What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC Players to progress to NRL in 2012

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
I made the same thread about this time last year for 2011 and was pretty cool to keep an eye out for these players, a lot of the players tipped turned out to be pretty accurate so to follow on who are the players ready to make their mark in the NRL in 2012 from the NYC?

From the Knights with so many players leaving I would expect to see a few debuts next year, Ethan Cook looks good.

Didgi

Ulugia and possibly Feldt from our backline, either Parker-Walshe or Morgan as well around Origin time.

Taumalolo will see first grade (still eligible for another 2 years of NYC), the rest of our forwards are still fairly young and we'd be looking elsewhere for depth there.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
For the Roosters Moga will definitely finish the season as starting Centre.. I expect Evans, Lowe, Alofa Alofa and possibly Blair and Dumbrell to get some game time.

Noa

First Grade
Mines almost the same as last years, lol,

Tohu Harris, Kenny Bromwich, Mahe Fonua & Ben Hampton will join the senior squad however I think only Tohu and Kenny will play first grade. I suppose Hampton is a chance over SOO period but I wouldnt be suprised if McGahan got the call up instead.

Fonua was close this year but some serious defensive laspes highlighted what he had to work on.

Forgot about Slade Griffen who will join the 1st team, should get a game at some stage.

Last edited:

MacDougall

First Grade
Curtis Sironen
James Tedesco
Neil Begovich
Marika Koroibete
Taqele Naiyavaoro
David Noafaluma

In order of most to least likely. Didn't include those who already have played first grade.

D

Deleted member 10972

With two regular first grade outside backs in Kane Linnett and Phil Graham departing (and reserve backs Steve Naughton and Rhys Pritchard likely to be released), incoming Peni Tagive should be competing with NYC speedsters Tautau Moga and Cheyse Blair for spots in first grade.

Alofa Alofa, Usaia O'Sullivan, Chris Taripo are all talented players, but I don't think they are ready for first grade yet. Moga and Blair on the other hand look more than ready.

As for forwards, the two that look by far the most likely are prop Kane Evans and backrower Ethan Lowe. Evans will most likely be behind Masoe, Ryles, Tasi, Hargreaves and Kennedy, but might get a few look-ins. Ethan Lowe is also behind a fair few backrowers, and his opportunities will depend on whether currently off-contract backrowers Aiden Guerra and Tinirau Arona stay on for another year.

cb4

First Grade
Tyrone Peachey
Tyson Frizell
Chad Townsend
Rodney Coates
Dylan Hill
Stewart Mills
Luke Pickard
Callum Tahtua

Jebediah

Juniors
With two regular first grade outside backs in Kane Linnett and Phil Graham departing (and reserve backs Steve Naughton and Rhys Pritchard likely to be released), incoming Peni Tagive should be competing with NYC speedsters Tautau Moga and Cheyse Blair for spots in first grade.

Alofa Alofa, Usaia O'Sullivan, Chris Taripo are all talented players, but I don't think they are ready for first grade yet. Moga and Blair on the other hand look more than ready.

As for forwards, the two that look by far the most likely are prop Kane Evans and backrower Ethan Lowe. Evans will most likely be behind Masoe, Ryles, Tasi, Hargreaves and Kennedy, but might get a few look-ins. Ethan Lowe is also behind a fair few backrowers, and his opportunities will depend on whether currently off-contract backrowers Aiden Guerra and Tinirau Arona stay on for another year.

Agree with everything although Guerra is contracted for 2012.

Omar Slaimankhel - Speed demon with a lot of skill and has a very bright future ahead of him. If he makes his first-grade debut, he will be the first Pakistani to play in the NRL.

Konrad Hurrell - Powerful player who can slot in the centres and play on the wing, who loves to eat up the metres and brush players aside. All he needs to do is work on his defence.

Samiuela Lousi - Towering second rower who can play prop, second row and centre. A monster with the ball in hand who stands at 198cm tall and weighs 118kg. He is the younger brother of Sione Lousi.

Carlos Tuimavave - Skillful five-eighth who reads the game very well and has a very solid kicking game. If he doesn't play for the Warriors next year, he will be playing for the Vulcans.

Ben Henry - I don't know if he is still playing in the Toyota Cup. Although, every Warriors fan must know what this kid is capable of. Fast, skillful and plays above his weight.

That's about it. Although, i can see players like Sosaia Feki, Henry Chan-Ting, Sebastine Ikahihifo, John Palavi and possibly Donald Tony either playing for the Vulcans or being picked up by other clubs.

shasha

Juniors
What alot of people don't realise is that a successful team from the toyota cup will only see 4 or 5 players play first grade. If their is anymore, that team should win the 20's competition by a country mile!!

Most teams will be lucky to have 3 go on and play first grade.

The tigers are the only team I can think of with a number of first graders in their side. Tim Simona, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Jacob Miller, Matt Groat and Aaron Woods.

Otherwise you won't see many more then that, unless they kick on in a couple of years time.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane have Dane Gagai, Dale Copley, Corey Norman and Kurt Baptiste with Jordan Kahu, Aaron Whitchurch and Mitch Frei bolstering the senior squad.

From what I've heard, Lachlan Maranta will be graduating into the senior squad next season with a few others likely to join him.

Out of all of them though, I see Frei being the best chance to make his first grade debut.

RWB

Bench
What alot of people don't realise is that a successful team from the toyota cup will only see 4 or 5 players play first grade. If their is anymore, that team should win the 20's competition by a country mile!!

The tigers are the only team I can think of with a number of first graders in their side. Tim Simona, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Jacob Miller, Matt Groat and Aaron Woods.

Otherwise you won't see many more then that, unless they kick on in a couple of years time.

More than 3 usually go on to play first grade. In fact you'd struggle to find sides where only 3 or less go on to play first grade.

Roosters Under 20's were always down the bottom of the table yet of the top of my head had;

Antonio Winterstein
Sandor Earl
Ben Jones
James Tamour
Mose Masoe
Martin Kennedy
Jake Friend
Anthony Cherrington
Rohan Ahern
David Hala
Tom Symonds

I can't speak for other clubs because I'd have to do a lot more research but I'd be very surprised if it isn't a similar story for them.

footynut1

Juniors

the thing is that the age usually is from about 17-20 so some may take a little longer to play grade, for example have a look at this team from 2009 and by no means did this team pump everyone.

Brisbane Broncos
1. Dane Gagai
2. Chris Minehan
3. Joel Koina
4. Dale Copely
5. Tyson Brookes
6. Corey Norman
7. Rhys Matesen
8. Tyson Andrews
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jacob Samoa
13. Guy Ford (c)

14. Chris Cook
15. David Hala
16. Kurtis Lingwoodock
17. James Ackerman
18. Josh Coyle

Didgi

That Roosters side is the exception, not the rule.

Though from the 2008 GF, this is a rough count off the top of my head:
Canberra - 8 to play 1st grade
Brisbane - 10

09 GF
Storm - 7
Tigers - 5

shasha

Juniors
More than 3 usually go on to play first grade. In fact you'd struggle to find sides where only 3 or less go on to play first grade.

Roosters Under 20's were always down the bottom of the table yet of the top of my head had;

Antonio Winterstein
Sandor Earl
Ben Jones
James Tamour
Mose Masoe
Martin Kennedy
Jake Friend
Anthony Cherrington
Rohan Ahern
David Hala
Tom Symonds

I can't speak for other clubs because I'd have to do a lot more research but I'd be very surprised if it isn't a similar story for them.

What else i did say was kick on in a couple of years time.. I dont think all of them players played first grade coming in to one season coming from one 20's side either. Winterstein and Tamou both had to move on to become consistent first graders, same as David Hala.

I could list a whole bunch of players from one club playing first grade as well that have played twenties.

RWB

Bench
What else i did say was kick on in a couple of years time.. I dont think all of them players played first grade coming in to one season coming from one 20's side either. Winterstein and Tamou both had to move on to become consistent first graders, same as David Hala.

I could list a whole bunch of players from one club playing first grade as well that have played twenties.

A couple plus 3 doesn't = 11.

I realise that the thread is talking about the immediate year following but your post sounded like it meant from the team in all seasons following. I Retract my statement if I misunderstood.

billy2

Juniors
Josh Ailoami from the Knights has a Roosters contract and Smith will have him in firstgrade from round one barring injuries.

Rodney Mason from the Knights (Willie's brother) is good enough if anyone can get him to make the effort. Love to see him go to Melbourne. He'd be the equal of Willie within a year if someone flogged him into shape.

Tyler Sullivan, Will Smith, Chanel Mata'utia, Api Pewhairangi, Chad Redman and Alex McMillian will all be in the Knights NYC squad next season, but i expect they will all train with firstgrade and all be a chance of playing during the year.

Ethan Cook, Tyrone Roberts and Jarrod Tua should get a spot in the Knights seniors.

MatthewA

Juniors
Dale Finucane, Josh Jackson and Tim Lafai have all signed long term first grade deals with the club. All for 3 years starting in 2012 I believe.

I expect Finucane to be in the 17 from round 1 next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Vaipuna Tia-Kilifi will play 1st grade next year barring injury.

Siejka, Moylan, Austin, Watene-Zeleniak, Pelasio, Horton and Grace all have deals with the club and except for Siejka are too old for NYC so should train fulltime over the Off-season

Latest posts