What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW U20's 2015

Tucantango

Juniors
Dufty is playing very consistent behind a team without much forward punch this year.Still has produced some x factor and is very dangerous given some space. Was the 18's fullback last year.

I couldn't agree more! Dufty is a gun fullback, and in terms of attack I consider him to better than Mitchell. Nevertheless, NSWRL Selectors always seem to lean toward more 'defensive' players and that is where Mitchell has it on Dufty - IMO anyway.

There will be a few selections based on 'defence' as Queensland will be able mobilise a very formidable 'attacking' squad.

I'm sure we could fit both Latrell and Dufty in there somewhere, we'll need as much attacking flare as we can get! If it is true that they can't pick players who have played more the 7 first grade games then we're going to be in a bit of trouble.

Tucantango

Juniors
I'm sure we could fit both Latrell and Dufty in there somewhere, we'll need as much attacking flare as we can get! If it is true that they can't pick players who have played more the 7 first grade games then we're going to be in a bit of trouble.

What you say is true to a degree, however don't forget that QLD will be in the same boat (e.g., Valentine Holmes etc.).

With respect to finding room for Dufty, where you put him? He would be wasted on the wing as he is best in 'loose play' with tiring forwards in the middle. That is where he is at his elusive best!

For mine the coaches always seem to lean toward a more defensive team in these games, especially given the big outside backs QLD will probably take into the game. With the Nikorima brother (who I believe has not yet played 7 games) prone to wreak havoc Mitchell is a better proven cover defender!

saintm

Juniors
What you say is true to a degree, however don't forget that QLD will be in the same boat (e.g., Valentine Holmes etc.).

With respect to finding room for Dufty, where you put him? He would be wasted on the wing as he is best in 'loose play' with tiring forwards in the middle. That is where he is at his elusive best!

For mine the coaches always seem to lean toward a more defensive team in these games, especially given the big outside backs QLD will probably take into the game. With the Nikorima brother (who I believe has not yet played 7 games) prone to wreak havoc Mitchell is a better proven cover defender!

Please, you obviously you don't watch many dragons games our you have your eyes shut because duftys cover defence is very good always has been.

Tucantango

Juniors
Please, you obviously you don't watch many dragons games our you have your eyes shut because duftys cover defence is very good always has been.

Firstly, you're assuming that I am questioning Dufty's ability as a player - when and where did I say (even suggest) that his defensive abilities were lacking?

As a RedV member I get to see a lot of Dufty's games my friend. I am merely expressing my 'personal' opinion that Latrell Mitchell is a slightly better defender! If they choose a team based on attack then Dufty (as I stated above) gets over Mitchell. If the team is chosen on defensive capability, then IMO Mitchell gets the nod!

Hey I could be wrong! As I said its my opinion! Don't start accusing me of having bad eyesight or the like because I have an opinion that differs from yours.

First

I'd say move latrell to centre, I think he played else where in the other junior rep teams to accomodate Dufty at fullback.

Queensland will be without Holmes but that's nothing compared to what we loose. It will be a very difficult task imo but maybe it's a good thing for the game, if we had the likes of Johnston, Sione, Aitken etc it would end up being a slaughtering.

RWB

Bench
Latrell Mitchell still hasn't completely found his feet in the 20's yet, I haven't seen much of Duffy this year but by the sounds of it he's been very dominant. I'd just be picking him.

Joey Lussick returns to the Roosters side this week and pushes Garvey back to the bench, have been very impressed with Lussick since he's arrived. Would be my choice in the 9.

Tucantango

Juniors
When will the team be named?

D&E,

It should be named tomorrow! The junior Origin teams always seemed to be named no less than 10 days before the date.

I said last Monday, however I forgot Origin III wasn't until the 8th of July. For whatever reason I had it in my head that Origin III was being played this coming Wednesday.

Tucantango

Juniors
The team should have been named already. They're playing in 8 days!

LOL@D&G.

I couldn't agree with you more! Perhaps they will ring everyone on Sunday night with the question; "hey mate, you're not planning anything special for Wednesday night are you? How would you like a couple of free days in 'BrizVegas - Lozza's shout!

The fact that all the clubs have named the 'probable selections' to start this week obviously means that no-one has been contacted!

I am suspecting that the NSWRL U/20 selectors are having a dilemma with respect to selecting the back-line.

In saying that, after watching last week's NYC Roosters game you would now have to give Dufty the mod now. The Rooster's defence was not what you would call acceptable - even by 'Turnstile Cup' standards!

Last edited:
LOL@D&G.

I couldn't agree with you more! Perhaps they will ring everyone on Sunday night with the question; "hey mate, you're not planning anything special for Wednesday night are you? How would you like a couple of free days in 'BrizVegas - Lozza's shout!

The fact that all the clubs have named the 'probable selections' to start this week obviously means that no-one has been contacted!

I am suspecting that the NSWRL U/20 selectors are having a dilemma with respect to selecting the back-line.

In saying that, after watching last week's NYC Roosters game you would now have to give Dufty the mod now. The Rooster's defence was not what you would call acceptable - even by 'Turnstile Cup' standards!

The whole concept is becoming a joke, I mean we have players pulling out because the clubs wouldn't release them then the NRL having to put a rule in which stops players from playing f they've played more then 7 nrl games. Calling this under 20's SOO is just a disgrace, they need to call it something else if shit like this is going to happen. Another thing that was just laughable was the U18's in respect to Latrell Mitchell, he was omitted from the side due to speculation that he'll be making his NRL debut :lol:

Tucantango

Juniors
The whole concept is becoming a joke, I mean we have players pulling out because the clubs wouldn't release them then the NRL having to put a rule in which stops players from playing f they've played more then 7 nrl games. Calling this under 20's SOO is just a disgrace, they need to call it something else if shit like this is going to happen. Another thing that was just laughable was the U18's in respect to Latrell Mitchell, he was omitted from the side due to speculation that he'll be making his NRL debut :lol:

So true!

IMO the power should be taken from the clubs when it comes to selection! If the coach chooses them then they are obligated to play - and if they refuse sanctions with respect to future rep selection should be imposed!

Something similar used to occur in rugby union with respect to the islanders playing in Europe, particularly in England with cashed-up Aviva league clubs. Every time there was a 'World Cup' qualifier and the likes of Fiji, Samoa or Tonga sought the release of their stars playing in the UK to play in these games they were either not released or they had an injury (which they would miraculously be cured from just in time for the club game).

It all came to a head when the Manu Samoa team toured the UK over ten years ago and couldn't get one of their 10 first choice selections playing for 'English club' released. Eventually the IRB stepped in a made rules about 'automatic releases' for internationals when they were selected for representation. You're right mate; it's a farce when you can't put your best cattle on the paddock for an event that is supposed to be the pinnacle of junior representation (at least where Australia is concerned).

Last edited:
The following players have been selected for the 2015 NSW Under-20s State of Origin Team

1. Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)

2. Brian Kelly (Gold Coast)

3. John Olive (South Sydney)

4. Robert Jennings (Penrith)

5. Brent Naden (Penrith)

6. Jackson Hastings (Sydney Roosters)

7. Drew Hutchison (St George Illawarra)

8. Alex Twal (Parramatta)

9. Grant Garvey (Sydney Roosters)

10. Liam Knight (Manly)

11. Joe Stimson (Melbourne)

12. Tyrell Fuimaono (Parramatta)

13. Luke Yates (Newcastle)

14. Jacob Liddle (Wests Tigers)

15. Oliver Clarke (Penrith)

16. Addison Demetriou (Manly)

17. Hame Sele (St George Illawarra)

18. Matt Woods (Wests Tigers

So true!

IMO the power should be taken from the clubs when it comes to selection! If the coach chooses them then they are obligated to play - and if they refuse sanctions with respect to future rep selection should be imposed!

Something similar used to occur in rugby union with respect to the islanders playing in Europe, particularly in England with cashed-up Aviva league clubs. Every time there was a 'World Cup' qualifier and the likes of Fiji, Samoa or Tonga sought the release of their stars playing in the UK to play in these games they were either not released or they had an injury (which they would miraculously be cured from just in time for the club game).

It all came to a head when the Manu Samoa team toured the UK over ten years ago and couldn't get one of their 10 first choice selections playing for 'English club' released. Eventually the IRB stepped in a made rules about 'automatic releases' for internationals when they were selected for representation. You're right mate; it's a farce when you can't put your best cattle on the paddock for an event that is supposed to be the pinnacle of junior representation (at least where Australia is concerned).

completely agree and if they have an injury and have pull out then make it so that they have to sit out the next game for the club too. This will stop the clubs from mounting pressure on the players to pull out themselves.

It's such a shame we couldn't field a full powered side, it would end up being an absolute slaughter but at least it gives us a glimpse of the future and how combinations between certain players are.

Latest posts