What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW going forward

MilkShark

First Grade
So basically the only back rower that didn't miss important tackles that led to tries was your favourite whipping boy Josh Jackson? What was it some clown said after game 1? "Graham can do what Jackson does defensively" lol Josh McGuire does not agree.

The laziness from Guys like Woods, Fifita and Hayne throughout the series is far more concerning than an injured player missing tackles. Cordner has an excuse, why did Fifita just stand there and watch that Wallace try unfold? Did he pull a heartstring? And woods the flop, does the guy have an ounce of aggression or agro in him at all? He takes a lot of hit ups and falls on his fat front fairly often, there is nothing else good I can say about him, he must be the softest tackling blues and kangaroos prop in the history of both those sides.

We can argue all day about who was the worst for us in game 3, imo no one showed up. In the first ten minutes Cooper Cronk must of kicked the ball 4 times with out a blues player getting close to him and Smith was running from dummy half at will with no one pressuring him. They came out flat as a tack, the performance was a huge failure from everyone involved.
TL;DR

Nightward

Juniors
I know the exact moment you are talking about.

But Cordner let in 1 try, nearly 2. and knocked on 2 or 3 times. This is our goddam captain of all people.

Even if we accept this reading of events, Fifita still stands there instead of making any effort to go after Wallace. Show me one try this series NSW scored against Queensland where two lead front-rowers just threw their hands up and let it happen; absolute worst-case scenario is that they tried to do something and failed. This, as Gus and Johns alluded to, is the problem with NSW at the moment, especially in the forwards. One could say that the game was gone, but again, when does that stop Queensland?

Focusing on a handful of Cordner errors to shift the blame onto him is pretty poor. He worked himself to the bone in that game, at least in part because Fifita and Woods were having such a bludge. I'm not inclined to blame him for a few small errors when the pitiful efforts of others are what really put NSW into such a bind.

MilkShark

First Grade
Even if we accept this reading of events, Fifita still stands there instead of making any effort to go after Wallace. Show me one try this series NSW scored against Queensland where two lead front-rowers just threw their hands up and let it happen; absolute worst-case scenario is that they tried to do something and failed. This, as Gus and Johns alluded to, is the problem with NSW at the moment, especially in the forwards. One could say that the game was gone, but again, when does that stop Queensland?

Focusing on a handful of Cordner errors to shift the blame onto him is pretty poor. He worked himself to the bone in that game, at least in part because Fifita and Woods were having such a bludge. I'm not inclined to blame him for a few small errors when the pitiful efforts of others are what really put NSW into such a bind.
You don't blame Cordner for plodding it up in Game 3 as captain?

Well you should, it was disgraceful.

Cordner let a try in, pretty much let another in (Cronk help up), knocked the ball on ON QLDs try line and knocked on 1 or 2 more times after that. It was a pathetic effort and he should be called out for it. He played a very very very major part in losing game 3.

Cordner is a nice guy, completely respectful of the QLD team. Great, who cares. Nice guys don't win football games.

We need a captain that hates QLD that much that he sets fire to every piece of maroon coloured clothing in his wardrobe. Not one that tries hard and and can deliver a nice to speach to QLD.

Biggest pussy NSW captain ever.

I'm not sticking up for Woods or Fifita, but you can't blame them for the loss. Woods is a useless hack (lol @ bulldogs) and Fifita read his headlines in the paper too much.

OldPanther

Coach
don't Gus' boys have the right culture and leadership to bring into NSW? if he's confident in his players, than they can be the ones to set the right example, just like the melbourne connection, lockyer and thurston have done with QLD

his comments say more about penrith than NSW really. if they don't have the discipline to do the right things off and on the field for NSW, then they're not the players NSW should select anyway.

You expect a few Penrith player to influence the culture which is rotten all the way to the top? It's no wonder he doesn't want them there.

betcats

Referee
don't Gus' boys have the right culture and leadership to bring into NSW? if he's confident in his players, than they can be the ones to set the right example, just like the melbourne connection, lockyer and thurston have done with QLD

his comments say more about penrith than NSW really. if they don't have the discipline to do the right things off and on the field for NSW, then they're not the players NSW should select anyway.

Yeah 20yo Nathan Cleary is going to come in and set the tone. Honestly I think Gus' comments are silly and counter productive, but he isn't exactly wrong. The team selections has been an issue for a long times, its obvious club ties and politics are heavily involved(Dylan Walker etc) in the selections. Look at how our players carry themselves off the field, talking about dynasties after one win and then sooking about getting sledged after a loss. We've got a coach who picks and sticks with his favourites and refuses to make in game adjustments or even adjustments from game to game. How did Laurie survive the 50 point demolition we copped in 15? Does performance not count at the NSWRL? Its obvious its just a bunch of blokes looking at for themselves.

All that being said I wish Gus had of just kept his opinion to himself this time, this doesn't help for mine.

big hit!

Bench
You expect a few Penrith player to influence the culture which is rotten all the way to the top? It's no wonder he doesn't want them there.

Yeah 20yo Nathan Cleary is going to come in and set the tone. Honestly I think Gus' comments are silly and counter productive, but he isn't exactly wrong. The team selections has been an issue for a long times, its obvious club ties and politics are heavily involved(Dylan Walker etc) in the selections. Look at how our players carry themselves off the field, talking about dynasties after one win and then sooking about getting sledged after a loss. We've got a coach who picks and sticks with his favourites and refuses to make in game adjustments or even adjustments from game to game. How did Laurie survive the 50 point demolition we copped in 15? Does performance not count at the NSWRL? Its obvious its just a bunch of blokes looking at for themselves.

All that being said I wish Gus had of just kept his opinion to himself this time, this doesn't help for mine.

why not? 2 of the players being thrown about as possible NSW reps are halves.....they're the ones all the others will be looking to for direction around the park. if they don't have the mettle and can't handle that pressure of being leaders, then they shouldn't be selected anyway. you've got no choice as a half. doesn't matter how young you are. they can't hide on the wing.

OldPanther

Coach
why not? 2 of the players being thrown about as possible NSW reps are halves.....they're the ones all the others will be looking to for direction around the park. if they don't have the mettle and can't handle that pressure of being leaders, then they shouldn't be selected anyway. you've got no choice as a half. doesn't matter how young you are. they can't hide on the wing.

Absolutely. They aren't going to change NSWRL though. The coach is the one who has to lead the way first and foremost. He's the one who has to demand better than drinking and being lazy. Also the captain.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Even if we accept this reading of events, Fifita still stands there instead of making any effort to go after Wallace.

Watch it again. Fifita is there.

If you were being a harsh judge, you could say Fifita might be guilty of going for the ball not the man. But you can't blame him for that. Wallace gets a lucky bounce and little chance of stopping him from there.

If you want to blame anybody, blame Cordner for slipping off the tackle. Or Pearce for not making contact.

OldPanther

Coach
Watch it again. Fifita is there.

If you were being a harsh judge, you could say Fifita might be guilty of going for the ball not the man. But Wallace gets a lucky bounce. And there's no way in hell he is stopping him from there.

If you want to blame anybody, blame Cordner for slipping off the tackle. Or Pearce for not making contact.

Fifi was pretty lazy there though there were a few players you could say let the tem down there.

betcats

Referee

It starts from the top down. Cleary or Moylan could certainly help change the culture but it takes more than two players. If selected they would go out and give 110 percent and lead the team as best they can and do their best to lead by example of that I have no doubt. But they can't make players buy in and they certainly wont have more say than the coach or selectors, culture isn't just about what happens off the field, its built off the field on the training paddock. Laurie IMO has fostered this weak culture by refusing to hold anyone accountable for just about anything and basically guaranteeing certain players their spots. We got flogged by 50 couple years ago and the first thing he does is come out and say he will be picking the same side next year to try protect the players feelings or some bullshit. f**k em, they just got paid 30k to play woeful football and relax in hotels with their mates for 10 days. If they don't perform get rid of them to keep giving them chances and let them run around hitting the piss.

A real change isn't going to come from just one or two players, its starts with the staff and will need the players to be on board.

Anyway I don't like Goulds comments, if they are the best option Penriths players should be selected but expecting them to change the culture themselves is silly.

OldPanther

Coach
It starts from the top down. Cleary or Moylan could certainly help change the culture but it takes more than two players. If selected they would go out and give 110 percent and lead the team as best they can and do their best to lead by example of that I have no doubt. But they can't make players buy in and they certainly wont have more say than the coach or selectors, culture isn't just about what happens off the field, its built off the field on the training paddock. Laurie IMO has fostered this weak culture by refusing to hold anyone accountable for just about anything and basically guaranteeing certain players their spots. We got flogged by 50 couple years ago and the first thing he does is come out and say he will be picking the same side next year to try protect the players feelings or some bullshit. f**k em, they just got paid 30k to play woeful football and relax in hotels with their mates for 10 days. If they don't perform get rid of them to keep giving them chances and let them run around hitting the piss.

A real change isn't going to come from just one or two players, its starts with the staff and will need the players to be on board.

Anyway I don't like Goulds comments, if they are the best option Penriths players should be selected but expecting them to change the culture themselves is silly.

Well said.

Willie Ray

Bench
Ole Gus was absolutely dry humping the blues after game one...all the players are at the peak of their careers...the tide has turned...even the word dynasty was used.Now he wouldn't let any of his players near the blues camp,that's a gold medal winning gold medal winning backflip.
Good on ya Gus

big hit!

Bench

Absolutely. They aren't going to change NSWRL though. The coach is the one who has to lead the way first and foremost. He's the one who has to demand better than drinking and being lazy. Also the captain.

agree with what both of you are saying and i've been saying the same thing for years. Daley hasn't managed his tenure well at all, and the NSWRL haven't helped with decisions on where to stay in camp being based on sponsorship, etc

my point is more that Gus' comments are a bit of a backhander to his own players and club. Does he think that the NSW Origin culture will permeate through Penrith? That players such as Cleary, Moylan, Mansour and Peachy are corruptible? If that's the case, then Penrith have their own issues.

You have to remember that Smith & Thurston were young guys once too coming into the Origin set up after QLD got beat up in a few series defeats. They were young fellas who led the way and were a big part in the transformation of their fortunes from a position that look helpless.

OldPanther

Coach
agree with what both of you are saying and i've been saying the same thing for years. Daley hasn't managed his tenure well at all, and the NSWRL haven't helped with decisions on where to stay in camp being based on sponsorship, etc

my point is more that Gus' comments are a bit of a backhander to his own players and club. Does he think that the NSW Origin culture will permeate through Penrith? That players such as Cleary, Moylan, Mansour and Peachy are corruptible? If that's the case, then Penrith have their own issues.

You have to remember that Smith & Thurston were young guys once too coming into the Origin set up after QLD got beat up in a few series defeats. They were young fellas who led the way and were a big part in the transformation of their fortunes from a position that look helpless.

I think were on the same page. I'm not a fan of Gus coming out and saying that.

Life's Good

Coach
I think were on the same page. I'm not a fan of Gus coming out and saying that.
I meant to post earlier that Gus should probably lay low on this. It's fine to say that NSW have a poor culture and he doesn't want his players exposed to that. The same could be said of Penrith with the TMM & Cartwright saga being something parents of juniors wouldn't want their kids exposed to. Now we all know these player 'issues' are simply caused by poor decisions by the individual and the fallout is usually agenda driven to create the headlines. Add to the fact NSW couldn't win a root in a brothel with a fistful of cash and this is what you get. Anyway, that's how I see it.

OldPanther

Coach
I meant to post earlier that Gus should probably lay low on this. It's fine to say that NSW have a poor culture and he doesn't want his players exposed to that. The same could be said of Penrith with the TMM & Cartwright saga being something parents of juniors wouldn't want their kids exposed to. Now we all know these player 'issues' are simply caused by poor decisions by the individual and the fallout is usually agenda driven to create the headlines. Add to the fact NSW couldn't win a root in a brothel with a fistful of cash and this is what you get. Anyway, that's how I see it.

That's a fair opinion.

betcats

Referee

I agree with some of that, but the thing is people will always make mistakes, it's about what you after those mistakes. I think in this context its worth remembering we made our own captain and another important player play reserve grade for breaking the team rules in a minor way, we did the same thing with Peachey last year so we do take it seriously under Gus and Hook, it's something I've been proud the club for doing in a lean year especially after hearing about what Roberts has been getting away with in Brisbane etc

No one really knows what happened with TMM, I think something did but yeah it's all guessing and the Carty situation flat out did not warrant a club sanction and IMO in no way, shape or form does it reflect on the team culture.

All that being said I'm not a fan of Goulds comments and think he should not of blasted them like that, he could've expressed that opinion in many other more helpful ways without being so dramatic.

Nightward

Juniors
Fifi was pretty lazy there though there were a few players you could say let the tem down there.

Not just there, though. All night. Cordner absolutely destroyed both Woods and Fifita (or both combined) for metres made because they decided to be passengers. I highlighted that incident because it's one where both of them fail to put in the effort required for an Origin game. I wouldn't even accept that performance at the club level.

Ole Gus was absolutely dry humping the blues after game one...all the players are at the peak of their careers...the tide has turned...even the word dynasty was used.Now he wouldn't let any of his players near the blues camp,that's a gold medal winning gold medal winning backflip.
Good on ya Gus

Gus is always like that in commentary though. If I had a dollar for every time he's announced one team is completely shot and about to be blown away because they look a bit worn out only for them to run away with a game I'd never need to work again.

That said I think his analysis was spot on after game 3 this time. Whether anyone at NSWRL listens and acts is another question entirely- the central issues like constantly selecting Pearce as halfback and shuffling so many players out of position have been in the spotlight for years but they keep going back to that well.