What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup side?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
After Saturdays performance, they'll need all the support they can get.

Belted by Wentworthville to the tune of 72-12.

Coming up against the reigning premiers and one of the top ranking sides in the Bulldogs this weekend.

I certainly hope they've got some big names coming back, or it could be real ugly.

MsStorm

Bench
After Saturdays performance, they'll need all the support they can get.

Belted by Wentworthville to the tune of 72-12.

Coming up against the reigning premiers and one of the top ranking sides in the Bulldogs this weekend.

I certainly hope they've got some big names coming back, or it could be real ugly.

It was a shallacking but a bit understanding due to changes to the squad.

The scheduling is going to mean the game clashes with First grade and NYC at AAMI Park and their final game deserves a good crowd. Should have been scheduled for Saturday.

Still they have had a reasonable season considering they were bottom of the pile and deserve some accolades.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost a repeat of last weeks scoreline today.

Storm lost 66-12 to the Bulldogs. Widdop was the only player who really stood out.

Hopefully O'Neill, Neilsen, Norrie, MacDougall and Cahill can all return for the finals, because the Storm are really down on form and look completely unable to pose a threat in attack.

Their defence is even worse, unable to wrap the ball up or to ground players, means the play is kept alive for too long.

MsStorm

Bench
Almost a repeat of last weeks scoreline today.

Storm lost 66-12 to the Bulldogs. Widdop was the only player who really stood out.

Hopefully O'Neill, Neilsen, Norrie, MacDougall and Cahill can all return for the finals, because the Storm are really down on form and look completely unable to pose a threat in attack.

Their defence is even worse, unable to wrap the ball up or to ground players, means the play is kept alive for too long.

Another whopping! And disappointing after a good mid-season run.
The poor guys must have been sooking with no crowd support there with everyone attending the main game at AAMI Park;-)

Lets hope they can lift their act during the finals but its not looking very good at the moment.

Do you know what's happening with the NSW Cup squad for next year?
I just keep hearing rumours they are moving to NSW as a cost cutting measure.

I am going to miss them, if that's the case.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't heard anything as yet, but apparently Greg Brentnall will be doing an interview for Rugby League News or Rugby League Review magazine this week.

I was a bit surprised to hear that Billy Rogers hasn't been signed by the Storm for next season.

Personally, I don't think they'll be relocated.

Noa

First Grade
I was very suprised about Rogers too. The only reason I can think of is Craig doesnt feel his game will suit the a new style of play he may introduce in the offseason. But personally id have kept him in the squad over players like Rochow or Hawkins.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rogers and Cahill have become very good and versatile players in NSW Cup this year. They should have been some of the first players retained.

If the Storm NSW Cup team folds, these guys will probably end up in the Newcastle talent pool, disappointing given the amount of work the Storm have put into them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 1 of the finals, Melbourne play second placed Balmain-Ryde Eastwood.

Balmain beat Melbourne at Leichhardt early in the year and Melbourne beat Balmain at Olympic in the return match.

Melbourne's side this weekend:

1 Gareth Widdop
2 Maelie Seve
3 Willie Isa
4 Hep Cahill
5 Dane Chisholm
6 Rory Kostjasyn
7 Luke Kelly
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 James Woolford
10 Sione Kite
11 Rob Rochow
12 Atela Vea
13 Billy Rogers
14 Bennett Leslie
15 Dale Langford
16 Mananui Te Hue Hue
17 Sinbad Kali
19 Fred Makimare
20 Jy Hitchcox
24 Polu Vaituutuu

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see this side run out though:
20 Jy Hitchcox
2 Maelie Seve
3 Willie Isa
4 Hep Cahill
5 Dane Chisholm
1 Gareth Widdop
7 Luke Kelly
8 Jesse Bromwich
6 Rory Kostjasyn
10 Sione Kite
11 Rob Rochow
12 Atela Vea
13 Billy Rogers

9 James Woolford
15 Dale Langford
16 Mananui Te Hue Hue
17 Sinbad Kali
19 Fred Makimare

Either Mananui or Fred to also be dropped off the bench.

Can't believe that Neilsen, Norrie, MacDougall and O'Neill haven't been granted a spot in the side. I'm pretty sure they've all played the minimum amount of games to qualify.

Personally, I'm not entirely confident that this team can win

Noa

First Grade
The team definately wont be based out of Melbourne next year. Linking up with a QRL team again is looking the most likely option.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the Storm finals run has ended at week one after going down 48-14 to Balmain.

And Noa, it's a shame the team won't be based in Melbourne, I think it had some great prospects down here.

LESStar58

Referee
This just makes me angrier about our whole situation that I already am. You'd think we'd keep the PL team Melbourne based so the lads in the VRL can get a run. It's a f**king shame! This whole year really has set the game back to the stone age in Victoria!

Noa

First Grade
To be fair I dont think the club could afford to do it in the first place. My feeling is it was a front for something else.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Dissapointing that Melbourne is not keeping up a NSW Cup team in Vic. Does News Ltd really want to promote rugby league in Vic.

If the rumors are true about the Wests Tigers having one NSW Cup team next year then maybe the Storm could have its reserve grade players play for either Wests or Balmain. But I don't think the Wests Tigers will agree.

Another possibility - a NSW Country team close to the border Albury/Wodonga.

Noa

First Grade
There is talk they will be joining up with the Tigers, but of the QRL variety. Also I think NEWS and the Storm do more then there fair share its the other mob via the VRL who are amatuers and have been for years.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Wests Tigers NSW Cup side will be Balmain, Wests Magpies will still exist.

Melbourne NSW Cup side will not be playing next year due to finances.

Storm will be using Easts Tigers in Brisbane Comp as their feeder club.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the Storm NSW Cup side has agreed to a merger with the Cronulla NSW Cup team

Looks to me like an attempt by the Storm to try and hang onto their NSW Cup players who they didn't sign up to the NRL Squad.

The risk they run is that the sharks need decent players and will have some cash around and they could sign these guys up.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
you went to their games and never came to say hi to me.

*heartbroken*

MsStorm

Bench
Looks like the Storm NSW Cup side has agreed to a merger with the Cronulla NSW Cup team

Looks to me like an attempt by the Storm to try and hang onto their NSW Cup players who they didn't sign up to the NRL Squad.

The risk they run is that the sharks need decent players and will have some cash around and they could sign these guys up.

I was really hoping the team would stay in Melbourne, but cost cutting saw the end of them unfortunately. Yes I can see the Sharks gobbling up any talented players.

Have you got any idea of what the team will be called.

Latest posts