What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Touch Football Premiership

T-Boon

Coach
Touch footy is kinda boring at high levels ... its like melbourne storm tactics without grapples

you don't really see line break but you see intercepts, interesting play from dummy half/play the baller and some cool skills from the wingers. Also I like how they change the tempo up at times they'll stand still and go backwards to draw the defense out. Change of tempo is great and totally non existent in NRL for some dopey reason.

T-Boon

Coach
Are they expecting that this will grow their brand or are they diversifying?

Grow brand.
For example, Touch footy is surprisingly popular in Victoria. Combine that with recent research that show if you play a sport you are 6 times more likely to watch that sport on TV or go to games...suddenly NRL is thinking get people thinking that by playing TF they are playing a version of NRL. They will likely watch it.

Noise

Coach
Are they expecting that this will grow their brand or are they diversifying?

Touch footy and the NRL are already linked together in a partnership- check both their logos as an indicator.

I think this is a way of growing touch footy and in a way kind of linking the 2 sports . The fact they are doing a mixed comp shows they are trying to increase female participation (which is already huge in touch footy).

I'm not 100% sure but I have a hunch that the partnership allows both codes to bump their participation rates which means more $$ from the government

Also I like how they change the tempo up at times they'll stand still and go backwards to draw the defense out. Change of tempo is great and totally non existent in NRL for some dopey reason.

Yup. Have you ever played full contact rugby league, and if so, what were your experiences when getting tackled whilst running in the same direction as the defense?

The whole concept of speed at the ruck is entirely different in touch v full contact RL, Both good games, but there are some pretty obvious reasons why tactics differ.

Touch footy and the NRL are already linked together in a partnership- check both their logos as an indicator.

I think this is a way of growing touch footy and in a way kind of linking the 2 sports . The fact they are doing a mixed comp shows they are trying to increase female participation (which is already huge in touch footy).

I'm not 100% sure but I have a hunch that the partnership allows both codes to bump their participation rates which means more $$ from the government

It certainly can't hurt, but it worthwhile remembering that 'touch' is not necessarily viewed as a form of rugby league any more than it is a form of rugby union (even though the flow of play is much more similar to league). The innate support in Melbourne is very much more for Union, largely from the leather elbow patch brigade (where Union is played at big private schools).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Grow brand.
For example, Touch footy is surprisingly popular in Victoria. Combine that with recent research that show if you play a sport you are 6 times more likely to watch that sport on TV or go to games...suddenly NRL is thinking get people thinking that by playing TF they are playing a version of NRL. They will likely watch it.
Fingers crossed as they are two very different games.

Both as a spectator and a participant.

T-Boon

Coach
Is this traditional touch or RL Touch with kicks etc?

Hopefully RL can chip away at Touch Footy over a few years and bring back some kicking, at least chip kicks. The rule could be: you can kick but if the ball hits the ground it is a turn over.

T-Boon

Coach
It certainly can't hurt, but it worthwhile remembering that 'touch' is not necessarily viewed as a form of rugby league any more than it is a form of rugby union
Union has been trying this on for a few years now. Calling it Touch Rugby and such. It is crap.
There is a reason Australia violates NZ and England at TF and that is because it is Rugby League based not union based.