What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL strategic plan 2018-2022 as it relates to expansion

Springs09

Juniors
It will if Manly and Sydney merge too be Eastern Suburbs

Personally i love having multiple sydney teams, but some are geographically stunted in regards to junior development, roosters are a Club that has money but needs juniors, manly have them but need money and a better ground, besides they failed on being a merged entity, and roosters never got pushed too, this time its their turn

PNG should be entered, Norths on the Central Coast, Perth Reds again, and move the Sharks to Adelaide,
Add in Redcliffe Dolphins, and West Qld jets this would truely make a national game
And I agree with the country venues being a sydney teams responsibility, they all could follow penriths lead but play 2 home games in regional areas

The Roosters are already Eastern Suburbs and that's the least of the reasons why that will not happen. Their full name is Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club.

And do you mean West Brisbane? Because West Qld makes no sense, where would that be? Mt Isa?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I interpreted a NSW Country team, especially when looking at eventual inclusion in the NRL as Gosford - does anyone else get that?

Sure, they might include other country areas in the NSWRL but I'm thinking they are refering to CC specifically when we are talking NRL.

MugaB

Coach
The Roosters are already Eastern Suburbs and that's the least of the reasons why that will not happen. Their full name is Eastern Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club.

And do you mean West Brisbane? Because West Qld makes no sense, where would that be? Mt Isa?

Well there already is north qld,
there was south queensland,
West brisbane is the locale for the new team, but the distance is between ipswich and toowoomba
Mt isa is closer to north qld than just west qld
Trouble is majority of teams are coastal
So there is a lot of "west" to be used

The Manly/Sydney merger would cover the whole east coast of sydney
Hence calling the team
"eastern suburbs" Expanding that term
Than the original bondi area
Souths would never merge with roosters
Sharks would be better interstate in a one city town like adelaide
And central coast is northern Sydney that stretches to newcastles borders
Junior catchments and greater area for each club is needed
Having souths, sydney and cronulla aswell as canterbury and stgeorge all near each other bottle necks the talent
And supporters in Sydney
Plus you will get NORTHS SOUTHS EASTS & WESTS of sydney

I think too many people confusingly combine the word "Strategic" with "Geographic" and the amalgam becomes a dots on map theory.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Country Rugby League chief executive Terry Quinn is all too aware the NRL has been planning for expansion but he remains wary of a bush-based side competing in a new-look State Cup.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman, Peter Beattie, and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg spoke on March 27 after the launch of the game’s Strategic Plan for 2018-22.

Part of the plan is expansion with Country New South Wales named as a potential base for a side which would be competed in a NSW State Cup.

The plan states the NRL has put expansion back on the table, with the new State Cup competitions providing a pathway for clubs seeking to be part of the NRL in the long-term. It will be open for teams from areas such as Perth, Country New South Wales, New Zealand and Ipswich.

Quinn, who has spent some time off work recently and wasn’t aware of the strategic plan announcement that Tuesday morning, confessed he would need more time to go over the release.

But he was adamant a club can’t just be thrown at a city or town within the Country Rugby League without proper planning.

“I can’t see the country having an NRL team. That’s a bit too ambitious,” he said.

“I think you’ll see a club linked with an NRL club. Like Western is with Penrith now.

“We don’t want a standalone team in the bush. We want to feed into an NRL club and I feel we can do that better through the under 16s, 18s and 20s.”

The Western Rams are currently aligned with the Penrith Panthers and a number of Panthers Regional Academy Program were held out west during the off-season while a host of the region’s most promising juniors are already playing lower grades with the NRL club.

The Penrith Panthers also had a side contest this season’s under 16s Andrew Johns Cup and the under 18s Laurie Daley Cup, the two junior country championships.

Those pathways are the main focus for Quinn and the Country Rugby League at this time and he said more funding is needed to to achieve success there.

Quinn has “spoken at length” with New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) officials in recent times in relation to expansion

“We want to grow into it,” he said of a regionally-based side.

“We want a pathway for kids to want to be a part of.

“We want to see them play for a side and then go into the NRL and if they can’t make it then they can still play for that State Cup side.”

Having juniors wanting to play rugby league is something Greenberg is determined to have as well.

"We will work hard to encourage more young people – boys and girls – to take up rugby league and remain in the game,” he said.

Quinn was also adamant any formation of a country-based side can not impact on regional competitions.

“We’re not opposed to it, as long as it is constructive and doesn’t destroy local footy,” he said.

“We want to help create pathways and develop juniors.”

https://www.parkeschampionpost.com....expansion-but-wants-focus-on-junior-pathways/

taipan

Referee
Pathways,grassroots,female participation, expansion at 2nd tier, helping the bush,spelling out areas that should be worked on, new stadium either being constructed or agreed upon.

I'd suggest a fairly basic and needed plan to grow the game.
But we must have brochures out now, to prove the point.
Remember all the printed guff that was out ,when Woolworths decided to start up Masters Hardware.
And where is Masters (not Roy BTW) now?

Perth Red

Post Whore
An online version for the plebeians to actually see what the media conference was about wouldn't have been a stretch for a $450milion business that wants to engage its stakeholders surely? Why bother having a presser if the plan isn't actually ready?

Did you watch the video? What a fluff piece, no measurable outcomes at all mentioned. We'll have more kids playing, we'll have better stadiums (well done on putting something in a future plan that is already decided lol), we'll have more women involved, we'll have opportunity for expansion (WTF does that mean?). Show us the plan, show us the measurable and maybe have some comment on how it will be achieved when the last one failed so badly to be met.

taipan

Referee
An online version for the plebeians to actually see what the media conference was about wouldn't have been a stretch for a $450milion business that wants to engage its stakeholders surely? Why bother having a presser if the plan isn't actually ready?

Did you watch the video? What a fluff piece, no measurable outcomes at all mentioned. We'll have more kids playing, we'll have better stadiums (well done on putting something in a future plan that is already decided lol), we'll have more women involved, we'll have opportunity for expansion (WTF does that mean?). Show us the plan, show us the measurable and maybe have some comment on how it will be achieved when the last one failed so badly to be met.

Um check the NRL site,the basic outline is there.It's pretty obvious the way they want to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expansion

New teams wanting to join the Telstra Premiership will need to prove their viability by playing in one of the state-based second-tier competitions. That includes Perth.

"Everyone thinks that expansion is all about the NRL comp, the reality is we need to consider what expansion looks like at the second-tier level before we even look at the NRL," Greenberg said.

"We now have both states [NSW and Queensland] running competitions where they have Intrust Super teams, under 20s teams, under 18s and under 16s teams. That’s really where expansion is in the short-to-medium term.

"I think Perth has the opportunity to consider how they have a pathway that fits into one of those state leagues. That is the discussion we will have to have with Perth, and Victoria more broadly, to continue to grow the footprint.

"Perth's participation base is growing every year so our challenge is to make sure that there is also an elite pathway and that is an investment we need to make in time."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/27...ts-at-an-all-time-low-nrl-ceo-todd-greenberg/

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Interesting - all of the talk about second teir expansion before NRL inclusion makes you think that there may be something in the Redcliffe whispers. They are certainly aggressively expanding their stadium well beyond the needs of the QLD Cup. Maybe they know something that we don't.

Springs09

Juniors
I don't know how a club can prove their viability at NRL level by playing reserve grade. What 'viability' is being judged? Crowds? Results? I can understand when it comes to PNG and Fiji - giving players a pathway to the NRL and the country a high-level team, but Perth is more like Melbourne. Either:
- They use locals and get smashed every week like the SG Ball side does
- They recruit reserve grade players to be competitive like an NRL side would with first graders, but what NRL hopeful will go to Perth to play when there are 25 other sides in NSW and QLD?
- They become affiliated with an NRL side, most likely Melbourne. Then they become just a reserve grade team unlike PNG Hunters.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Ridiculous to act like Perth needs to prove there viability in NSW/QLD Cup.

A team in Perth shouldn’t have to play in a state competition, there is still this NSW and QLD mindset. Perth helps make the NRL a national competition yet they are being told they have to spend there time in a reserve grade state comp. It’s crazy to me.

Although it would be great for Perth to have a large number of local juniors, Melbourne have been a great success and there are very few players from Victoria

Perth Red

Post Whore
The strat plan still isn't available to actually read what their goals are 5 weeks after the press conference to announce it! Talk about amateur hour!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
I mean it all depends on what they mean by "prove their viability" and " second-tier".

If done properly this could be a very positive thing, for example if they were to restructure the "second-tier" into a national second division and were able to get similar national coverage of this second division to what the NRL currently enjoys, instead of the hotchpotch of state leagues that we currently have as a "second-tier", and there was a clearly defined way for clubs to "prove their viability" and apply for promotion from this second tier to the NRL, then that would be a very positive thing.

However if what the NRL means is that they want teams looking for entry to the NRL to waste millions playing in the state leagues with no defined criteria for entry to the NRL and no promise of entry into the NRL at all, and with no way of even attempting to recoup their investment, cause they (the NRL) don't want to make a decision on expansion cause they are scared of pissing off the NRL clubs that don't want to share the profits that the NRL makes with more people cause they believe that they 'own' the game, then no that's a bloody stupid idea.

I guess since we haven't really been given any actual details on what the NRLs' actual plans are for the "second-tier" in the long, and they haven't really elaborated on what they actually mean by "prove their viability" that we'll just have to wait and see.

TheFrog

Coach
The Manly/Sydney merger would cover the whole east coast of sydney
Hence calling the team
"eastern suburbs" Expanding that term
The eastern suburbs are and have always been a specific area, which does not include north of the bridge. The idea of the merge might (or might not) have merit, but calling it Eastern Suburbs will be basically squeezing Manly out, and they and their fans won't have a bar of it.

flippikat

Bench
Ridiculous to act like Perth needs to prove there viability in NSW/QLD Cup.

A team in Perth shouldn’t have to play in a state competition, there is still this NSW and QLD mindset. Perth helps make the NRL a national competition yet they are being told they have to spend there time in a reserve grade state comp. It’s crazy to me.

Although it would be great for Perth to have a large number of local juniors, Melbourne have been a great success and there are very few players from Victoria

I think Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team are no-brainer choices, have done for a long time. the talent is there for a 2nd Brisbane team, and given that WA have been the strongest affiliated state for some time, there's a good chance they'll generate juniors that graduate to first grade pretty soon after the NRL debuts.

Perth is a case where you need a top-tier team to focus that player output into - or else you're capping the game's growth there, and the handful of top juniors will forever be headhunted by NSW/Qld clubs.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
Where would you base a country NSW team? Tamworth? I want us to support country rugby league but I think we're better off taking regular games there than putting a team in country NSW.

Fiji is a pipe dream. Let's just get them in the NSW Cup before we get too excited.

I'm glad that expansion is finally being talked up but I hope at some point we get specific. If we're planning to expand in 2022 or 2023 we need to give teams a couple of years to prepare. Really by 2019 or 2020 we should be announcing which teams are coming.

I'm hoping for Brisbane and Perth (NZ then Adelaide are my next preferences). but it's just good to have expansion on the table again.

I'd root for a Tamworth team. I wanna move to Nashville and start a team in the USARL.