What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

Delboy

First Grade
The NSW 6 and & were basically poor, no direction , missed tackles and were more or less passengers.

The forwards kept NSW in the game, when they got over the advantage line there was nothing from the halves, really disappointing.

ranga

Juniors
The NSW 6 and & were basically poor, no direction , missed tackles and were more or less passengers.

The forwards kept NSW in the game, when they got over the advantage line there was nothing from the halves, really disappointing.
i agree ,how Crook made the side is beyond me

JJ09

Juniors
i agree ,how Crook made the side is beyond me

Mate I don't know if you have something against the poor kid or you're a grumpy dad whos son didn't get picked, but Crook had a good game.
Got the forwards moving forward and over the advantage line, troubled the wingers with his bombs numerous times leading to drop balls and several trys, defended solidly, and also grubered through for Moses which almost led to a try. Stood up I thought and took control of the team better then Moses did.

The kid has talent and played very well. Also of the opinion of several sides who had thrown massive money at the kid to get him away from Illawarra.

Last edited:

drake40

Juniors
haaaaa must of been at wrong game you guys are jokin the problem was not enough tigers where picked a bit of envy in comments here sorry if we rolled over youre teams the unfashinable tigers minor prem premiers aust champs moses and cherro went well but politics again in team picking queensland used there head heaps of raiders picked two tigers ravkin funkai farrell at least should of been there as well come of it guys. get over being jealous.:roll:

fortae

Bench
Crook's general kicking game is more than I expected at this level (though had a dodgy dropout), the rest of his game solid including the stint at dummy half. Sounds like JJ09 watched the game, don't know about the others ...

Moses made a genius catch for his try, but the rest was up and down and really disappointing in defence but as I mentioned my main concern were just some obvious errors from the coach.

Milford from Canberra played well and defended ok given his size ... became obvious feed Timu and make metres. Outplayed Nikorima who I expected more from. Hadn't seen the hooker from Townsville before (Moseley), looked dangerous throughout and his service was good.

Scorcher

Juniors
The Balmain boys were very poor defensively, but I think the coach has to put his hand up not seeing the obvious problem up against Timu and switching a more capable defender in Crook to the left. Moses must have had over 10 missed or ineffective tackles and Cherrington wouldn't have been far behind. He was a passenger early in the second half when Qld rolled down field.

The coach has to also put his hand up for the use of Cartwright and shifting Crook into hooker in the second half ... NSW had already scored off two pinpoint bombs from Crook but in key sets late in the game he was doing the passing and finish to sets were terrible. Crook got one more chance to kick and he got it right again ... Kennar and Phillips just couldn't come up with it.

There were other strange things including the use of Chard only at the end of the game, when better players should have been on the field ... the amount of time Britt was on the bench too. Ball continually going to Moses on the left when Kennar looked the most dangerous player out wide. Gray blew a big chance not passing to his winger on the last tackle.

All those things meant a lot more than where players came from ...

The poor defense that i picked up was on the line and in the middle of the field, when they post the highlights you will see who defended poorly. Moses may bounce off a few but he always comes back and does complete some very good 1 on 1 tackles. Crook was ordinary at best yeah he ran around passing the ball and a couple of his bombs were OK due to poor defusing by QLD but he has nothing in attack and his kicks in general play were ordinary. Gray hasn't passed all year, I'm not sure if he is capable and Kennar was never going to link up so not much chance of one of the wingers getting the ball.

Ghipo

Juniors
Some very odrinary performers out there last night. If you pick 4 or 5 from the best team it gives you a chance, 2 from here there and every where makes it difficult. Lesson learned.

Lesson will never be learned, it happens every year and it will be the same next year. Selectors don't know how to pick teams and the coach usually doesn't have a clue about coaching.

How you play during SG Ball only has a small part to do with selection, basically they pick players who are playing NYC because they figure they must be the better players. Also having a high profile manager or father helps a great deal.

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
Lesson will never be learned, it happens every year and it will be the same next year. Selectors don't know how to pick teams and the coach usually doesn't have a clue about coaching.

How you play during SG Ball only has a small part to do with selection, basically they pick players who are playing NYC because they figure they must be the better players. Also having a high profile manager or father helps a great deal.
That is probably why this is the first time the NSW U18's has lost. Maybe on this occasion Qld played better.

If you are referring to Mitchell Moses being related to Benny and his brother being a manger you have it all wrong. He was the standout in SG Ball and no doubt the Tigers would not have had the year they did without him.

Wet weather also brings teams closer together and it was wet on the night. The boys played well but did have a couple of performances that were below their best. The hooker was poor and the centre bombed a try when he didn't pass. Because the hooker was poor they had to switch the 7 to hooker and this put the whole attack out of kilter.

Scorcher

Juniors
That is probably why this is the first time the NSW U18's has lost. Maybe on this occasion Qld played better.

If you are referring to Mitchell Moses being related to Benny and his brother being a manger you have it all wrong. He was the standout in SG Ball and no doubt the Tigers would not have had the year they did without him.

Wet weather also brings teams closer together and it was wet on the night. The boys played well but did have a couple of performances that were below their best. The hooker was poor and the centre bombed a try when he didn't pass. Because the hooker was poor they had to switch the 7 to hooker and this put the whole attack out of kilter.

I don't think the hooker was that bad, we were up 18-6 at half time. Poor line defence in the 2nd half and mistakes in our own half gifted them the game, the fill in fullback dropped a bomb and just wasn't there in defence.

Scorcher

Juniors
Thanx for those its just highlighted what a lot of people know Mitchell Moses can't tackle.

The tackle he missed for the try the inside player just didn't get there. If you are able to see Balmain's game against Manly where Fabian Goodal ran at him all game you would change your opinion. Had they picked the right players QLD would have scored 2 less tries. Chad McGill would have done much better than the poor defenders selected along with Solesi Funaki.

Scorcher

Juniors
Thanx for those its just highlighted what a lot of people know Mitchell Moses can't tackle.

Check all of the tries and see where the fullbacks were, 1 of them actually jumps out of the way for one of the tries instead of making the tackle!!. At least Mitchell puts his body on the line.

bboowwyy

Juniors
The tackle he missed for the try the inside player just didn't get there. If you are able to see Balmain's game against Manly where Fabian Goodal ran at him all game you would change your opinion. Had they picked the right players QLD would have scored 2 less tries. Chad McGill would have done much better than the poor defenders selected along with Solesi Funaki.

I photograph some of the games & was at the Manly vs Balmain game. Moses was really in a league of his own that night, fantastic game.
As he fills into his body i'm sure his tackling will become more effective. Of the games i've seen, he certainly doesn't try to shirk his defensive responsibilities.

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
I know you Balmain parents/supporters think we should pick the Balmain SG Ball team but you need to understand there are lots of good players around and they all can't get picked. Selesi didn't even make CHS because everyone knows his hands let him down and his discipline is poor.

The fullback got picked because at this point in time the selectors judged him as the best player in that position. If this is right or wrong it is opinion only. Scorcher, I've seen your son play and his defence needs to improve. I've seen 2 players run through him in his last few games. Against Townsville when the centre scored off the scrum and against John Falou in the NSWCCC trial. These are good players and they would run through most guys but when you have 17 of them it is tough.

Take the tip stop worrying about other players and worry about your own game. You can't control selections or other players ability and form. You can help your son work hard and achieve his goals. Concentrate on that otherwise you may regret this window of opportunity.