What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW V's SA

Y2Eel

First Grade
Test hopefuls get chance
06 December, 2010
It will be the game within a game that will arouse most interest as a host of Test hopefuls go at it over four days when NSW host South Australia in an intriguing Sheffield Shield encounter, starting Tuesday at the SCG.
Nine players – seven from the Blues and two Redbacks – have either been in the Test set-up or are knocking on the door as Australia's Ashes pain continues.
Quicks Mark Cameron (NSW), Trent Copeland (NSW) and Peter George (SA) will all be under scrutiny while Blues spinners Nathan Hauritz, Stephen O'Keefe and Steve Smith enjoy support in certain quarters and will be out to press their claims.
And with Australia's batting line-up either struggling for form or injured – or both – the likes of Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja and South Australia's Callum Ferguson must cash in with runs in Sydney before the third Test team is announced.
Copeland, who raced to 50 wickets after just eight first class games, is trying his best to keep Australian selection out of mind but feels he can do a job at the next level.
"First and foremost I want to play for NSW and do well there and if other stuff comes about then great," he said.
"(Good) performances for NSW bodes well for (national) selection."
"I haven't put a time limit on it, like (it's got to be) this summer or anything, but everyone wants to play for Australia."
"If I'm given the opportunity, I feel like I'm bowling well."
The 195cm Copeland has been compared to Glenn McGrath, both physically and for his line and length approach to bowling.
Asked what he would bring to the Australian attack if selected, the Blues quick responded: "I can use my height and hit the right spots, try and do a bit with the ball both ways and out-last the batsman."
"I try not to do anything too extravagant; it's just about keeping it simple and creating pressure."
Copeland's immediate concern is making sure he lands a spot in the in-form NSW XI.
Competition is extremely hot after a successful start to the season, which has the Blues out in front on the Shield table.
South Australia arrive in Sydney on the back of consecutive wins in the four-day and limited overs arena against Tasmania.
The Redbacks somehow conjured up a stunning outright win over the Tigers after being rolled for just 55 in the first innings of the Shield game.
They followed it up with a win in the Ryobi Cup, thanks largely to a Ferguson century.
The Shield win lifted SA off the bottom of the table and into fourth, eight points behind leaders NSW.
"It was a fantastic fight back and shows the spirit we have in our group," skipper Michael Klinger said.
"Going forward from here, we are confident we can keep building from that."
We talked about going into the Christmas break in the mix in all competitions and we're in a position to do that."

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-display/Test-hopefuls-get-chance/23057

Fingers crossed some of the hopefuls can get some runs/take some wickets..

Red Bear

Referee
Hughes
Jaques
Khawaja
Smith
Maddinson
Nevil
O'Keefe
Hauritz
Clark
Copeland
Cameron

Henriques

Would be my side from the squad thats been chosen. Im assuming O'Keefe and Moi Moi are fighting for a spot

aussies1st

Staff member
Henriques is no chance of making the Test side so for the good of Australian cricket he should be made 12th man.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
SOK wont get a game while Hauritz is there, they wont play 3 spinners.

I cant see them dropping Hauritz after his 5 wickets, SOK may as well go to another state if he wants to get into the Aussie team

The Joker

Juniors
I'd say if Hauritz picks up a few wickets in this match he'll be selected for Doherty for the third test. That'll open the door for SOK getting more games.

yappy

Bench
SOK 12th man Henriques playing = f**king joke. With Clark, Cameron and Copeland playing we really don't need a 4th seamer.

The Joker

Juniors
Cameron gets the early breakthrough getting rid of Moffat for a duck on debut. It was a cracker of a delivery too. Yorker that got through the defences

Y2Eel

First Grade
SOK 12th man Henriques playing = f**king joke. With Clark, Cameron and Copeland playing we really don't need a 4th seamer.

Steve O'Keefe in first class is averaging 51 with the bat and 25 with the ball after 10 games..

Moises Henriques is 29 with the bat and 33 with the ball after 19 games... He must be blowing the coach...

yappy

Bench
Steve O'Keefe in first class is averaging 51 with the bat and 25 with the ball after 10 games..

Moises Henriques is 29 with the bat and 33 with the ball after 19 games... He must be blowing the coach...

So Moises could be the left field pick for the 3rd test?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

we dont need 3 spinners, and you cant compare Henriques to SOK

Y2Eel

First Grade
we dont need 3 spinners, and you cant compare Henriques to SOK

Steve Smith isnt a spinner alot of people talk him up but i dont see anything from him at the moment, I cant believe he is getting calls to come into the test side to be honest..

aussies1st

Staff member
Khawaja is the only one that really stands out. The rest are around Smith level and Smith made runs in the Australian A game. The only other guy that made runs that is competing for a middle order spot is White.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Khawaja is the only one that really stands out. The rest are around Smith level and Smith made runs in the Australian A game. The only other guy that made runs that is competing for a middle order spot is White.

Thats why i would have I would Khawaja down at 6 then.. Smith can wait till the next series to take the 6 spot and Khawaja to move up the order

Last edited:

Latest posts