What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup restructure

Quidgybo

Bench
As long as the NZRL put their hands in their pockets I'm fine with it.
If the NZRL got to keep the majority of the big "Rugby League" money earnt from their territory (i.e. The $150m for NRL television rights in NZ) then fine, let them pay. But they don't, the NRL/ARLC siphon that money back into the central kitty in Australia. It's only right that the NRL should give some of that back to support the game's pathways in NZ. Paying for two or three NZ teams to participate in all grades of the Platinum League should be just one part of that pay back.

Leigh.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Not quite. The Cutters name is because the inaugural sponsor was given naming rights to the NSW Cup team, and they also sponsor the Illawarra CRL rep teams. The team is sponsored by Illawarra Coal, and as such they don't want to be giving free advertising to the steel industry in the area.

The Cutters are backed by Illawarra Leagues (hence the sponsorship of the CRL rep teams) as well as Steelers Leagues and STGI.

Ah. A mate of mine is a die-hard Steeler and was convinced it was a St George mandate. It's just good to see the name in the comp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As long as the NZRL put their hands in their pockets I'm fine with it.

NZRL have next to no revenue and the ARLC is f*cking rolling in cash...

Id personally rather the NZRL became a subsidiary to the ARLC and was provided with grant money for development in NZ. Its the best situation NZRL could hope for and in ure the ARLC would happily fund them in the same way they do development in the Pacific.

If the NZRL got to keep the majority of the big "Rugby League" money earnt from their territory (i.e. The $150m for NRL television rights in NZ) then fine, let them pay. But they don't, the NRL/ARLC siphon that money back into the central kitty in Australia. It's only right that the NRL should give some of that back to support the game's pathways in NZ. Paying for two or three NZ teams to participate in all grades of the Platinum League should be just one part of that pay back.

Leigh.

The was a discussion in another thread about whether the ARLC had a duty to fund development across the globe...

One of the main concerns of this would be the fear that no benefit would come back to the ARLC and if these locations did develop, they could start poaching the NRLs best players. However unlike funding development in some random place on the other side of the world, the ARLC gains directly from interest in RL in NZ. They get the TV money and any new team will be NRL based.

The only reason i dont see this partnership happening full would be due to some weird, archaic notion of sovereignty, "it would ruin the tribal rivalries, blah blah". i hope it doesnt come to that though...

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Id personally rather the NZRL became a subsidiary to the ARLC and was provided with grant money for development in NZ. Its the best situation NZRL could hope for and in ure the ARLC would happily fund them in the same way they do development in the Pacific.

<snip>

The only reason i dont see this partnership happening full would be due to some weird, archaic notion of sovereignty, "it would ruin the tribal rivalries, blah blah". i hope it doesnt come to that though...
Well folks tend to get their patriotic balls caught up in the argument while losing sight of what might actually be good for the bigger picture of Rugby League as a game. A strong and internationally competitive New Zealand, properly funded both from the money being generated directly from that country and even from the game's general revenue, is much better for the game than a struggling New Zealand that gets whipped by the Kangaroos year after year. Participating in the more intense and higher quality elite and second tier competitions the larger Australian market can stage is just another part of meeting that goal.

Call it a game of symantics but it doesn't require the NZRL to become a subsidiary of the ARLC with an annual grant. All it requires is a recognition of the reality that the elite and second tiers of the game in NZ have effectively been outsourced / delegated / licensed to the ARLC. Rather than a grant from a parent body, the NZRL should get an annual license fee paid to them by the ARLC for the right to exploit their territory at the elite and second tiers. Sure the money would be identical as if it were a grant to a state but it would make explicit the different relationship that exists between the two bodies.

Leigh.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Instead of creating a new platinum league above the NSW cup I have been thinking they should do the opposite and create a NSW second division below the state cup. This would basically supersede the Ron Massey cup as the third open age tier in the state and become the third grade for NSW/ACT. It would provide an open age development platform to hopefully keep NYC graduates in the game and on NRL pathways longer as well as improve pathways in key bush regions which will form the spine of the league. The league would be centrally funded via grants from the ARLC/NSWRL

I would keep the NSW cup as it is now except demand that Canberra participate instead of mounties and the wyong club be replaced by a central coast branded team so the 4 main provincial sides are all represented
-Warriors, Newcastle, Illawarra, Canberra, Central coast, Wenty, Penrith, Canterbury, Wests, Newtown, Manly, Norths

IMO the 2nd division or whatever it be called would be an 11 team league so that each NSW/ACT NRL club has an affiliate. It could look like the below and would use major regional cities as the core of the competition
-Wagga (Raiders)
-Dubbo (Bulldogs)
-Bathurst (panthers)
-Shellharbour (Dragons)
-Coffs Harbour (Knights)
-Tamworth (Manly)
-Wyong (Roosters)
-Wests Macarthur (Wests tigers)
-Wentworthville (Eels)
-North Syndey (souths)
-Newtown (Sharks)

The metro sides are up for debate, its probably a fair argument that the biggest juniors districts provide the most players to the pathways and should therefore have representation at this level. That would mean Penrith, Parra, Wests Tigers and Souths/Cronulla having their 3rd grade sides city based. Above I tried to keep consistency with the current pathways for Souths and the sharks but one of those clubs would likely need to be swapped for a Panthers linked metro side instead with the loser then linked to a regional team (Bathurst in this case)

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I like your idea of a second division

But why not just let the NRL aligned clubs all.play in NRL.club colours

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I like your idea of a second division

But why not just let the NRL aligned clubs all.play in NRL.club colours

I would guess its about dragging power away from clubs and isolating them as the top level "public face" of the game only....

No doubt JGrant will shit his pants and give away everything not bolted down.

siv

First Grade
Seems to have gone quiet on this subject in league HQ

But a good move in the NSW Country as U16s and U18s are moving into a 6 weekend competition

Which is a step in the right direction for Matts and SG Ball merger

Latest posts