What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 20 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Heck, a round with two digits and a two in front (20 - for those whose brains aren't working so good today). That's apt because I'm starting off with a Hoppa comment. He's back, he's bloody hopeless. As he said himself, 'he can't help himself'.

Apparently, it was his first game in Manly 'A' Grade for a while and he got up to no good in the first tackle when coming on as a sub.

Anyway, back to the NRL. As discussed, the refs are playing a part in ladder positions. Most notably, the Sharks have benefited from four competition points which they probably shouldn't have. They should be eighth on the ladder, not the Warriors, and Canberra should still be in the hunt for a play-off spot.

Massive game tonight, Brisbane v Sharks. Gee, the Warriors probably want the Sharks to win, as we look nervously over our shoulders at a dogfight for eighth spot.

The Tigers are definitely playing for a finals place, but they're 'away' to the desperate Dogs, who're real wooden spoon candidates. Big ex-Warrior Ofahiki Ogden is now a starting forward for Canterbury. Good on him.

Cows v Knights. Interesting, as the Knights are still (sort of) in the hunt and the Cows are coming off five straight losses at home. It's getting close to JT's last home game for the Cowboys, that'll be huge, but he deserves a much better finish than this.

Storm v Raiders, last shot for Sticky in 2018. He would've expected better. I wonder if he'll be back?

Sea Eagles v Panthers. Two coaches under some pressure. I'd know who I'd rather be, and that's the one that doesn't have Gus stalking the corridors. Go Trent! We know you can do it (for us).

Roosters v Dragons, who do we want? A draw I reckon. That way we can leapfrog over them without worrying about their formidable for and against.

That leaves the Titans. We.Know.They.Can.Win. How so? Because we've been Warriors fans for too long.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Retro Round this weekend, 90s themed

A real golden era, when I came into watching rugby league as well, so many great memories from that time, some that spring to mind personally

91 GF, first one I saw, Royce Simmons with a rare double

Staying up late to watch the highlights around 10pm on TV2 with Hughes and Lowe calling

Making mum get the paper early on a Monday morning so I could look up the results before school

Spud v Chief

Hours spent playing ETs Rugby League on the computer

Mullins amazing 4 try games v the Knights and Broncos with plenty of length of the field efforts

Laurie Nichols in his Singlet at Leichhardt. "Benny Elias says come and try us" "Wayne Pearce he's so fierce" "Garry Jack worlds best back" as he was shadow boxing

Footy Cards, 50c a pack with a stick of gum in there. Would study them for hours, remember being amazed that some old looking bloke called Kenny had 110 tries

State of Origin brawls, and the miracle try from Coyne in 94

The Bears finding new ways to bomb out each year

When radio sport come along in the late 90s, in the days when multiple games were played at the same time, tuning into the main game on the ABC and waiting patiently for the around the ground and waiting for Lex Marinos at Brookvake Oval. One of the games that springs to mind had Brisbane up 26-6, and every time they crossed back to him we kept getting closer and closer before scoring on the bell for a draw

Plenty more I could add too, and I don't know if it's just coz I was younger, but the game was a lot more enjoyable to follow back then than it is now, maybe part of that now is the 24 hours news cycle, whereas back then it was predominantly about the team running onto the park each weekend

Big Marn

Juniors
Retro Round this weekend, 90s themed

A real golden era, when I came into watching rugby league as well, so many great memories from that time, some that spring to mind personally

91 GF, first one I saw, Royce Simmons with a rare double

Staying up late to watch the highlights around 10pm on TV2 with Hughes and Lowe calling

Making mum get the paper early on a Monday morning so I could look up the results before school

Spud v Chief

Hours spent playing ETs Rugby League on the computer

Mullins amazing 4 try games v the Knights and Broncos with plenty of length of the field efforts

Laurie Nichols in his Singlet at Leichhardt. "Benny Elias says come and try us" "Wayne Pearce he's so fierce" "Garry Jack worlds best back" as he was shadow boxing

Footy Cards, 50c a pack with a stick of gum in there. Would study them for hours, remember being amazed that some old looking bloke called Kenny had 110 tries

State of Origin brawls, and the miracle try from Coyne in 94

The Bears finding new ways to bomb out each year

When radio sport come along in the late 90s, in the days when multiple games were played at the same time, tuning into the main game on the ABC and waiting patiently for the around the ground and waiting for Lex Marinos at Brookvake Oval. One of the games that springs to mind had Brisbane up 26-6, and every time they crossed back to him we kept getting closer and closer before scoring on the bell for a draw

Plenty more I could add too, and I don't know if it's just coz I was younger, but the game was a lot more enjoyable to follow back then than it is now, maybe part of that now is the 24 hours news cycle, whereas back then it was predominantly about the team running onto the park each weekend

Growing up i have vague recollections of watching NRL and when Canterbury-Bankstown was playing i would want them to win as i thought they were from NZ.....:p
The first GF i remember watching vividly was the 1987 GF as Manly had Darrell Williams and he was from NZ so i wanted them to win. I cant recall if Brent Todd played in that game but anyways it never registered that he was a kiwi anyway.

From then on the 89 and 90 Grand Finals still stand out with awesome players in those games.
I was overseas during the superleague years and didnt see much of it but was always immensely proud of the job Kiwis were doing, before, during and after the superleague times.

Players like Halligan and their amazing ability to kick goals from the sideline that the old toe kickers were so unreliable at. Then ex rugby converts making a splash like John Schuster, John Timu, Matthew Ridge and Craig Innes. Plus all the kiwis coming to the fore like Quentin Pongia, John Lomax, Sam Stewart, Jarrod McCracken, the Iro brothers, Richie Barnett, Wiki., Hoppe, Kearney, Freeman with the Roosters etc.

Good times.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
For and Against will decide positions 7th and 8th this year. Every point is so important now.

Blair

Coach
For and Against will decide positions 7th and 8th this year. Every point is so important now.

I'm pretty confident we'll pile on some points this weekend. If anything I want to see some style, some beautiful tries, from all parts of the field. Running rugby league is what I'm looking for.

We need this.

I'm pretty confident we'll pile on some points this weekend. If anything I want to see some style, some beautiful tries, from all parts of the field. Running rugby league is what I'm looking for.

We need this.
Should have done the same vs Panthers!

Big Marn

Juniors
flanaghan and gallen complaining about the no try is a bit rich, considering the luck they have had with refs the last 2 games. They got away with highway robbery against us.
Personally, i had no issue with the bunkers decision. Looked like the foot was under the ball from every different angle.

edit. Would be interested in peoples view on the obstruction call/no call variance that we saw during the game.
In the first half, Townsend got pinged when he looked like he gave himself up after a clear obstruction, but the Broncos didnt get pinged in the second half for the same thing. Was it because the Broncos player surrendered straight away but Townsend advanced the ball slightly before allowing himself to be tackled?
I cant recall if it was the same ref for both decisions

TheDMC

Bench
flanaghan and gallen complaining about the no try is a bit rich, considering the luck they have had with refs the last 2 games. They got away with highway robbery against us.
Personally, i had no issue with the bunkers decision. Looked like the foot was under the ball from every different angle.

Yeah the evidence was clear enough that the ball didn't make contact with the ground. However, I thought that you can't intentionally use your feet like that to stop a try?

Big Marn

Juniors
Yeah the evidence was clear enough that the ball didn't make contact with the ground. However, I thought that you can't intentionally use your feet like that to stop a try?
but was it intentional? My memory is fading on the incident but i think his feet were already there and the sharks player tried to plant the ball down in the struggle but unfortunately found the Broncos players boot. Cant recall the commentators talking about foul play regarding that.

The foot didn't look like an old Billy Slater special lunge or spriggs out slide, which is normally penalised or an 8 point try.

edit. Would be interested in peoples view on the obstruction call/no call variance that we saw during the game.
In the first half, Townsend got pinged when he looked like he gave himself up after a clear obstruction, but the Broncos didnt get pinged in the second half for the same thing. Was it because the Broncos player surrendered straight away but Townsend advanced the ball slightly before allowing himself to be tackled?
I cant recall if it was the same ref for both decisions
Obstruction really should be based on gaining an advantage.
Saying that I didn't see the incidents.

TheDMC

Bench
but was it intentional? My memory is fading on the incident but i think his feet were already there and the sharks player tried to plant the ball down in the struggle but unfortunately found the Broncos players boot. Cant recall the commentators talking about foul play regarding that.

Nah it was definitely intentional, I watched closely on the replay, nearly injured himself by putting his leg there. Commentators didn't say anything and sure it wasn't dangerous or dirty Slater style, but I thought still against the rules. Seen this happen four or five times this season and never pulled up. No biggie.

Meth

Staff member
Didn't see it but sounds like another Perenara special costing a team a game

Bring back Mogsheen Jadwat

Nah, not really. Neither team deserved to win. The last pass for Coopers try was probably forward, but I think the camera angle made it look worse than it was tbh

Latest posts