What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 2 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Great afternoons viewing, loved every second of it

Parra were awful, but I guess it makes for a long afternoon when you have Taupau, Fonua-Blake, Perrett, Lane, Tanginoa and Trbojevic coming at you relentlessly all afternoon

Brian Kelly was great last week and gave Hayne an absolute bath this afternoon. Don't think we can win a comp but could be a good season if the pack keep performing like that and we can throw Dylan Walker into the backline

Blair

Coach
Glad you enjoyed it, Beave.

But while I've got you why can't Manly just leave things be when it comes to playing the Warriors at home?

You haven't hosted us at Brookvale for years. I was looking forward to heading over there this year, but no, you've got it in Christchurch. I know you'll enjoy it though.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Lol I can't complain about the placement of the game this season

I think in general the Warriors were always one of the poorest drawing games so they choose that game as one to take away from Brookie each year

Cold Roses

Juniors
I guess it makes for a long afternoon when you have Taupau, Fonua-Blake, Perrett, Lane, Tanginoa and Trbojevic coming at you relentlessly all afternoon

How good is Fonua-Blake going? I'm hoping he stays committed to the Kiwis. A Bromwich/Asofa -Solomona, Tapau/Fonua-Blake Storm/Manly 1-2 punch for the Kiwis looks pretty good for the next few years. Manly have got a pretty intimidating forward pack at the moment.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
How good is Fonua-Blake going? I'm hoping he stays committed to the Kiwis. A Bromwich/Asofa -Solomona, Tapau/Fonua-Blake Storm/Manly 1-2 punch for the Kiwis looks pretty good for the next few years. Manly have got a pretty intimidating forward pack at the moment.

Outstanding yesterday, saw a couple of weeks back that he is the best post contact metres man in the comp.

Perrett blew them apart when he came on yesterday too so a year of that and he would be in talks for the Kiwis too

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Manly sensational, no doubt about it. Bloody good seeing a coach like Barrett up in the box openly loving what he's seeing too.

Conversely though, what the hell was that from Parra. That's a side who came 4th in the regular season, haven't lost too much, playing like a lock for the wooden spoon. You don't lose by 50 unless you're completely pea-hearted or decimated by injury/Wayne Bennett's stint at your club. What a pathetic effort.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And for those who get bored of me prattling on about the great man, Ivan Cleary just coached a pair of wins from his team - tipped by some to get the spoon - to beat two sides a lot of people have in the GF this year. And who gives a shizen if they were low-scoring affairs? We used to enjoy our 8-0 wins over the Storm in the wet, right? To go to Melbourne and beat the Storm, keep them to 8 in Slater's 300th when that club goes as giddy as any of them for milestone games, is just incredible. He's a magnificent coach and he'll win premierships one day.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Outstanding yesterday, saw a couple of weeks back that he is the best post contact metres man in the comp.

Perrett blew them apart when he came on yesterday too so a year of that and he would be in talks for the Kiwis too

I think Perrett committed to Queensland and was named in the emerging Squad last year. Bit disappointing, but unlike Sam, it seems he considers himself more Australian. Good luck to him though. He's an interesting contrast to some of our Juniors. Seems like he's been around forever, coming through the Bulldogs reserves and never quite making the jump to first grade, but unlike a lot of our guys, he's been prepared to plug away and wait for his opportunities.

JJ

Immortal
And for those who get bored of me prattling on about the great man, Ivan Cleary just coached a pair of wins from his team - tipped by some to get the spoon - to beat two sides a lot of people have in the GF this year. And who gives a shizen if they were low-scoring affairs? We used to enjoy our 8-0 wins over the Storm in the wet, right? To go to Melbourne and beat the Storm, keep them to 8 in Slater's 300th when that club goes as giddy as any of them for milestone games, is just incredible. He's a magnificent coach and he'll win premierships one day.
Good coach no mistake

His kid is a special talent too

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Manly sensational, no doubt about it. Bloody good seeing a coach like Barrett up in the box openly loving what he's seeing too.

Conversely though, what the hell was that from Parra. That's a side who came 4th in the regular season, haven't lost too much, playing like a lock for the wooden spoon. You don't lose by 50 unless you're completely pea-hearted or decimated by injury/Wayne Bennett's stint at your club. What a pathetic effort.

It was ridiculous, on paper and for the 1st half last week they looked top 4 candidates but they turned it up very early yesterday.

I'm not in the Hayne hater club at all, but he was woeful, and should not be getting towelled up by a 20yo. And with Freddy watching that from close on hand you'd think there might be a line through his name for origin now

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I know this gets said every year, but this year is definitely the closest comp I've seen going on the 1st 2 rounds

There are a couple of squads that look a cut above, but below them you could throw a blanket over the rest, might be a year where injuries to star players have a huge say in the top 8. The teams tipped to run in the bottom few are a lot more competitive this year, no better example than Ivan's tigers tipping over 2 of the heavyweights

Can see a big roller coaster of a season ahead for many teams

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think Perrett committed to Queensland and was named in the emerging Squad last year. Bit disappointing, but unlike Sam, it seems he considers himself more Australian. Good luck to him though. He's an interesting contrast to some of our Juniors. Seems like he's been around forever, coming through the Bulldogs reserves and never quite making the jump to first grade, but unlike a lot of our guys, he's been prepared to plug away and wait for his opportunities.

Wasn't aware of that, a shame because he has started to come good. The Dogs gave him big coin on potential then shafted him to get his contract off the books, some weeks he was fit to play and not even picked in reserve grade.

Not a story I've seen reported in NZ at all, but he nearly died during pre season training, collapsed twice in the heat and was lucky the right people were close at hand and knew what to do

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I know this gets said every year, but this year is definitely the closest comp I've seen going on the 1st 2 rounds

There are a couple of squads that look a cut above, but below them you could throw a blanket over the rest, might be a year where injuries to star players have a huge say in the top 8. The teams tipped to run in the bottom few are a lot more competitive this year, no better example than Ivan's tigers tipping over 2 of the heavyweights

Can see a big roller coaster of a season ahead for many teams

Yeah, completely agree. I still can't see the Bunnies, Titans, Raiders and Bulldogs doing anything this year...three new coaches and one who has his own thread he's that ridiculous.

Eels Tigers is my game of the round next week, if the Eels are 0-3 there's real panic stations. And they'll have to work their arses off to get a win, will they want to?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It was ridiculous, on paper and for the 1st half last week they looked top 4 candidates but they turned it up very early yesterday.

I'm not in the Hayne hater club at all, but he was woeful, and should not be getting towelled up by a 20yo. And with Freddy watching that from close on hand you'd think there might be a line through his name for origin now

Too early to judge...but he was woeful. I also noted he was doing something he did a lot last year, which is when he and the team are getting towelled up he starts swearing and acting frustrated. Not digging in and showing the way, just tries to put on a pissed off veteran facade. As you say, getting done like a dinner by a 20-year-old greenhorn just shouldn't happen. Watch this space on him I guess.

JJ

Immortal
Bloody Sam Mckendry did his ACL again.

Poor bugger! Hope he keeps his head up
Yeah that's devastating poor guy, amazing how some have these ridiculous runs

He's a quality prop and I was impressed that Brennan took the time to comment suggests Sam is a good bloke too

Really feel for him. Same thing over and over is really depressing

Latest posts