What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL referees lack confidence

Springs09

Juniors
I only see ESL highlights so I can't really comment on them but I do remember the problems we were having with one ref not being able to handle everything as the game evolved. I genuinely thought two refs was the best answer and still think it's better than one but the problem is in the communication and demarcation of authority, as well as a severe lack of leadership of both the regs and the NRL.

The basic problem for refs is that they will be absolutely crucified if they award or deny a try and the decision is later revealed to be wrong by the video, so there is no incentive to reward initiative.

The NRL's silence on the captain's challenge is deafening. I'm not naive enough to think that I can imagine every scenario, but if there are reasons they are balking, put them out there and let's talk about them.

One i have heard is if a captain burns their challenge/s early and a real howler goes against them later. Surely the bunker can be empowered to overrule a genuine howler.

This would return the power to refs to make a decision and put the onus on the captains to have the courage of their convictions to challenge.

Maybe it's not the answer for some reason the NRL are aware of but atm, prima facie it could hardly be worse than what we've got.

Let's at least talk about it.

Well that defeats the whole purpose of the captain's challenge doesn't it? If we say teams get 2 challenges but once they are spent the bunker can still overrule poor decisions anyway, what's the point of it?

We shouldn't have the captain's challenge because we still need video technology to rule on split second put-downs that happen every game in the NRL. There is no way referees can confidently rule on tries like the Gagai no-try in Origin 2 for example. If we do implement the captain's challenge we can guarantee that within a year it will be the worst thing to happen to rugby league ever, the referees will be at an all time low and the game will be in crisis.

The best solution is to use the bunker only for groundings, anything in the field of play is the ref's domain. That means a possible obstruction 10 metres out before a try is ruled the same way a possible obstruction would be ruled on a regular tackle on the halfway line.