What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW going forward

King hit

Coach
Hayne will still be there regardless of how well he plays. I'm a huge fan of Hayne and always will be. Hope Nathan Cleary can get a crack sooner than later.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Since Mitchell Moses joined Parra he's showed he has way more talent than Nathan Cleary,just needed a good coach like Arthur to teach him how to tackle and now he's carving up

Mitchell Moses 4th on the ladder
Nathan Cleary 9th on the ladder

NSW next year

6 Matt Moylan/James Maloney
7 Mitchell Moses

Lol at Cleary

OldPanther

Coach
Since Mitchell Moses joined Parra he's showed he has way more talent than Nathan Cleary,just needed a good coach like Arthur to teach him how to tackle and now he's carving up

Mitchell Moses 4th on the ladder
Nathan Cleary 9th on the ladder

NSW next year

6 Matt Moylan/James Maloney
7 Mitchell Moses

Lol at Cleary

Lol at Moses who can't even beat Newcastle.

Cleary > Moses.

Spot On

Coach
Better fix up the sticking pile of shit that is the NSWRL ASAP so Gus will let Cleary debut next year.

NSW has a whole bunch of worthy prospects ready to go right now. However, don't think that any of them will be selected for Origin. Look forward to the same Origin stinkers to be put forward and selected in 2018.

NSW problems go right to the very top of the organisation and there lies the dilemma that NSW faces. Every year, year after year after year, the same decision makers make the same decision.

You can change the team, because you know who they are, but you can't change the top brass. They duck responsibility because they aren't accountable to the fans and don't bear any responsibility for the results. They just keep collecting their paychecks. As if they were doing a fine job.

What do 12 years of results tell us about the job they are doing?

Just go back to discussing teams for the future. That's like changing the tyres on a worn-out jalopy. Change the jalopy.

MKCS

Juniors
Never play for NSW again

Jarryd Hayne,Blake Ferguson,Aaron Woods,Josh Dugan,Mitchell Pearce,Josh Jackson,Wade Graham

On thin ice

Boyd Cordner,Andrew Fifita,Nathan Peats

Deserves another crack

James Tedesco,Tyson Frizell,David Klemmer,Jack Bird,Jack Trboyevic,James Maloney

Ehhh.

I think Woods, Dugan, Jackson and Graham all play again next year. Jackson doesn't offer much in attack but he's a really good defender so maybe playing him at lock and just have him tackling his heart out could work and be beneficial for NSW if there are points in other areas.

Personally I'd drop Maloney, he wasn't good enough for NSW this year and Bird was a wasted spot as well. Either he starts or doesn't play at all.

Cordner will definitely play and rightfully so. Peats will play until someone better comes along and Fifita will also play. If I was the new coach I'd be giving firm warnings to Woods, Graham and Fifita that a repeat of 2017 would see them be dropped with no hesitation.

Just for fun, NSW 2018 team:

1. James Tedesco (Easy choice)

2. Josh Mansour (Again, easy choice if fit)

3. Michael Jennings (Based on form right now he has to get the call up but Croker, Hayne and probably even Bird and Walker despite playing on the other side would be in the hunt)

4. Josh Dugan (Any mishaps and he's out)

5. James Roberts (Does a good job defensively and is one of the quickest in the game. Deserves the nod)

6. Matt Moylan (Maloney dropped due to being unable to get the job done. Moylan offers something new and exciting and is a legitimate game changer)

7. Nathan Cleary (Hardest position to pick. Mitch Moses is a possibility as is Adam Reynolds but I give Cleary the nod because of the Penrith combination)

8. Aaron Woods (Gets the formal warning from new coach that if he isn't good enough this year then he won't be back. When he's on he's a phenomenal player but the problem is NSW didn't get his best this year)

9. Damien Cook (I think they'll pick Peats but I say why not Cook? NSW need points and Cook is a handy enough defender whilst having good speed and attacking ability. If Souths go good next year and he's doing well I'd definitely consider him)

10. Andrew Fifita (Much like his mate Woods he gets the formal warning. More performances like Game 1 2017 and less performances like 2 and 3. If he can't come through in 2018 he is dropped and forced to earn his way back in and prove himself)

11. Boyd Cordner (C) (He's the captain and the best second rower in the state. Easy selection)

12. Josh Jackson (Some don't like him but he's a strong defender and with a QLD left edge that will likely consist of Papalii/Munster/Inglis/Boyd we need all the help we can get out there)

13. Jake Trbojevic (One of NSW's best this year off the bench and deserves a move into the starting line up. He''s a guy who can have this position for a good 10 years which is what NSW needs)

14. David Klemmer (One of NSW's best this year in the prop department and has never let us down)

15. Paul Vaughan (Should've been picked this year)

16. Tyson Frizell (Him coming on in 20 minute bursts is very dangerous and he could do damage to tired QLD forwards)

17. Wade Graham (He was terrible this year but I'd give him a simpler game plan. Unless there is injury he's going to come on, play second row and try to break the line. No time at 6, no kicks just run hard, tackle hard and get shit done)

Coach: Geoff Toovey (I'd like Craig Bellamy but out of the options being tossed around Toovey is probably the best. I love Fittler but I don't think he's the man to turn NSW around)

glockers

Juniors
I think we can't go the same old faces and need to go younger with a pick and stick policy. We will most likely lose again but we need to set up for the post Smith era.

1. James Tedesco

2. Josh Mansour

3. Latrell Mitchell (Jennings is also an option but less pick younger and plan for the future)

4. James Roberts

5. Tom Trbojevic

6. Luke Keary

7. Nathan Cleary

8. Jake Trbojevic

9. Peter Wallace (breaking the youth rule here as having a hooker that combines with the halfback is important)

10. David Klemmer

11. Boyd Cordner (C)

12. Tyson Frizzel (play him solely on the edge. He has impact there running at halves and is wasted in the middle).

13. Nathan Brown (outstanding this year and worth trying at origin level)

14. Alex Twal (this is probably my most controversial pick, but never misses a tackle, defensively superb and makes big metres off the Tigers bench)

15. Paul Vaughan

16. Angus Crichton (impressive year and clearly one if the 2 outstanding young edge forward of the comp)

17. Adam Elliott (ditto the Crichton comments)

OldPanther

Coach
I think we can't go the same old faces and need to go younger with a pick and stick policy. We will most likely lose again but we need to set up for the post Smith era.

1. James Tedesco

2. Josh Mansour

3. Latrell Mitchell (Jennings is also an option but less pick younger and plan for the future)

4. James Roberts

5. Tom Trbojevic

6. Luke Keary

7. Nathan Cleary

8. Jake Trbojevic

9. Peter Wallace (breaking the youth rule here as having a hooker that combines with the halfback is important)

10. David Klemmer

11. Boyd Cordner (C)

12. Tyson Frizzel (play him solely on the edge. He has impact there running at halves and is wasted in the middle).

13. Nathan Brown (outstanding this year and worth trying at origin level)

14. Alex Twal (this is probably my most controversial pick, but never misses a tackle, defensively superb and makes big metres off the Tigers bench)

15. Paul Vaughan

16. Angus Crichton (impressive year and clearly one if the 2 outstanding young edge forward of the comp)

17. Adam Elliott (ditto the Crichton comments)

Luke Keary doesn't want to play for NSW.

http://m.nrl.com/cleary-could-be-the-next-thurston-hunt/tabid/10874/newsid/112056/default.aspx

Cleary could be the next Thurston: Hunt
image.ashx

Brisbane Broncos hooker Ben Hunt has praised young Penrith Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary ahead of their clash on Friday night, saying the 19-year-old is on track to reach the heights of North Queensland Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston.

It is a huge compliment from Hunt, with Thurston regarded as one of the greatest players in history after achieving almost everything in rugby league.

Cleary, who is playing in just his second year of NRL, is arguably better than Thurston was at the same age, with Thurston then playing off the bench for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Playing first grade at such a young age is an achievement in itself, but Cleary has already asserted himself as one of the form halves of the competition, guiding the Panthers to the finals and creating history in the process.

The local junior this season became the youngest player in NRL history to score 200 points in a year, and if the Panthers' run continues late into September then he may reach 250.

His ability to score and set up tries is up there with some of the game's best, and that is why Hunt and his Broncos teammates are treating him the same way as they would Thurston.

"It's like you're going into a game against Thurston. You just have to prepare the best you can and work together as a team defensively to try and maintain him," Hunt said.

"He's so young and look what he's done in the game already. I think it won't be hard for him to get to the heights of Thurston.

"I think he's proven to everyone this year that he's a world-class player and he's done it for a whole season. He's not patchy or inconsistent.

"He's a fierce competitor and a great player in how own right. His biggest thing is that he's been consistent all year. He plays with such a cool head on his shoulders."

Cleary currently sits on 226 points for the season, scoring 11 tries of his own and converting many more to comfortably lead the competition in individual points scored.

He has set up almost as many tries as he has scored, leading Penrith for try assists with 10 for the year.

There is no doubting that he is the leader of the Panthers' attack – a fact not lost on Hunt who will be looking to pressure Cleary as much as possible while defending at hooker.

"I think a lot of teams have tried pretty hard to try and stop him this year [and failed]. He's shown how good of a player he is," he said.

"It doesn't matter what you do, he will find a way around and find a weakness in your defence.

"We just have to prepare the best we can to shut him down and get up on him quick to limit his opportunities."

Bit far.

MKCS

Juniors
Glockers brings up an interesting point about focusing on the youth but I don't agree with his selections. We should be going into these games looking to win and if a younger player is going to fill a spot he should be at least top 3 for his state to achieve that.

1. James Tedesco 2. Josh Mansour 3. Jack Bird 4. Josh Dugan 5. James Roberts 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Aaron Woods 9. Damien Cook/Api Korosaiu (Someone who is quick and scoots well) 10. Andrew Fifita 11. Boyd Cordner (C) 12. Josh Jackson 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Paul Vaughan 15. David Klemmer 16. Jack De Belin 17. Wade Graham

Latrell Mitchell, Angus Crichton and Nick Cotric to make the squad with Latrell and Crichton being considered in 2019 or 2020.

NSW will be going up against a Queensland side in 2018 that is likely to look like this:

1. Billy Slater 2. Darius Boyd 3. Greg Inglis 4. Will Chambers 5. Dane Gagai 6. Cameron Munster 7. Michael Morgan 8. Matt Scott 9. Cameron Smith (C) 10. Dylan Napa 11. Josh Papalii 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire 14. Jarrod Wallace 15. Felise Kaufusi 16. Coen Hess 17. Anthony Milford

On paper the Queensland side despite losing both starting halves still looks much stronger.

Glockers brings up an interesting point about focusing on the youth but I don't agree with his selections. We should be going into these games looking to win and if a younger player is going to fill a spot he should be at least top 3 for his state to achieve that.

1. James Tedesco 2. Josh Mansour 3. Jack Bird 4. Josh Dugan 5. James Roberts 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Aaron Woods 9. Damien Cook/Api Korosaiu (Someone who is quick and scoots well) 10. Andrew Fifita 11. Boyd Cordner (C) 12. Josh Jackson 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Paul Vaughan 15. David Klemmer 16. Jack De Belin 17. Wade Graham

Latrell Mitchell, Angus Crichton and Nick Cotric to make the squad with Latrell and Crichton being considered in 2019 or 2020.

NSW will be going up against a Queensland side in 2018 that is likely to look like this:

1. Billy Slater 2. Darius Boyd 3. Greg Inglis 4. Will Chambers 5. Dane Gagai 6. Cameron Munster 7. Michael Morgan 8. Matt Scott 9. Cameron Smith (C) 10. Dylan Napa 11. Josh Papalii 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire 14. Jarrod Wallace 15. Felise Kaufusi 16. Coen Hess 17. Anthony Milford

On paper the Queensland side despite losing both starting halves still looks much stronger.
That would be a great QLD team to put on the park. You left out Cronk.

Latest posts