What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2017

big hit!

Bench
So changing the side every year to bring in whoever has had a couple of good games is the way to go? NSW have too many options and there is much more scope to pick the wrong ones. That is the whole problem.

I think they should stick largely with the side that won the last game. Players who are in form need to stay in form and they'll get a go sooner or later.
agree with your first point. don't agree with your second point.

the team to select should be made of players who have consistently played at a good level for several seasons. not a sample of just 10 early season games.

and the last game was a dead rubber

RazorRam0n

Juniors
the form debate doesn't take into account the worst a player is capable of.

latrell mitchell is a classic example of that.

imagine his last game as a blues call-up? it would be an absolute calamity.

the reason why incumbents get priority is because they know what level they need to be at....worst case

TheFrog

Coach
and the last game was a dead rubber
It's not as though Queensland weren't trying to win. I don't think theres any such thing as a dead rubber in SoO. Anyway, this is what I think the coach will do, based on prior history, not necessarily what I would do. I'm not a coach.

MKCS

Juniors
Did a team earlier this year but now having seen the first 7-8 rounds of competition I feel I'm a bit more educated in my selections:

1. Jarryd Hayne (If he finds any kind of good solid form he needs to be in here. If he returns to the Titans unmotivated and lazy I would put Tedesco right in there. Hayne has the experience that our young NSW team needs)

2. Tom Trbojevic (Debut #1. Mansours out, he's the only guy who can play left wing that has really put his hand up. He'd be one of the couple in here I'd put in City Vs Country to see how he performs)

3. Jack Bird (Played well last year, doing better than Jennings this year and is a big future Origin star. Give him this spot as his own for the next 5 years and watch him make it his own)

4. Josh Dugan (We're going with one of Ferguson/Dugan this year and in my mind Dugan is the frontrunner right now. He's capable defensively but Ferguson may start hitting massive strides for the Roosters and be impossible not to select. Dugan for now but if Ferguson puts his hand up, pick him)

5. James Roberts (Debut #2. One of the quickest men in league and NSW desperately needs pace. Playing well at the Broncos and I think much like Jack Bird if you give him a shot and have patience with him he'd be someone who could make the position their own. He'd play City Vs Country this year as well to give him some experience.)

6. James Maloney (Easy selection, he's one of the best goalkickers in the state and the Australian selectors as of last year viewed him the second best five eight in Australia. Maloney has to play.)

7. MItchell Pearce (Nobody else has really put their hand up. Hodkinson is busted, Reynolds has been solid but not spectacular whilst the likes of Townsend/Cleary/Sezer etc just aren't good enough/ready. Having a running halfback whilst Maloney focuses on organising and setting up plays could be beneficial and Pearce does bring something like 12 games of experience to the table)

8. Aaron Woods (This is one where I hope he comes good but he's allegedly quite unmotivated for the Tigers right now. Shouldn't effect his NSW performances so he gets the nod here)

9. Nathan Peats (Debut #3. Robbie Farah shouldn't play this year which really leaves Wallace and potentially Rein both who I think aren't as good as Peats. Peats isn't a gamebreaker but he won't do anything stupid or cost us the game either. He gets the nod although I'd give him a run in City Vs Country and see how he does.)

10. Andrew Fifita (Good player with experience. Is doing well at the Sharks and deserves his spot. Will do everything needed and more)

11. Boyd Cordner (Best second rower NSW has. is playing well at the Roosters and has never let NSW down at all. Should easily get the nod and will be there for years)

12. Wade Graham (Second best second rower NSW has on offer. Just won a premiership, debuted last year and didn't let anyone down. No reason he doesn't play this year)

13. Trent Merrin (C) (Simply because of how well he played last year for Australia and how he has seemingly got the lock position for Australia under lock and key. Not a lot of really good alternatives either)

14. Matt Moylan (20 minutes left in the game with NSW down by four desperately seeking a try I'd trust nobody more coming off the NSW bench than Moylan. Dude has the ability to change a game very quickly and shake things up. Also a good utility bench player since he could probably play hooker, anywhere in the halves and anywhere in the back)

15. Shannon Boyd (Debut #4. Has been doing well for the Raiders, looked good for Australia last year and at 122 kilograms he'll come off the bench and knocked tired QLD forwards for a loop. Another guy who should be in the team for many many years to come)

16. Paul Vaughan (Debut #5. I'd give him a run in City Vs Country and see how he does. Him and Russell Packer have done a lot of positive things for the Dragons pack and Vaughan has been playing well enough to deserve his spot here. If he doesn't impress in City Vs Country and his form drops you have Tamou and Klemmer snapping at his heels to take his place)

17. Tyson Frizell (Has a good offload, played last year and was really quite good and he'll build on that this year. No reason to exclude him)

---

For me that team is big and strong but also has some really good attacking players. 5 debuts which isn't too overwhelming and some experienced players to help guide the ship. Not entirely sure I want Merrin as the captain but I'm confident that team could win the series.

King hit

Coach
I keep thinking that Hayne should be there no matter what form he is in he always showed up in Origin. His performance in the 2014 series especially Game 1 was one of the best I've seen in Origin in recent years. Him and Jack Bird at centre would be good. Get rid of Jennings, he has been a good servant for us but his time is up now.

big hit!

Bench
FB: Tedesco
RW: Trbojevic
LW: Hayne (all about class, not two weeks of form)
RC: BJ (wrecking ball out wide)
LC: Jennings (NSW have a dearth of decent left centres - it's him or Josh Moz)
RH: Pearce (who else really?)
LH: Maloney
AH: Peats
RF: Cordner
LF: Graham (has been a top 5 edge forward for several years)
MF: Fifita (what can you say?)
MF: Vaughn (has been consistently good for several years)
MF: Merrin

IC: Bird (plays RC at Cronulla, but he is versatile and why not have both he and BJ in the side?)
IC: Boyd (tore it up last year in the middle for Canberra, and still tearing it up this year, although it helps having Papalii alongside you)
IC: Frizell (can play on the edge and starred in the middle for NSW last year)
IC: Paulo (another contributing to Canberra's middle, but showed how destructive he can be for Parra too)

I think we should choose the most potent attacking weapon in the centres, the QLD centres are poor players, let BJ and Hayne/Ferguson/Bird destroy them I say.

As far as lock goes, please no more Merrin. He's not effective at this level. J.Trobojevic is twice the player.

TheFrog

Coach
I think we should choose the most potent attacking weapon in the centres, the QLD centres are poor players, let BJ and Hayne/Ferguson/Bird destroy them I say.

As far as lock goes, please no more Merrin. He's not effective at this level. J.Trobojevic is twice the player.
Make you a deal- no Pearce for no Merrin.

Clifferd

Coach
I'd stick with Maloney/Reynolds (Souffs) combo tbh.

I just can't find a spot for moyza

18th man maybe? Or bench

Once Maloney retires I'd put him in the halves

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Unlike Merrin, Pearce has failed miserably at this level time and time again.

Are you still not sick of seeing him make a fool of himself at the highest level?

That's false...merrin has failed just as often as many others have

Drop them all if you're being consistent with that arguement

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I call to Laurie...

Pick Fifta @ 13.

Still in the middle but allowed to roam.

Pick Prior too, best Prop defender in the game, without question.

Woods, Tamou, Prior.

Put 13 on Fifta....

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I also see issue.

Boyd and Wade play the same side, along with Frizzel the best NSW backrowers.

But Laurie loves Jackson.

I'm probably Hayne's biggest fan but even I would leave him out of the team unless he can show he's up to it in coming weeks. I have no doubt that he could reach decent form but weather he does I'm not sure.

Latest posts