What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL TO TRIAL REF INTERCHANGE

Kasper

Bench
Just read this at nrl.com, what is everyones opinion on it.

The NRL will trial interchange of referees during Round 25 of the Telstra Premiership.

Interchange referees were first trialed last season and with the outcomes of the following round 25 matches not capable of affecting semi-final positions, the clubs involved have agreed to participate in the trials:

Rabbitohs v Sharks, Aussie Stadium, 30 August, 7.30pm
Wests Tigers v Cowboys, Campbelltown Stadium, 31 August, 3.00pm

NRL Referees Coach Robert Finch says the experiment will provide the added bonus of introducing new referees to the game as well as reducing the fatigue factor on referees.

“These trials give us an effective way of introducing new referees into the pressure cooker environment of NRL competition, without the need to put them on the field for a full 80 minutes as their first experience,” Mr Finch said.

“We also need to try and combat the effects of mental fatigue during a game.

“Physically the referees have never been fitter, but the psychological impact of the game over 80 minutes may at times make it difficult for the referee to perform to his optimum.

“This may be one way of addressing those pressures.

“Obviously the issue of consistency of interpretation from one referee to another is a major concern for us, but this system may in fact have the added bonus of forcing referees to be more aware of the need for a consistent approach to the way matches are controlled.”

The NRL has previously experimented with several models of using two referees at the same time.

To date, those models have not proved satisfactory and the NRL is not proposing to further the concept of using two referees on the field at one time.

It is currently felt that the interchange system offers the most scope for significant improvement.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I think it's a stupid idea. Having two different referees on the field at different times mean that each officials' interpretation of the way the game has unfolded will be different. What is to say that one ref will police a wide 10 metres, but when he's replaced by the other ref a skinnier 10 will be enforced along with slower play-the-balls??

If anything, why doesn't Finch & the NRL get the new or inexperienced referee to officiate alongside a more expereinced ref. Two refs working alongside each other where both have watched the game from the start works in basketball & I think they even have three refs in AFL. Two refs together would also lessen the chances of veteran players taking advantage of, and putting pressure on the rookie ref when he's on his own.

I think that would be the better option...

Cheers,
Ben S.

JoeD

First Grade
Two refs on the field at the same time is the way to go. One to police the off side, one to police the play the ball. It seems so simple to me.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I think that it still should be one ref.. no interchange, it's silly and shouldn't be done.... if the refs get to tired then maybe they shouldn't be doing it.

Ultima

Juniors
Short memorys I guess... They did this last year.... I didn't think it did much but I'll quote a player from the day:

"What did you think of playing a game under the interchanged ref system"

"Oh, it wasn't too bad, as soon as you get sick of one of them you get another..."

Aries

Bench
Cant work

Two different interpretations of the game, and not even over 2 different halves, but inter changed mid game?!! Crazy stuff and the Sharks are one of the teams ear marked for it...

We have enough problems trying to understand the refs as it is!! :lol:

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I think eventually there needs to be 2 referees on the field at the same time, however this would be difficult to do. Maybe one referee can patrol the 10 metres only, and the other ref can administer the ruck area.

skeepe

Immortal
supersoniceagle said:
I think eventually there needs to be 2 referees on the field at the same time, however this would be difficult to do. Maybe one referee can patrol the 10 metres only, and the other ref can administer the ruck area.

I thought this was done in the past with disastrous results? I think that, no matter the problems of the current system it is still the best. Besides, the touch judges SHOULD be helping police the 10 metres but they don't seem to be doing much these days.

chub

Juniors
I personally think its a good way of getting younger and less experienced refs into the game. Look at the quality of refs atm.... we desperately do need more good refs, and I know that if the raiders were out of finals contention then I would be ok with taking a hit for the good of the game.

Ultima

Juniors
Younger refs are touchies.. The problem is that also makes them too gutless to call stuff 90% of the time...