What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rule changes: The 22 tweaks that would improve rugby league

Vee

First Grade

This could really Improve the game

refs could stop giving penalties and if repeated infringements occur then use a fine minute bin

nrl games could be reffed like the grand final where the game flows and refs don’t influence the outcome much
They're so cute when they're young.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Punishing teams less for cynical or dirty play is stupid.

The problem has been players last season were getting sin binned and sent off for comically minor offences that didn't warrant it. The length of the punishment is not the issue, just make sure the punishment fits the crime.

Punishing teams less for cynical or dirty play is stupid.

The problem has been players last season were getting sin binned and sent off for comically minor offences that didn't warrant it. The length of the punishment is not the issue, just make sure the punishment fits the crime.

The sin bin was designed to punish repeat offenders or for cynical acts. It was never designed to be used for foul play.

They got rid of having a 5 minute or 10 minute sin bin as the media, amongst others, complained there was too much inconsistency in relation to what for one referee would see someone binned for 5 minutes would see a similar offender under a different referee given the bin for 10 minutes.

Now problem has been, mainly due to media pressure, referees became gun shy to send players off as too many in the media would go on about how it robbed the game of its competitiveness. In fact by the 1990s, this is where the "put them on report" vogue came into the equation. It was the same media pressure about "the team subjected to foul player getting no reward" argument pushed by the media that lead to players being binned in the first place.

On stuff like this, the ARLC need to stop being so reactive to the media, and stand by their officials. Yes mistakes happen, but until we all stop this endless b/s about "referee x cost us the game" mentality that prevails in rugby league, this will just go around in circles in my opinion without any real change happening.

I mean in the late 1970s-early 1980s rugby league saw a lot of foul play on the field. High tackles, biting, punching, kicking, elbows to the head. They only got rid of it by referees sending players off and the judiciary coming down hard on them if found guilty when handing out sentences. With the kid glove treatment handed out today in comparison, its no wonder things have remained the same.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The sin bin was designed to punish repeat offenders or for cynical acts. It was never designed to be used for foul play.

They got rid of having a 5 minute or 10 minute sin bin as the media, amongst others, complained there was too much inconsistency in relation to what for one referee would see someone binned for 5 minutes would see a similar offender given the bin for 10 minutes.

Now problem has been, mainly due to media pressure, referees became gun shy to send players off as too many in the media would go on about how it robbed the game of its competitiveness. In fact by the 1990s, this is where the "put them on report" vogue came into the equation. It was the same media pressure about "the team subjected to foul player getting no reward" argument pushed by the media that lead to players being binned in the first place.

On stuff like this, the ARLC need to stop being so reactive to the media, and stand by their officials. Yes mistakes happen, but until we all stop this endless b/s about "referee x cost us the game" mentality that prevails in rugby league, this will just go around in circles in my opinion without any real change happening.

I mean in the late 1970s-early 1980s rugby league saw a lot of foul play on the field. High tackles, biting, punching, kicking, elbows to the head. They only got rid of it by referees sending players off and the judiciary coming down hard on them if found guilty when handing out sentences. With the kid glove treatment handed out today in comparison, its no wonder things have remained the same.
You’re right

but go on any game day thread when the underdog gets a dud call

T-Boon

Coach
I think they should keep a 10 minute "sin bin". But the bin is inside the players defensive 10m "red zone". They aren't allowed out of there. But can participate from within there.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Get rid of the strip rule.

I do not approve of theft.

I was glad when they stopped Benny Elias raking the ball back in the play the ball.

Earn your possession, theft spoils it.

Get rid of the strip rule.

I do not approve of theft.

I was glad when they stopped Benny Elias raking the ball back in the play the ball.

Earn your possession, theft spoils it.

Sorry but stopping a defender from striking at the ball in the ruck removed some of the uncertainty from rugby league and lead to the "roll the ball through the legs" crap that many players have taken to. They don't secure the ball properly at all. Elias wasn't the only one who did it. In fact I'd say Ian Roberts was a far better exponent of doing it than Elias ever was. It meant the game was more unpredictable.

siv

First Grade
My #1 would be for the tackled player to raise the ball 1m above the ground before placing the ball on the ground and playing the ball

Stop using the ball to get up and then walking over it

Latest posts