What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

siv

First Grade
I think all the stated reasons are valid but I don't think its leading to the right result.
It has been a goal for a long time to have a National Reserve Comp alongside the NYC. This is just conceding defeat to the QRL.
Id like to see a national comp at reserve and 20s level all playing the same draw on game day. 20s play first, then reserves. 20s who don't make it to national reserves go to NSW/QLD Cup to develop.
Money shouldn't be an excuse with a lot more money in the game. Next deal we should be demanding an NRL channel and all fox NRL games should have the fox crew their to get the lower grades and air throughout the week. Maybe try and get nine to do the Friday games as well and air on FTA on sat and sun morning. Game of the week for NSW and QLD Cup and you have 24 games to broadcast a week.

Totally agree its the only way forward

It won't impact QLD Cup

It impacts NSW Cup as it really a glorified RG

But then RM Cup and leftover NSW Cup merge and you add NSW Regional teams just like the QLD Cup did

maple_69

Bench
Throw some interstate and Pacific island teams at them for development and you're cooking.

kbw

Bench
Thank goodness its going to come to an end. Its all egos and missed tackles.
The University idea would struggle I think as a lot are more aligned with Union not to mention it would not work like the US system as too many footballers are not smart enough.

There just needs to be a proper NRL reserve grade.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The University idea would struggle I think as a lot are more aligned with Union not to mention it would not work like the US system as too many footballers are not smart enough.

There just needs to be a proper NRL reserve grade

It would just be...

- so expensive
- so limiting
- so unnecessary.

siv

First Grade
It would just be...

- so expensive
- so limiting
- so unnecessary.

Disagree

Warriors fly U20 and RG teams
Melbourne fly RG, U20, U18, U16 teams
Perth fly U18 teams
Qld teams fly distances for U20s and QLD Cup
Everyone else flies to the venues today

By having National RG that solves the issue that Newtown, Norths, Wests, Wenty, Wyong have of NRL players playing and sets a level playing field

I would have as a condition to be able to play NRL that you are able to fund 3 grades in a national competition

If you can't you play State Cups

If you can't fund at State Cup level you in District competition's

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
So what's the go in 2015

Is it still at national level

Or have we reverted back to state based U20s comp?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Disagree

Warriors fly U20 and RG teams
Melbourne fly RG, U20, U18, U16 teams
Perth fly U18 teams
Qld teams fly distances for U20s and QLD Cup
Everyone else flies to the venues today

By having National RG that solves the issue that Newtown, Norths, Wests, Wenty, Wyong have of NRL players playing and sets a level playing field

I would have as a condition to be able to play NRL that you are able to fund 3 grades in a national competition

If you can't you play State Cups

If you can't fund at State Cup level you in District competition's

Think about it from the POV of clubs that dont have NRL teams to fund their travel...

With only State wide travel to fund, we could have independent teams like Wyong placed all across country NSW and QLD. Or suburban team right through Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne.

Keeping it relatively local makes more teams viable, and uniting them all in an end of season gives these competitions a prestege that a standard local first grade wont have.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wyong are no longer independent though, they're the feeder for the Roosters aren't they?

Kind of my point....

As it is now, its way too expensive for teams to exist independent of NRL Clubs, but independent teams are the future of grassroots football.

I want to see State Cup teams all though country NSW and Qld, and in suburban Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide. Independent teams that can represent communities that will never have an NRL team.

It would be such a great look for the game as well; semi-professional players representing their community and their local club, but potentially seen by the whole nation...

GongPanther

Referee
They are right about one thing- the gap between Under 20s and 1st grade is immense, and State Cup competitions are in the middle. Why this wasn't envisioned is anyone's guess. Maybe an Under 23 grade like they used to have would help. Some players are not ready for first grade by their 21st birthday.

I hope we see NSW/Qld Cup restored to its curtain raiser status, as this grade is much closer to first grade, and where the vast majority of injury, etc vacancies will be covered from.

Here-here Froggy.

And I think they should have gone even further by re-introducing the under 23's.

That would be an easier transitional road for younger players to smoothly flow into the reserve grade comp like it was years ago.

t-ba

Post Whore
Good. Shit concept that's done nothing for player development.

There just needs to be a proper NRL reserve grade.

A lack of intelligence has never stopped any American athlete from attending college...

Joker's Wild

Coach
Totally agree its the only way forward

It won't impact QLD Cup

It impacts NSW Cup as it really a glorified RG

But then RM Cup and leftover NSW Cup merge and you add NSW Regional teams just like the QLD Cup did

How exactly does it not impact the Qld Cup? A Cowboys, Broncos, Titans and to an extent Melbourne RG side would remove nearly 60 players out of the comp

siv

First Grade
Only 4-6 play today per team

The rest of the 60 would come from U20s

Or by making FG bench players play 40 min in RG

No more 18th or 19th men

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Good. Shit concept that's done nothing for player development.

A lack of intelligence has never stopped any American athlete from attending college...

Exactly, most American athletes attend college on an athletic scholarship and they usually major in communications which is as much of a bogus degree as the arts degree is here (no offence to anyone who did that).

Titanic

First Grade
I recently had a Chinese intern working for me who got a sporting scholarship (volleyball) to the University of Chicago (UC Campus) which is no mean feat in itself. Now he's gone back and become an air traffic controller. He was a bright kid and didn't have a manager but did it all himself including highlights tapes etc.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Only 4-6 play today per team

The rest of the 60 would come from U20s

Or by making FG bench players play 40 min in RG

No more 18th or 19th men

There is absolutely no way any club will let FG bench players play RG before a FG match. None

Yes, youre right that U20s would supply some of those 60+ players but to suggest that a RG side would be 11-13 U20s players is blowing it out a bit. At best it would be 50/50 meaning 30 Qld Cup players, the best 30 players mind you, would be ripped from the comp

If that doesnt have a big impact on the quality of that competition then Im not here

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I never understood the reason the u21's was pushed in the first place. You can't play first grade under 18. Only a few have ever played under 18. Most are not up to standard at 21. By 23 they have filled out a bit and can handle the top grade more.

Pisses me off that Manly got forced out of the Sunshine Coast into the NSW Cup comp. They had a good thing sending quality u21's to play in a semi reserve grade quality competition. Players who did moved onto first grade.

I get that there needs to be pathways to the NRL for NSW locals, however the QLD team proved this year that their state competition is probably stronger (at least on par) after taking out the final of each winner. NSWRL have done bugger all to strengthen the competition in years.

Latest posts