What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 8 2018 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Almost a third of the way through the season already! Gee, time flies when you're having fun.

The shock of round seven was the demolition of the Sea Eagles by the Eels. As a Warriors fan I'm a bit concerned. Manly/DCE might get that siege mentality down pat, quietly seethe for a while, and then come out firing on 9th June against, well, let's not go there just yet.

How will the Knights go without Pearce?

On a TV show the other night they mentioned the 'desperate' clash between the Cows and Raiders with 'one team knowing, if they lose, their season's probably gone'. It's round 8 for crying out loud!

The Panthers should roll the Bulldogs at home, but I couldn't pick a winner tomorrow night between Souths and Brisbane.

The match of the round has to be this afternoon, in the bright sunshine of the SFS. How good really are the Dragons? And the Roosters for that matter? Both have serious ambitions this year.

I'm backing an Eels resurgence and I hope it's the case. It's an important area of Sydney for rugby league to be strong.

It's Anzac Day...Storm v Warriors is (barring the 'Stupid Six' year) a great way to end it.

Blair

Coach
Wow, it looks like the Roosters have a great home crowd for once.

Hang on, it's a Dragons home game :).

That try to MacDonald was terrible.
Finger on it maybe, but clearly lost control of the ball.
Different if ball on the ground and ypur pinkie finger touches the ball.

Blair

Coach
Melbourne are back as clear premiership favourites. This year it just took them a bit longer than usual. I'm reasonably confident they'll start bolting up the ladder from here on in.

Izz

Bench
Melbourne are back as clear premiership favourites. This year it just took them a bit longer than usual. I'm reasonably confident they'll start bolting up the ladder from here on in.
I hope they destroy the Dragons next week. Then I won't feel so stink about our efforts this week.

I hope they destroy the Dragons next week. Then I won't feel so stink about our efforts this week.

Should be a good game, Bellamy will have a plan and if they can execute it should be a great game.
Both teams have a long break to refresh.
Smith said they won't be back till Monday to training.

Blair

Coach
A shock to hear the underdog Knights toppled Manly at Brookvale tonight.

It's also getting ugly at Penrith, Klemer's not a happy man at the end, it's aggro-town. Gillard v Klemer.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Absolutely terrible game to watch last night, boring as hell as a spectacle due to inept clowns with the whistle and horsehead up in the box, slowest play the balls I have seen for a long time

Yet another season ender for us along with a broken hand taking us down to 19 fit players left for the season, and with a few of them clearly playing injured its gonna be a long year !!

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Have only briefly seen the incident, if the media blow it up something might come of it. Wouldn't have been any intent there at all but might not look the best

Those 2 are extremely good mates from their time together through all grades at Manly, at worst it is a bit of a face rub/mucking round with headgear to his mate that may look like something it's not

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Penrith have a big injury ward too, but they keep rolling

Look a very good side IMO

Blair

Coach
Cartwright blows it for the GC with 25 seconds remaining. He needed to show some discipline and let his side get possession and see what happens. Instead he plays at the ball needlessly and allows the Sharks to play out the game.

10-9 loss. Three field goals, two each in the last two minutes. With the Warriors debacle a distant memory this is good footy.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The old cowboys

Pre season up with the favourites, best forward pack in history according to some pundits, 2 million dollars in the halves, coach just inked a new deal for a million a year, no real injury concerns at all, and are running at the bottom of the comp

What's going on there ? Media are certainly going very soft on them

Blair

Coach
The old cowboys

Pre season up with the favourites, best forward pack in history according to some pundits, 2 million dollars in the halves, coach just inked a new deal for a million a year, no real injury concerns at all, and are running at the bottom of the comp

What's going on there ? Media are certainly going very soft on them

Yes, in contrast to Manly where they're really putting the boot in.

I've had a nostalgic weekend. I'm watching all of my Raiders GFs. What awesome league, and Graeme Hughes is the boss when it comes to commentary.

One thing that has stuck out straight away from this era is the 'little guys'. By today's standards (i.e. a Captain America-looking Cooper Cronk, minus a few lineal inches, I suppose) they really are little. With those big, loose-fitting jerseys they got rag-dolled in nearly every tackle.

Watching Gary Jack run the ball back was fine, until a defender finally nabbed him. How these guys are still walking in retirement I don't know.

Here's another thing from back then. Graphics pop up on screen like this:

Name: Laurie Daley
Age 21

I presumed his employer had no qualms giving him that afternoon off to play the grand final. Luckily mobile phones were in their infancy too. I can see the scene at halftime when Daley checked his messages, 'We need you to run a load up to Yass today, can you come in at four this arvo?'

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I might need to pull out my old Manly GF DVDs the way we are going !! Can't see a win coming in the next 4 games at least

Remember those old days with the occupations and stuff, things were so much more simple back then lol.
Same as when they always had the players introducing themselves before origin and their junior club. They stopped that though because they knew what a joke it was when we had "Ben Te'o, Hibiscus Coast Raiders" lol

Blair

Coach
Down by 2 and Matulino charges at the line on the 5th tackle!

He wanted us to hold on to 3rd didnt he?

Tigers on a three game losing streak? :).

Eels have found the will to win. It's going to be one of the stories of the season, I reckon.