely), the Chooks beat the Titans (likely) and the Tigers beat the Bulldogs (likely) then Melbourne drop out of the eight!

All those teams are playing at home, but Melbourne are away, so that just adds to the intrigue.

Match of the round is still Panthers v Dragons on Saturday night. Sure, if the Dragons lose they'll still be top of the ladder (as they've been all season, and they're not losing by 27 this weekend!) but it'll be a real show of force by Penrith if they win. The downside to Penrith's form is that they'll probably lose both their halves to Origin, which is ominously just around the corner.

Souths can go to 2nd if they win on Saturday, very few picked that earlier in the season. A 'champion team' rather than a 'team of champions' that's for sure.

Last edited:

Izz

Bench
Yeah, Panthers v Dragons is massive, imo. If Dragons lose I can see them starting a slide. If Panthers win that might make them minor premiership favourites (provided they can snag a couple wins through Origin).

I want to see us give it everything heading into the bye. Treat it like a semi. The Bunnies have come good & if we're not fully on they'll do a Melbourne/Roosters on us

Let's see how the refs view the dummy half passes into the opposition on the ground in the ruck this round.
Been told to pull the bastards up for deliberately throwing it into them.

"Some big match-ups next round." Cheers Izz from last week's thread, that's saved me looking for an intro to this week.

This round might be a bit of an anti-climax after all the drama from the last. There's nothing like a bit of biff and some bins and a send-off to get people excited again!

Massive game on Friday night, Cows v Storm. Both teams really keen to win it for different reasons. The Cows, it's obvious, their season's been a nightmare. The Storm would be very worried about their form this year, there's no real flow to their play from week-to-week.

Almost half-way through the season and if the Storm lose, and the Broncos beat the Eels (highly likely), the Chooks beat the Titans (likely) and the Tigers beat the Bulldogs (likely) then Melbourne drop out of the eight!

All those teams are playing at home, but Melbourne are away, so that just adds to the intrigue.

Match of the round is still Panthers v Dragons on Saturday night. Sure, if the Dragons lose they'll still be top of the ladder (as they've been all season, and they're not losing by 53 this weekend!) but it'll be a real show of force by Penrith if they win. The downside to Penrith's form is that they'll probably lose both their halves to Origin, which is ominously just around the corner.

Souths can go to 2nd if they win on Saturday, very few picked that earlier in the season. A 'champion team' rather than a 'team of champions' that's for sure.

Both Dragons and Panthers will lose a few to SOO.
Time for us to step up.

Benek

Juniors
Let's see how the refs view the dummy half passes into the opposition on the ground in the ruck this round.
Been told to pull the bastards up for deliberately throwing it into them.
I think penalising them is a mistake here. Should just be play on. Now players will lay in the ruck trying to milk a penalty from the attacking team, and it will be a weird 50/50 grey area for the ref to decide which way the penalty goes. Play-on would have been clean and clear and easier to ref.

I think penalising them is a mistake here. Should just be play on. Now players will lay in the ruck trying to milk a penalty from the attacking team, and it will be a weird 50/50 grey area for the ref to decide which way the penalty goes. Play-on would have been clean and clear and easier to ref.
Very merky indeed that they have to judge deliberate.
Im expecting Milf (a serial offender) to look up but throw the ball down into the player at some stage.

What happens in play on if opposition gets the ball from deliberate laying in ruck?

Big Marn

Juniors
Something had to change. It was utter exploitation of a stupid rule.

Unfortunately, to make this work, common sense has to prevail....something NRL refs have in very short supply....

Blair

Coach
Something had to change. It was utter exploitation of a stupid rule.

Unfortunately, to make this work, common sense has to prevail....something NRL refs have in very short supply....

I just did my annual watch of the famous, full-broadcast of the Tigers v Warriors Semi in '11. Robbie Farah pings a penalty from Luck trapped in the ruck, and it was at a bloody crucial stage of the game, both sides' season on the line.

Luck was ropable.

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
How has Ricky not dumped Austin for Ata yet? The guy can't defend... at least Ata (possibly) has a future in the halves at the Raiders.

He really is the killer of halves.

Blair

Coach
Cows gone.
Would of been nice for Warriors position on table if Cows had got up there against the Storm.

Speaking with some NQs the other day they said it's obvious the club needs a clean-out, but everyone doesn't want it to happen as they're really attached to most of the players.

It sounds a bit like the Warriors circa 2012/13.