What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

It's almost a guarantee that any changes or if a new national reserve grade competition is created, a draft will be implemented.

Yeah righto mate, and Rupert Murdoch will be inviting Dave Smith over for Christmas Dinner.

The players association are dead set against the draft. Whilst they and the players oppose it the NRL has 0% chance of successfully introducing one. The AFL only have one as it is part of their collective bargaining agreement to not challenge it in court, which if anyone took that to court, would see their draft thrown out straight away.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeah righto mate, and Rupert Murdoch will be inviting Dave Smith over for Christmas Dinner.

The players association are dead set against the draft. Whilst they and the players oppose it the NRL has 0% chance of successfully introducing one. The AFL only have one as it is part of their collective bargaining agreement to not challenge it in court, which if anyone took that to court, would see their draft thrown out straight away.

The AFL also don't have the junior systems that the NRL has.

kbw

Bench
The AFL also don't have the junior systems that the NRL has.

No they have better.
They poor millions of dollars more into their junior development from the very young to the park footballer.
Unfortunately they leave the NRL behind even in NSW

Clifferd

Coach
No they have better.
They poor millions of dollars more into their junior development from the very young to the park footballer.

Great facts to back that up

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Any more news on this? There was supposedly a meeting last Thursday on this and other issues but haven't heard a peep since

No they have better.

I think what Thorsen may have been getting at is that the AFL is different from the NRL's hence why the comparison was flawed.

LJC

Juniors
It's almost a guarantee that any changes or if a new national reserve grade competition is created, a draft will be implemented.

I'd be cautious that a national RG comp will flop, similar to the ARC. I'd like to see the NSW (with a NZ team or two invited to the competition. Fiji would be cool too) and QLd Cups strengthened. Also don't think it would cost too much start up costs for a WA team to be invited into one of those competitions.

I'd be happy if it were an Under22s or 23s age setting. That would alleviate a lot age related anxiety and transition issues.

Jtm22

Juniors
My idea would be an all age comp with all 16 teams in it, but using local clubs instead of their own names. Example, Warriors use something like Wellington, Melbourne use North west wolves, etc. bring the local comps the attention it deserves.

Last Week

Bench
My idea would be an all age comp with all 16 teams in it, but using local clubs instead of their own names. Example, Warriors use something like Wellington, Melbourne use North west wolves, etc. bring the local comps the attention it deserves.

By putting a level of competition above said local comps? No thanks.

I've come to the opinion that strengthening and expanding our state comps is the way to go. But it needs to be done in a way that maximises the developing of talent from areas that are currently unrepresented and presumably the talent there isn't as easily recognisable.

My only concerns for the scrapping of the NYC is that it's done a lot of New Zealand in getting talent from Union. It's a faster path to professional sport for them, which is a big appeal. Similar could be said of the talent there in Australia. It streamlines them. Spotlighting more of our talent.

Also, NYC matches have been known to out rate Super Rugby, AFL and A League matches.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
By putting a level of competition above said local comps? No thanks.

I've come to the opinion that strengthening and expanding our state comps is the way to go. But it needs to be done in a way that maximises the developing of talent from areas that are currently unrepresented and presumably the talent there isn't as easily recognisable.

My only concerns for the scrapping of the NYC is that it's done a lot of New Zealand in getting talent from Union. It's a faster path to professional sport for them, which is a big appeal. Similar could be said of the talent there in Australia. It streamlines them. Spotlighting more of our talent.

Also, NYC matches have been known to out rate Super Rugby, AFL and A League matches.

There isnt anthing preventing the State leagues from reaching the same level of semi-professionalism as the NCY...

Its just that no one has ever tried, they are only really thought of as feeder comps.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think some form of national under age competition is important for professional development and also prestige. First though i would introduce a state based u20 cup to run in parallel to the SG ball, HM cups and qld equivalent. Starting in february with 9 games and finals, Culminating in a championship game as the u16 and u18s do now in may. This will tie in well with the timing of the nrl rep window during which there should be u20 origin and then a u20 international a week later. The aim of the state based competition should be to capture as many playing centres as possible, so there needs to be an integration of the CRL pathways into HM and SG ball cup in nsw- newy, central coast, illawarra and canberra have a presence already but sides based around the current CRL divisions is neccessary, so that would be East coast dolphins (groups 1, 2 and 3), northern tigers (groups 4, 19 and 21), western rams (groups 10 and 11), southern redbacks(group 6,7 and 16) and bidgee bulls (groups 9 and 20). All 5 sides would be funded by grants from the ARLC distributed by the CRL.

After the rep window i would then begin the NYC with NRL branding but in a different format to now. 2 groups of 8 teams with 4 sydney and 4 interstate teams in each group to maintain travel fairness, the groups would be drawn randomly each year using these rules. 14 home and away games thrn semi finals and the GF before the state championship on nrl gf day. The age restrictrion would be lifted to u23 to remove the age pressure on the young folk in the system and keep players in the pro pathway longer therefore enhancing the depth of the player pool over time.

siv

First Grade
Id be happy with National RG National U23s and U20s revert to junior format

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Id be happy with National RG National U23s and U20s revert to junior format

Isn't the whole point of scrapping the NYC due to travel costs? Just allow QLD to do what they want with their juniors and for the NSWRL competitions just have the Ron Massey cup run alongside the NSW cup.

Last Week

Bench
Isn't the whole point of scrapping the NYC due to travel costs? Just allow QLD to do what they want with their juniors and for the NSWRL competitions just have the Ron Massey cup run alongside the NSW cup.

I thought it was so that NRL clubs won't have to fund any side other than their first grade side.

boonboon

Juniors
I am guessing this was confirmed today with the new TV deal where they mentioned NSW Cup & QLD Cup but no mention of Holden Cup

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I am guessing this was confirmed today with the new TV deal where they mentioned NSW Cup & QLD Cup but no mention of Holden Cup

Yeah i think your right. Hopefully the richo plan is out early in the new year god kniws enough people are waiting for it