What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

adamkungl

Immortal
A month out from the start of the season and we have no recent form to go by....so who are your picks to topple QLD?

Here's mine, with added Roosters bias :sarcasm:

1 Hayne
2 Stewart
3 Cooper
4 Lawrence
5 Minichiello
6 Carney
7 Pearce
8 Bailey (c)
9 Ennis
10 Weyman
11 Watmough
12 Creagh
13 Bird

14 Lewis
15 Gallen
16 Poore
17 Douglas

mxlegend99

Referee
Well assuming everyone is fit and inform, this would be my side:

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Chris Lawrence
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley (c)
8. Jason Ryles
9. Michael Ennis
10. Justin Poore
11. Ben Creagh
12. Paul Gallen
13. Anthony Watmough

14. Luke Lewis
15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Keith Galloway
17. Michael Weyman

The bench is the hardest part... I wasn't sure on who to select out of those that I named and the likes of Douglas, O'Donnell, Bailey, White etc.

As for the Roosters biased side, you left out the only Rooster that would probably deserve a place in the team. Not a fan of Ryles, but if he comes back in form could be the best front rower that NSW have to offer.

petetheileet

First Grade
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence/Jennings/Idris (whoever is in best form as long as Idris' D improves)
4. Morris
5. Morris
6. Carney (made for origin i rekon)
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Douglas
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Lewis

14. Soward (Gidley sux)
15. O'Donnell
16. Learoyd Lahrs
17. Poore

Just the team i think would have the best crack

Youth and speed in the backs

big, tough, strong youthful pack

keep that team together for 3 or 4 years until another half back can step up and you got yourself a contender!

adamkungl

Immortal
Coming at this from the other direction, what horrible selection mistakes do we expect the selectors to make?

Picking rubbish halves for games 1 and 2 then changing to what it should have been from the start for game 3?

Or the arguably just as bad, picking a young halves combo for game 1 then dropping them after 1 close loss.

Or, picking Gidley?

watatank

Coach
Coming at this from the other direction, what horrible selection mistakes do we expect the selectors to make?

Picking rubbish halves for games 1 and 2 then changing to what it should have been from the start for game 3?

Or the arguably just as bad, picking a young halves combo for game 1 then dropping them after 1 close loss.

Or, picking Gidley?

Or picking centres that can't stop Inglis and Hodges?

Selecting the next Bellamy special in the backline (i.e. Quinn, Turner, McManus)?

Leaving Hayne on the wing?

Picking White or Perry?

Bringing Wallace back?

petetheileet

First Grade
Inglis is such a headache!!!

Cooper is the obvious answer, but then do you play him on the right???

then the B Moz combo on the wing, do you switch him aswell??

they are so comfortable on the left hand side

adamkungl

Immortal
Or picking centres that can't stop Inglis and Hodges?

Selecting the next Bellamy special in the backline (i.e. Quinn, Turner, McManus)?

Leaving Hayne on the wing?

Picking White or Perry?

Bringing Wallace back?

Agree with all except the bolded....
Hayne is arguably the best fullback in the game at the moment, but imo 1 Stewart 2 Hayne is better overall than the reverse

watatank

Coach
Agree with all except the bolded....
Hayne is arguably the best fullback in the game at the moment, but imo 1 Stewart 2 Hayne is better overall than the reverse

Disagree. Hayne's the best fullback available, his best position is fullback, he can be more influential from fullback and his ability to play like a second five eighth and his kicking game is something we can use. Makes perfect sense to me.

If Stewart is too good to leave out we can always stick him on the wing. He hasn't played much there but I think he has the attributes to do well there.

mxlegend99

Referee
Disagree. Hayne's the best fullback available, his best position is fullback, he can be more influential from fullback and his ability to play like a second five eighth and his kicking game is something we can use. Makes perfect sense to me.

If Stewart is too good to leave out we can always stick him on the wing. He hasn't played much there but I think he has the attributes to do well there.
If both players are in the team, the team overall would be stronger with Stewart at fullback and Hayne on the wing. Brett Stewart was right up there with Billy Slater as the best fullback in the game before missing most of last season and has done a great job for NSW at fullback already, while Jarryd Hayne has been great for NSW on the wing.

It probably won't matter though. There's a good chance that Brett Stewart won't be an option.

adamkungl

Immortal
On the "Bellamy specials"...no chance this year. There is amazing competition for wing and centre spots with Stewart and Mini hopefully fit and firing, the rise of the Morris twins, Lawrence and Jennings, and of course the return of Tahu. Rubbish like Quinn and Turner won't get a look in

watatank

Coach
If both players are in the team, the team overall would be stronger with Stewart at fullback and Hayne on the wing. Brett Stewart was right up there with Billy Slater as the best fullback in the game before missing most of last season and has done a great job for NSW at fullback already, while Jarryd Hayne has been great for NSW on the wing.

It probably won't matter though. There's a good chance that Brett Stewart won't be an option.

Stewart is about as good (IMO better) than Slater but I think Hayne has proven he's better than both.

The way I see it, if we're going to pick Hayne on the wing it's going to be a case of selecting a fullback to play on the wing because he's too good to leave out. If it was the other way around...same result. The benefits of moving Hayne to fullback far outweigh the possible negatives of switching Stewart to wing (or leaving him on the wing and bringing in Stewart at fullback) and let's face it...if Stewart can't handle wing then he's not good enough to be selected ahead of Hayne at fullback either.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Morris
4. Tahu
5. Morris
6. Mortimer
7. Kimmorely
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Ryles
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Bird

14. Soward
15. Snowden
16. Learoyd Lahrs
17. Poore

watatank

Coach
On the "Bellamy specials"...no chance this year. There is amazing competition for wing and centre spots with Stewart and Mini hopefully fit and firing, the rise of the Morris twins, Lawrence and Jennings, and of course the return of Tahu. Rubbish like Quinn and Turner won't get a look in
Maybe but that might not stop Gidley being selected at fullback,...

1. Gidley. (C).
2. McManus.
3. Jennings.
4. Cooper.
5. Monaghan.
6. Mullen.
7. Kimmorley.
8. Cross.
9. Ennis.
10. White.
11. Simpson.
12. Watmough.
13. Stewart.

14. De Gois.
15. Houston.
16. Poore.
17. Bailey.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jesus Christ Baron, you are taking the piss arn't you?

Gidley should only get the fullback gig if Hayne and Stewart are unavailable, otherwise he should be fighting out the bench spot with Lewis.

McManus, Simpson, Mullen, Houston and De Gois? No Hayne? You truely are the skeepe of the Knights fanbase. I couldn't think of a worse insult

MacDougall

First Grade
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Stewart
3. Chris Lawrence
4. Michael Jennings
5. Eric Grothe
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Justin Poore
9. Robbie Farah
10. Michael Weyman
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Paul Gallen

14. Greg Bird
15. Keith Galloway
16. Luke Douglas
17. Todd Carney (by this stage he'll probably be a killer utility, covering halves and fullback.)

Latest posts