What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC 2011 Predictions

boxhead

First Grade
Who do you guys think will excel and worsen in the Toyota Cup next year?
With the NYC competition the way it is, we know anything can happen in every game with the superb attacking footy each team can potentially play, but what do you guys expect of next year's teams?

My main tip:
Eels NYC to finish in the top eight-they certainly can't get any worse than this season, however considering all their extremely young players now having had full years (most of the team were SG Ball players), the recruitment of stars like Marmin Barba, Paki Afu and Cameron Bruest, I believe they will do really well next year.

They also have two players who have been tipped as the next Greg Inglis and the next Israel Folau (Jacob Loko and Bill Tupou respectively), with the former (Loko) being named the most destructive player in the NYC at his best by many experts; according to reports from commentators and such, Loko single-handedly won the junior Origin team match (or the series? Can't remeber) for NSW.

What are your thoughts and tips for your NYC team?

Noa

First Grade
storm finished of the year very well. One of the youngest teams in 10 and will go close next year

roopy

Referee
Knights are looking pretty good.
Maipele Morseau from Melbourne has signed and guys like Ethan Cook, Josh Ailoami, Tyrone Roberts, Chad Redman, Will Smith, Dale Clacherty, Tyler Sullivan, Jake Finn, Api Pewhirangi, Chanel Mata'utia, Arron Fairweather will all back up next season, and the crop of forwards from Ball led by Jeremy Ma'a, Tye Alchin and Kory Barber look pretty impressive.

Team could line up

Morseau - australian schoolboy 2009 and top schoolboy in the country
Chanel Mata'utia
Will Smith
Dale Clacherty - NSW rep
Mitch Williams
Api Pewhirangi
Tyrone Roberts
Jake Finn - Australian schoolboy
Chad Redman - Australian schoolboy
Josh Ailoami - 3rd year of NYC
Herman
Means
Cook - schoolboy and junior kangaroo

Tyler Sullivan - NSW under 16s and played NYC at 16
Jeremy Ma'a (huge potential)
Tye Alchin - (grandson of Mad Mick and cousin of Jason)
Kori Barber

all but three of those guys have played NYC, and some like Cook, Roberts and Ailoami have two seasons behind them.

blackandwhite

Juniors
Our NYC team will potentially have 9 Australian Schoolboys. Don't know if that means anything but it can't hurt.

Junior Roqica 2008
Aaron Woods 2008
Jacob Miller 2009
Daniel Ahsin 2009
Matthew Groat 2009
Finau Faleula 2009
David Nufaluma 2010
James Tedesco 2010
Curtis Sironen (2011)

Throw in Ben Murdoch and few Wests SG Ball a couple of Keebra Parks and it shouldn't be too bad a season next year.

footynut1

Juniors
cowboys to be the force next year with alot of players returning for their 3rd season... backline will be the best in comp with all but tupou returning... i will call them the untouchables...

footynut1

Juniors
NQ Toyota Cowboys 2011
1 Alex Eisala
2 Wayne Ulugia
3 Moses Pangai
5 Kyle Feldt
6 Michael Parker Walshe
7 Michael Morgan
8 Calum Haywood
9 Jay Lobwein
10 Sam Hoare
11 Chris McLean
12 Jason Taumalolo
13 John Koko

14 Nathan Norford
15 Chris Grevsmuhl

lifesgood

Juniors
I think Parra will still struggle to make the top 8. May just slip in.

Souths and the Warriors will both struggle I think with experience. Souths especially are losing I think all players bar 2 or 3 from the 17 that played in the grand final. Dylan Farrel can also play 20's again but may find himself playing alot of first grade next year.

Warriors will struggle for experience, although are very capable of building around Carlos Tuimavave. They will still be there in the mix somewhere.

Cowboys have a very young side and alot of players repeating. Althought James Segeyaro will be a major loss. Players like Moses Pangai and Michael Morgan should dominate next year and will go very close. As well as monster Jason Taumalolo and young tough forward Chris Grevshmul. Their backline will be exactly the same except for Will Tupou. Should find themselves in the top 4 again.

The Tigers should be a top 4 side. With their whole starting pack apart from Matt Hyland backing up and signing of Jacob Miller and Ratu Tagive will help alot. Bring in Aaron Woods who only played 3 games this year and Matt Groat, their forward pack should be very hard to beat.

The Roosters and Bulldogs I think will be the teams that will struggle to replicate their seasons they have had this year. Roosters lose both their halves Brad Murray and Jacob Miller. They will struggle to find people to cover for them, and alot of their forward pack is to old.

The same with the Bulldogs, losing Martin Taupau, Sam Kasiano, Paki Afu, Steven Azzi, Lopeti Timani and Josh Jackson (not 100% sure if he is to old next year) Means they will almost have to re-design their forward pack. Add to that the losses of Nathan Massey and Ratu Tagive. I think they will have alot of work to do.

Not to sure about the ages of the Broncos players. But I do know the loss of Junior Kangaroos props Tariq Sims and Andrew Clayton and first grader Dunamis Lui they may struggle. Kurt Baptiste is a player who can play again next year as well Dale Copley. Two players who are very capable of big careers and should look for big years next year. Expect them to be in the 8.

As for other teams.

Canberra have a strong base with Nathan Massey, Sam Williams and Haydon Hodge. Should be in the 8.

Penrith I think will struggle again.

The Storm had a very young side this year and I think as well were affected by their first grade. Should definitly be a top 8 side, their form in the last 5 or 6 rounds this year showed they have the potenial. Expect a big year.

Knights have the likes of Josh Ailomai and Jake Finn still around as well as Tyrone Roberts. Always have the potential. Just never seem to fill it. May finished between 10th-7th.

Dragons lose alot of players, Dont think they will be very affective but do have the benefit of two Junior feeder districts that are usually strong. Could be a surprise package.

Haven't got alot of knowledge on the Titans, but think top 8 may be out of reach for them. But they are always the club who proves the odds wrong.

Manly still have Garry Riccardi and Will Hopoate and Magnus Stormquist still their, capable of top 8 finish.

boxhead

First Grade

Souths and the Warriors will both struggle I think with experience. Souths especially are losing I think all players bar 2 or 3 from the 17 that played in the grand final. Dylan Farrel can also play 20's again but may find himself playing alot of first grade next year.

Warriors will struggle for experience, although are very capable of building around Carlos Tuimavave. They will still be there in the mix somewhere.

Cowboys have a very young side and alot of players repeating. Althought James Segeyaro will be a major loss. Players like Moses Pangai and Michael Morgan should dominate next year and will go very close. As well as monster Jason Taumalolo and young tough forward Chris Grevshmul. Their backline will be exactly the same except for Will Tupou. Should find themselves in the top 4 again.

The Tigers should be a top 4 side. With their whole starting pack apart from Matt Hyland backing up and signing of Jacob Miller and Ratu Tagive will help alot. Bring in Aaron Woods who only played 3 games this year and Matt Groat, their forward pack should be very hard to beat.

The Roosters and Bulldogs I think will be the teams that will struggle to replicate their seasons they have had this year. Roosters lose both their halves Brad Murray and Jacob Miller. They will struggle to find people to cover for them, and alot of their forward pack is to old.

The same with the Bulldogs, losing Martin Taupau, Sam Kasiano, Paki Afu, Steven Azzi, Lopeti Timani and Josh Jackson (not 100% sure if he is to old next year) Means they will almost have to re-design their forward pack. Add to that the losses of Nathan Massey and Ratu Tagive. I think they will have alot of work to do.

Not to sure about the ages of the Broncos players. But I do know the loss of Junior Kangaroos props Tariq Sims and Andrew Clayton and first grader Dunamis Lui they may struggle. Kurt Baptiste is a player who can play again next year as well Dale Copley. Two players who are very capable of big careers and should look for big years next year. Expect them to be in the 8.

As for other teams.

Canberra have a strong base with Nathan Massey, Sam Williams and Haydon Hodge. Should be in the 8.

The Storm had a very young side this year and I think as well were affected by their first grade. Should definitly be a top 8 side, their form in the last 5 or 6 rounds this year showed they have the potenial. Expect a big year.

Knights have the likes of Josh Ailomai and Jake Finn still around as well as Tyrone Roberts. Always have the potential. Just never seem to fill it. May finished between 10th-7th.

Dragons lose alot of players, Dont think they will be very affective but do have the benefit of two Junior feeder districts that are usually strong. Could be a surprise package.

Haven't got alot of knowledge on the Titans, but think top 8 may be out of reach for them. But they are always the club who proves the odds wrong.

Manly still have Garry Riccardi and Will Hopoate and Magnus Stormquist still their, capable of top 8 finish.

That's exactly how I see Parramatta going mate, Eels NYC showed at times they could beat any team on their day.....and most of their losses were very close too; mind you, most of their players are very young as well.

With so many players either leaving or being too old for the Toyota Cup. We may struggle although we have to think positive.

2011 Vodafone Junior Warriors:

1. ???
2. Brandon Nixon
3. Joe Mua
4. Sosaia Feki
5. Omar Slaimankhel
6. Carlos Tuimavave
7. Zensei Inu
8. Lance Su'a-Poe
9. Henry Chan-Ting
10. Patrick Vaivai
11. Samiuela Lousi
12. Ben Henry - (C)
13. Sebastine Ikahihifo

14. James Te Pou
15. Simon Gibson
16. Kane Hannam
17. Fess Sopoaga

There is likely to be more or other players who are coming through the ranks.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Warriors will find some good replacements, don't worry about that.

The concern for them is finding the x-factor guys to replace Seluini/Johnson/Fish who were all outstanding throughout the year.

Awesome backrow though with Louisi, Henry and Ikahihifo.

footy1

Juniors
I think the top 4 will be made up of Wests Tigers, Canberra, North QLD Cowboys and Cronulla. This is what I think the best 17 for each side is:

Wests Tigers

1. David Nofoaluma
2. Ratu Tagive
3. Tim Simona
4. Limoni Kamuta
5. Faleula Finau
6. Jacob Miller
7. Liam Ayoub
8. Neil Begovich
9. Dean Parata
10. Aaron Woods (c)
11. Ben Murdoch
12. Joel Wisbey
13. Shaun Spence

14. Pat Politoni
15. Matthew Groat
16. Daniel Ahsin
17. Mason Talolua

What a side!! All across the park they look very strong. On paper, easily the best side IMO. The forward pack is massive, coupled with some very skillful backs and a very smart halves pairing, expect them to feature at the backend of the competition.

Newcastle Knights

1. Maipele Morseau
2. Chanel Mata'utia
3. Dale Clacherty
4. William Smith
5. Mitch Williams
6. Tyler Sullivan
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Josh Ailaomoi
9. Chad Redman
10. Jake Finn
11. Korbin Sims
12. Matthew Herman
13. Ethan Cook (c)

14. Rodney Mason
15. Carl Means
16. Kirran Shearer
17. Alai Taufaao

Very good side across the whole park. Plenty of depth with Api Pewhairangi, Kori Barber, Jeremy Ma'a, Jarrod Tua, Chris Knight and Brendan Simpson not featuring in the 17.

North QLD Cowboys

1. Alex Elisala
2. Wayne Ulugia
3. Moses Pangai
4. Kyle Feldt
5. Nathan Kepa
6. Michael Parker-Walshe
7. Michael Morgan
8. Callum Haywood
9. Jay Lobwein
10. Sam Haore
11. Chris McLean
12. Jason Taumalolo
13. Chris Grevsmuhl

14. Luke Abdul-Rahman
15. Dan Beasley
16. John Puna
17. Anthony Gadd

The Cowboys have plenty of players returning for another crack at the title next year. The backline is oustanding. They will win them many games next year and should have the same impact as they did this year, although they just might go all the top.

Cronulla Sharks

1. Stewart Mills
2. Joseph Rokoqo
3. Elih Baillie
4. Matthew Wright
5. Luke Pickerd
6. Albert Kelly
7. Chad Townsend (c)
8. Teni Waipouri
9. Cameron Rodgers
10. Rodney Moefaauo
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Tyrone Peachey
13. Duncan Reilly

14. Penani Manu
15. Joel Tubbs
16. DJ Lokeni-Purcell
17. Tyrone Viiga

This Cronulla side looks the goods to me. The have a remarkable backline with the likes of Kelly, Wright, Mills and Baillie featuring. The forwards are a decent pack and should cause a lot of upset wins.

D

Deleted member 10972

Roosters will struggle. The following players are all leaving/moving up:

Isaac Maliota - Newtown Jets (NSW Cup)
Tom Pelo - ACT Brumbies (RU)
Reece Jaegar - Rabbitohs NYC
Jerome Leolahi - Roosters FG
Sam Brunton - Newtown Jets (NSW Cup)
Ben Jones - Roosters FG
Brad Murray - Eels FG
Jacob Miller - Tigers NYC
Mark Kheirallah - Roosters FG
John Leiataua - Storm NYC
Anthony Gelling
Fine Moeakiola
Blake Williamson
Boyd Strickland
Hughie Stanley
Olireti Samuela
Brad Manton
Watson Namoa
Matt Hands

Also, we lost Jake Grace, Tufuga Sa, Ryan Williamson and JP Du Plessis mid-season.

That leaves:

3. Cheyse Blair
5. Asipeli Fine
6. Jack Littlejohn
11. Olomanu Usini
12. Ethan Lowe
13. Boyd Cordner

15. Lou Goodwin

Joseph Leilua will be eligible, I believe, but should probably spend most of his time in first grade.

franklin2323

Immortal
Penrith should make the 8. our juniors born 1989 and 1990 besides the ones to of player FG were rubbish.

Alex Melville is coaching so much better then Culnane.

Harry Seijka and Tia-Kilifi in Australian Schoolboys.

Moylan, Watene-Zeleniak, Pelisao, Both Eisenhuth's will all be better for the run this season

RHCP

Bench
Newcastle to make the Top Four. A very strong and experienced forward pack, plus some great depth which has already been pointed out.

Iafeta

Referee
Who do you guys think will excel and worsen in the Toyota Cup next year?
With the NYC competition the way it is, we know anything can happen in every game with the superb attacking footy each team can potentially play, but what do you guys expect of next year's teams?

My main tip:
Eels NYC to finish in the top eight-they certainly can't get any worse than this season, however considering all their extremely young players now having had full years (most of the team were SG Ball players), the recruitment of stars like Marmin Barba, Paki Afu and Cameron Bruest, I believe they will do really well next year.

They also have two players who have been tipped as the next Greg Inglis and the next Israel Folau (Jacob Loko and Bill Tupou respectively), with the former (Loko) being named the most destructive player in the NYC at his best by many experts; according to reports from commentators and such, Loko single-handedly won the junior Origin team match (or the series? Can't remeber) for NSW.

What are your thoughts and tips for your NYC team?

Seriously, is that the dudes name? Bill Tupou is a Warriors winger.

As for other teams.

The Warriors are suffering about the same turnover as most clubs. There's a fair few guys who played NYC this year who back up next year; probably our best forward over the back end of the year Sebastine Ikahihifo is one, Carlos Tuimavave for sure, Sam Lousi is back for another year (heh maybe he can grow some more), the centre Sosaia Feki is back, the winger Omar Slaimankhel is back, as is captain Ben Henry and Henry Chan-Ting. A number of other players who filled in and did credible jobs when asked are back also like Zensei Inu, Donald Tony (who I hear is Motu Tony's nephew) and Dan Palavi's younger brother John Palavi.

The big losses for mine are Shaun Johnson, Glen Fisiiahi and Nafe Seluini who could all break a game open when required.

lifesgood

Juniors
The Warriors are suffering about the same turnover as most clubs. There's a fair few guys who played NYC this year who back up next year; probably our best forward over the back end of the year Sebastine Ikahihifo is one, Carlos Tuimavave for sure, Sam Lousi is back for another year (heh maybe he can grow some more), the centre Sosaia Feki is back, the winger Omar Slaimankhel is back, as is captain Ben Henry and Henry Chan-Ting. A number of other players who filled in and did credible jobs when asked are back also like Zensei Inu, Donald Tony (who I hear is Motu Tony's nephew) and Dan Palavi's younger brother John Palavi.

The big losses for mine are Shaun Johnson, Glen Fisiiahi and Nafe Seluini who could all break a game open when required.

I definitly agree with you, I mean that they will Lack experience in the likes of Johnson, Fisiiahi, Seluini and as well Elijah Taylor, although they did do well without him for alot of the year.

They will definitly be another contender, but not to sure to what extent without Shaun Johnson. In my eyes Seluini was the major factor to them winning the competition this year, he will definitly be missed.

chefman21

Juniors
Roosters will struggle. The following players are all leaving/moving up:

Isaac Maliota - Newtown Jets (NSW Cup)
Tom Pelo - ACT Brumbies (RU)
Reece Jaegar - Rabbitohs NYC
Jerome Leolahi - Roosters FG
Sam Brunton - Newtown Jets (NSW Cup)
Ben Jones - Roosters FG
Brad Murray - Eels FG
Jacob Miller - Tigers NYC
Mark Kheirallah - Roosters FG
John Leiataua - Storm NYC
Anthony Gelling
Fine Moeakiola
Blake Williamson
Boyd Strickland
Hughie Stanley
Olireti Samuela
Brad Manton
Watson Namoa
Matt Hands

Also, we lost Jake Grace, Tufuga Sa, Ryan Williamson and JP Du Plessis mid-season.

That leaves:

3. Cheyse Blair
5. Asipeli Fine
6. Jack Littlejohn
11. Olomanu Usini
12. Ethan Lowe
13. Boyd Cordner

15. Lou Goodwin

Joseph Leilua will be eligible, I believe, but should probably spend most of his time in first grade.
A nice clean slate for POS to fill....

Latest posts