What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW schools competitions

papabear

Juniors
I went to normanhurst and played rugby, when I went there most people watched and followed league, nobody gave a crap about rugby although I am not sure thats the same nowadays being so long since the bears were killed.

But in any event, we should have had the option to play league. I mean we even played in a union comp against some northern beaches schools and a random afl knockout comp?

Is there anyone involved in Junior Rugby League if there are any discussions about having league as an option at normanhurst (and all the other schools in that comp ie homebush ashfield north sydney asquith)??

Really it should be.

girvie

Staff member
I went to normanhurst and played rugby, when I went there most people watched and followed league, nobody gave a crap about rugby although I am not sure thats the same nowadays being so long since the bears were killed.

But in any event, we should have had the option to play league. I mean we even played in a union comp against some northern beaches schools and a random afl knockout comp?

Is there anyone involved in Junior Rugby League if there are any discussions about having league as an option at normanhurst (and all the other schools in that comp ie homebush ashfield north sydney asquith)??

Really it should be.
Some of the high school rugby league programs I know of in the area include:
- all schools gala days
- 7s competition
- leaguetag competitions

It'll be up to the school what competitions they enter, but it would be great to see more and more schools entering these competitions.

The ARL development also run backyard league skills clinics in high schools.

Playing club rugby league is the best way to get the most rugby league action. Asquith, Pennant Hills, Hills Hawks and Berowra would be the two closest clubs for boys from Normanhurst.

papabear

Juniors
Thanks for responding girvie.

I am more thinking what kind of school would I like my son to go to, and that would be one that has good academics and a league program.

Good academics are in primarily selective and private schools.

Whilst I appreciate that the school would have to agree to something, it would be nice to know if the ARLC was using some of its money to make ovals/equipment available to convince more strong schools to get on board.

drago brelli

Bench

I am more thinking what kind of school would I like my son to go to, and that would be one that has good academics and a league program.

Whilst I appreciate that the school would have to agree to something, it would be nice to know if the ARLC was using some of its money to make ovals/equipment available to convince more strong schools to get on board.
The bold faced underlined comment needs to be further explained.

drago brelli

Bench
going by HSC results they tend to be topped by a majority of selective and private schools.
Academically selective public schools topping the 'HSC league tables', well blow me down. Some of the elite private schools are academically selective as well, eg; Syd Grammar. Some of the other private boot out the underperforming or poorly behaved students. The 'league tables' mean a lot to these schools, eg; marketing. No good marks impacts on numbers which means less money coming into the school. Egelitarianism, what's that?

papabear

Juniors
With respect I don't want to get into an argument regarding the fairness of the school system.

I just want to make the point that I am looking around at good schools for my kid where he can get into a rugby league program and there are none.

His schooling years a while off, giving my little campaign here a while to get some momentum.

girvie

Staff member

Look at St Leo's College, Wahroonga, Cherrybrook Technology High School or Asquith Boys High School which are league schools.

There is also Marist College North Shore at North Sydney, where Mitchell Pearce and Kieran Foran were old boys.

Latest posts