What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number 1 No.1.

A bit young to remember Kevin Dann or Mark Levy.

Andrew Leeds was solid and reliable in his one season here. Most old enough will remember his 50 metre goal after the siren to beat Balmain in 1992.

I always liked Flash. Too good to be a winger. His form in 2009/10 was exception. Its a shame he did his knee in 2011. Took a yard off his pace when he came back. I always thought back then if he hadn't injured his knee could he have gone up another level.

Wesser was the best I have seen here wearing number 1. His speed and his ability to break the line when nothing appeared to be happening was a thing of beauty to watch. He was often criticised for his line defence but in his peak I lost count the amount of times he ran down opposition players in broken play.
Most tries in a season for us,most tries by a Fullback in a premiership season and the most important record . Our greatest tryscorer to date.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Buzzard - I remember 1992 quite clearly. I was in a box with brother-in-law who was a die-hard Tiger supporter. Had a few dollars on the game and a few sherberts. MG and Blocker took a real set to one another and a few of the hits rocked the Eastern Stand. We weren't in the game from memory and when Leeds kicked the goal, the place erupted. Very fond memories and he became a fav immediately. Dined out on that victory for a long time.

As everyone has said, Rhys was a huge favourite, Jorgo was fun, even "Coote - there he is" was a laugh for a while.

Buzzard - I remember 1992 quite clearly. I was in a box with brother-in-law who was a die-hard Tiger supporter. Had a few dollars on the game and a few sherberts. MG and Blocker took a real set to one another and a few of the hits rocked the Eastern Stand. We weren't in the game from memory and when Leeds kicked the goal, the place erupted. Very fond memories and he became a fav immediately. Dined out on that victory for a long time.

Good memories.

Panfa

Juniors
Rhys wesser was the best fullback ive seen at penrith however i did rate greg barwick special mention for david greene

pandas

Juniors

As everyone has said, Rhys was a huge favourite, Jorgo was fun, even "Coote - there he is" was a laugh for a while.
I was devo when Coote left

TheFrog

Coach
Wesser had a GUN peak when our side was great but most of the time he was awful
Lost an alarming amount of speed seemingly overnight around 04-05. For some reason developed that little stutter at the start of his run and it cost him heaps of pace off the line. Must have been an injury because it never returned.

TheFrog

Coach
You say Xuereb, I think “Intercept Pass”. Not sure why, I can only assume he through one that broke my heart when I was a young tacker!
Least deserved premiership ring in the history of the game. Gus would not drop him for the GF but just didn't bring him on (or Ben Alexander either, but that was forced on him by Royce's performance).The poor bugger was never the same after the Bears final. Ended up in second division at St Marys for some years.

Last edited:
Not the best but who remembers Anthony Xuereb?

I do, he was dodgy under the bomb. Average player, but he wore the shirt with pride. A local I seem to recall. I think he finished off playing local park football at St Mary's or somewhere like that and then did some coaching.

Played a 2 games for Wests in 1992 too. Both shockers. One against us.
He came back here and played a dozen or so games over the next 2 years. Fullback, centre and a few games off the bench.
Always tried hard but he was shocking under the high ball.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Least deserved premiership ring in the history of the game. Gus would not drop him for the GF but just didn't bring him on (or Ben Alexander either, but that was forced on him by Royce's performance).The poor bugger was never the same after the Bears final. Ended up in second division at St Marys for some years.

Dreadful in the semi against Norths gifted them 2 tries with his mistakes. Thankfully Halligan's boot was off that day.

Wesser was the best I have seen here wearing number 1. His speed and his ability to break the line when nothing appeared to be happening was a thing of beauty to watch. He was often criticised for his line defence but in his peak I lost count the amount of times he ran down opposition players in broken play.

I remember the game in Round 3 in 2003 against the Roosters when he ran down a flying Ryan Cross twice, who looked certain to score. He also scored a hatrick of tries. That was an awesome game, where we won came from behind to win 23-22 and it was the catalyst for what transpired later that year.

There was another memorable try saver against Melbourne at home in 2005 where he tackled a player (Not sure who, Scott Hill perhaps?) as he was running in to score, and he was able to turn him around in the tackle and get him over the in-goal touch line without the ball being grounded. That was the only year where we were able to beat Melbourne twice I believe!

Latest posts