What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Touch

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I don’t have a problem with the Nrltouch inaugural season being played before the nrl games.

First of all it’s 6 (2x3 m/f) games a week. Hardly a big deal. Once the competition expands the season and structure will change.

Promotes non-contact rugby league to the tv/online masses. And allows future seasons to piggy back off the numbers to potentially promote a offseason competition to rival 20/20.

Touchrl could be the new Aus kick version in non-rl states and boost participation numbers and viewers across the country and even overseas.

David brown

Juniors
Yeah Oztag is the way to go, Pretty much the same rules as Rugby league... League tag Im pretty sure is just touch with tags ?

Teddyboy

First Grade
The NRL should have purchased Oztag instead of Touch. It is much closer to the real thing than touch is nowadays.
Merge all Touch, Tag and OZTag and fiddle with the rules as Touch is more like Netball played by skinny whippets and it should be a game for all shapes and sizes but don't have numerous versions of non contact Rugby League or even Union as thats just messes up the numbers participation.

hutch

First Grade
I don’t have a problem with the Nrltouch inaugural season being played before the nrl games.

First of all it’s 6 (2x3 m/f) games a week. Hardly a big deal. Once the competition expands the season and structure will change.

Promotes non-contact rugby league to the tv/online masses. And allows future seasons to piggy back off the numbers to potentially promote a offseason competition to rival 20/20.

Touchrl could be the new Aus kick version in non-rl states and boost participation numbers and viewers across the country and even overseas.

This!

It’s an 8 week Comp which adds another tier to the nrl. There will be many forms of rugby league played before the nrl this year, touch, WNRL and the two state leagues.
Touch is a form non contact rugby league, it was formed as a code by rugby league (south sydney) back in the 1960’s and should be welcomed back to the rugby league family. Union has basically claimed touch in a lot of countries overseas which is another lack of foresight by our code and is disgraceful. This opens the sport up to government funding and potentially many new fans. Good decision by the nrl.

T-Boon

Coach

Yes agreed. Additionally it is very popular with women and children and smart organisations (i.e. not the NRL clubs) would find a way of taking advantage of that for stadium and government grants or corporate whatevers.

T-Boon

Coach
Merge all Touch, Tag and OZTag and fiddle with the rules as Touch is more like Netball played by skinny whippets and it should be a game for all shapes and sizes but don't have numerous versions of non contact Rugby League or even Union as thats just messes up the numbers participation.

In my opinion tag is stupid. The idea that you need to rip a tag off a player is poor. Touch is more sensible.

ReddFelon

Juniors
In my opinion tag is stupid. The idea that you need to rip a tag off a player is poor. Touch is more sensible.
OzTag gets rid of a lot of the problems in local touch comps; no phantom "touch touch I said touch" when there's a metre gap between the players, penalties against heroes who run direct into contact with the intention to hit other players (this shit is particularly out of hand with mixed touch when you get massive dudes putting hits on girls), allowed to kick on the first, fourth and last.

Much better suited as a non contact RL setup.

cooko

Juniors
Might as well merge league and union too while we’re at it too.

Rugby League is rugby league, leave league tag, touch footy to their own, I'd much rather watch the Intrust Super Cup or the U20's than this rubbish.

Reactions: siv
The one thing I take solace in with the fall of the Holden cup is that manly are forever the reigning, defending, undisputed champions of the cup

Teddyboy

First Grade
Ju
Tag is stupid but Touch needs to be 2 handed not just one hand as the one hand rules is designed for fast, skinny whippets types plus a lot of players treat the game way too serious.