What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW U20's 2015

Tucantango

Juniors
Thanks for that SoM.

I'll take a stab and suggest SOO III which is being played at Suncorp.To date none of the previous U20 Origin games have been played in QLD - which is unlike the 16's and 18's which rotate each year.

Am i wrong here? It is my understanding that all U20's games (since its inception in 2010) have been played over the NSW 'City v Country' rep round weekend.

In saying that the Suncorp venue guide makes no mention of a curtain raiser for SOO III so I could be wrong. Perhaps SOO II in Melb?

isaiah

Bench
With the Aus v nz game being played before the interstate 20's game, early May, only 4 weeks away, who has started well in 2015?

isaiah

Bench
At full strength, aust would include Johnston, Holmes, sione mata'utai, Aitken, Hutchison, Hastings, bird, pangai, moeroa, Meehan, ofahengaue, lodge, who else?

half_back

Juniors
I bet like 2 of those players actually play

Also its being played before the Pacific Tests at Robina

You are no doubt correct and you can add T Trbojevic to that list. It's actually a good thing I don't think a full strength oz team would do much for the concept.

Imagine the following all with NRL experience:

1. Holmes
2. Johnston
3. Aitken
4. Mata'utia
5. Trbojevic
7. Hastings
8. Ofahengaue
10. Lodge
11. Meehan
12. Moeroa
13. Bird

Could be ugly.

isaiah

Bench
You are no doubt correct and you can add T Trbojevic to that list. It's actually a good thing I don't think a full strength oz team would do much for the concept.

Imagine the following all with NRL experience:

1. Holmes
2. Johnston
3. Aitken
4. Mata'utia
5. Trbojevic
7. Hastings
8. Ofahengaue
10. Lodge
11. Meehan
12. Moeroa
13. Bird

Could be ugly.
if they can get the clubs to release these players, I am buying a ticket. I know form in u20's is not as important as getting experience playing in the nrl, qld cup, or nsw cup, but arrow and fai are killing it for the Broncs. Maybe pick the 9 nsw superstars then add 8 QLDers who will bring the passion for the Occassion.

half_back

Juniors
It seems that Latrell Mitchell may be on the verge of NRL selection if the tele is to be believed. This would no doubt throw him heavily in the mix for NSW 20s on the wing or fullback dependant on Tom Trbojevic availability through injury.

The Sydney Roosters are considering writing to the NRL to seek special dispensation to stretch NRL laws and allow star NYC fullback Latrell Mitchell to debut in round 14.

Guidelines state youngsters must not debut prior to their 18th birthday. Mitchell would turn 18 on June 16 - three days after the Roosters play the Warriors in round 14.

Coach Trent Robinson is keen to blood Mitchell when Origin stars Daniel Tupou and Michael Jennings are out.

He is a project player for the Roosters and considered the long-term successor to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at fullback, but Robinson is keen to blood him on the wing first.

Tucantango

Juniors
Well sports fans, with the U/20’s selection due very shortly (probably this coming Monday, 22 June), what will the likely squad be? In my view this year’s team will look nothing like the U/18’s of 2013 as most will be unavailable because of NRL commitments. This is a shame really, but given that the end game is to reach (and stay) in the NRL you can’t really blame them.

Anyway I am thinking that Jack Bird, Sione Mata’utia, Euan Aitken, Alex Johnson and Jackson Hastings will definitely be unavailable due to NRL commitments. The second group of players that could also figure on the unavailability list because of possible NRL commitments will be Tepai Moeroa, Tom Trbojevic, and Robert Jennings (presently injured but might be ready for SOO III). Additionally you can take out those who are no-longer eligible for selection (i.e. Taane Milne, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, and Zac Dockar-Clay – NZRL Reps; and Fasio Tatola: Tongan Rugby Union).

Besides, most of those who will probably be unavailable for selection already have a U/20 NSW or Junior Kanga’s jersey hanging on mum’s lounge-room wall (e.g., poor Mrs. Mata’utia who probably needs another house to hang all of her four sons’ rep jerseys). So those left over from the U/18’s of 2013 now include:
Rhys Armstrong (Second Row)
Oliver Clark (Second Row/Lock)
Tyrell Fuiamono (Second Row)
Drew Hutchinson (Halve)
Liam Knight (Second Row)
Willis Meehan (Prop/Second Row)
Michael Morgan (Centre/Wing)
Tevita Pangai (Second Row/Lock)
Cheyne Whitelaw (Prop/Utility Forward)
Luke Yates (Prop)

Admittedly I have only seen a few live NYC games (mainly those which have been televised or those involving teams playing the Dragons - when I have gotten there early to see them). Anyway here is my stab:

U/20 - 2015
1. Lautrel Mitchell: refer to Half Back’s comments above. I too have seen this kid play. He had a great game on TV last weekend. Does have some handling errors (but then again they all do). He’s got that real x-factor about him
2. Nathan Davis/Charlie Taylor: admittedly I haven’t seen Davis play for a while. He is playing in a losing team at present, but doesn’t detract from him as player. Good finisher! Equally the same for Taylor, who is also a quality player with speed to burn. He has also been fine form as of late.
3. Michael Morgan/ Akeripa Tia Kalifi: like Davis, Morgan is playing in a team not travelling too well, but I saw his game the other week on TV and even though he was under-utilised in attack, his defence was solid. Tia Kilifi the ex-Panther cub is now playing for the Cowboys is probably in an ‘out-of-sight-out-of-mind’ position, however a friend in BrisVegas, who regularly gets up to Townsville for his beloved Cowboys games, tells me he is going well.
4. Johi Tohi: a real silent achiever in my opinion. He made his NRL debut last week after some solid performances in NSW Cup (irrespective of the fact the Rabbits are decimated with injury and certain Origin selections). I believe he is eligible for NSW selection (he’s not a Kiwi is he?). This would have to bring him into contention
5. Brent Naden/Paul Momirovski: I think one of these speedy wingers will fight it out for a wing spot.
6. Drew Hutchison: 2015 JK – goes without saying
7. I HONESTLY CAN’T DECIDE HERE!
8. Alex Twal: 2015 JK – goes without saying
9. Grant Garvey: this kid really impresses me with his dummy half running and support.
10. Matthew Lodge: 2015 JK – goes without saying
11. Tyrell Fuimaono: 2015 JK – goes without saying
12. Salesi Funaki: 2015 JK – goes without saying
13. Tevita Pangai: 2015 JK – goes without saying

14. Liam Knight: this guy would take a bus for his team. A committed player if ever there was one. Doesn’t know the meaning of ‘stop’!
15. Rhys Armstrong/Tyrone May: from what I have seen Armstrong is still playing well. Has good foot speed and is a solid edge defender. May, well this kid is another quiet achiever. Undervalued and underestimated in my opinion. He would be a great utility coming off the bench (backs or forwards).
17. Oliver Clark /Addison Demetriou: Clarke is another Knight in my opinion. Admittedly I haven’t seen him play other than on TV, so I will defer to others with respect to recent form. Demetriou on the other hand is my smoky. He has the x-factor ability and his damaging runs this year have been duly noted and recorded.
18. Luke Yates: the ever reliable ‘body-on-the-line’ workhorse should be there as there as part of the preliminary squad 20 odd. If Matt Lodge is called into the NRL (as he is this week) you can expect to see him figure for a spot on the bench.

Demetriou’s is actually an interesting story. For those that may recall, this kid was the next big thing back in 2010 when he came out of the U/15 National Champs with an ‘Australian Merit Team’ Selection and ‘Player of the Tournament’ to his credit. For mine his selection will be determined upon whether or not NSWRL have forgiven him for his indiscretion during the curtain raiser for SOO I - 2011 in Brisbane. He was an U/16 rep and was sent off in during that game for knocking the crap out of his opposing prop during a scrum. As the story goes ‘Blocker Roach’ was the forwards’ motivation coach during the 2011 U/16 camp. He filled these impressionable young lads’ heads with ‘love of Queensland’ and other kind sentiments etc. Well young Addison took the ‘Gospel of Roach’ into the game and during the scrums he would repeatedly make reference to the opposing prop’s mother and how he and his mates would just love to come around to her house for a social visit and BBQ (if you get my drift). Well this young Queenslander eventually took exception and threw a punch while they were packed in a scrum – he missed with his one punch – but Demetriou didn’t miss with his 10 or so strikes … LMAO … Anyway he was marched and fell into disfavour with NSWRL. I believe a drugs issue kept him out of the game for a stint as well. Well 2015 has been his redemption year and he thoroughly deserves to be selected!

There were some others I considered like Meehan, Fonua-Blake and Whitelaw. The first two I believe are still suspended as a result of indiscretions with the law, whereas Whitelaw is still out injured (yes?).

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Hopefully 2-3 Panthers make the side considering how dominant they have been over the past couple of months.

half_back

Juniors
Lodge will be ineligible. I believe the cut off now is less than 7 NRL games played to avoid previous fiascos of players withdrawing.

My team would look something like

1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Michael Morgan
3. John Olive
4. John Tohi
5. Brent Naden
6. Drew Hutchison
7. Lachlan Croker
8. Alex Twal
9. Grant Garvey
10. Oliver Clark
11. Salesi Funaki
12. Tyrell Fuimoano
13. Tevita Pangai
14. Soni Luke/Liam Coleman
15. Soni Hala
16. Vincent Leulaui
17. Daniel Safiti
Honourable mentions: Bevan French, Connor Watson, Paul Momorovski, Liam Knight, Izaac Thompson, Anthony Moraitis