What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

nqcowboy87

Bench
well the first stage has happened with storm relocating their holden cup exclusively to the sunshine coast. i reckon the under 20's is perfect for a state based comp, similiar to the old jersey flegg comp

jim_57

Staff member
I quite like the idea of a remodel to two State based Under 20's leagues with NRL club links. Basically Under 20's QLD and NSW Cups I guess you would say.

QLD
Cairns
Townsville
Mackay
CQ
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane x 3/4
Gold Coast x 2
Darwin
PNG x 1/2

NSW
Newcastle
Central Coast
Sydney x 6
Illawarra
NZ x 2
Fiji
Perth
Melbourne

That's just off the top of my head but looks pretty good to me as a goal. Might have to start off a bit more low key though.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If they do go state based competitions will the queensland squads just field u2p squads in the existing FOGS colts comp? So you would have the broncos u20's playing redcliffe, burleigh etc..... or would there be some sort of new hybrid competition or even a third option where the queensland NRL clubs font have a branded u20 side and use the whole competition as a feeder?

jim_57

Staff member
If they do go state based competitions will the queensland squads just field u2p squads in the existing FOGS colts comp? So you would have the broncos u20's playing redcliffe, burleigh etc..... or would there be some sort of new hybrid competition or even a third option where the queensland NRL clubs font have a branded u20 side and use the whole competition as a feeder?

I like the 3rd option to be honest, maybe use existing Q Cup sides where possible. Not just QLD clubs though, if other NRL teams want to invest in a partnership with a particular area then that would be ideal. Maybe even to create an equal spread limit each NRL club to links with 3 state Under 20's teams:

Cairns, Townsville, Mackay - Cowboys
2 Brisbane, Toowoomba - Broncos
2 Gold Coast/Tweed - Titabears
1 Brisbane, Ipswich - Brisbane 2
Sunshine Coast - Storm (existing link)

CQ, PNG, Darwin + any others up for grabs to any NRL club. Just an example but I think something like that could work. Then a similar set up in NSW with possible teams in Melbourne, Perth, Fiji, NZ etc.

Last edited:
SHANE Richardson was paid $700,000 by former NRL CEO Dave Smith to be the Head of Strategy and set up reforms for the competition and a State of Origin schedule. His strongest recommendation was to scrap the Holden Cup under-20s competition. Sydney-based NRL clubs, headed by Phil Gould at Penrith, are now picking his recommendations apart and will insist Holden Cup stays.
this HTML class. Value is http://www.dailytele

johnny plath

Juniors
SHANE Richardson was paid $700,000 by former NRL CEO Dave Smith to be the Head of Strategy and set up reforms for the competition and a State of Origin schedule. His strongest recommendation was to scrap the Holden Cup under-20s competition. Sydney-based NRL clubs, headed by Phil Gould at Penrith, are now picking his recommendations apart and will insist Holden Cup stays.
this HTML class. Value is http://www.dailytele

is that the right link, cant open that can you post the article,, cheers

siv

First Grade
Rumours of U20s reverting back to being a 12 team NSW based competition with NRL clubs and Auckland

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Awesome. ..what do the 3 qld teams and melbourne do. ...play each other 8 times. ..dumb shit
Revert to the FOGS competition with their respective ISC feeder clubs? It's already the state's U20 comp. Makes sense...

johnny plath

Juniors
Revert to the FOGS competition with their respective ISC feeder clubs? It's already the state's U20 comp. Makes sense...
Except that the playing talent will be diluted..4 nrl clubs players spread around 16 qld state clubs..the competition will be nowhere near the strength of the nsw equivalent so development will suffer. The nsw comp will be strong with all being nrl clubs and systems but i think the qld version is going to be pretty mediocre

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Except that the playing talent will be diluted..4 nrl clubs players spread around 16 qld state clubs..the competition will be nowhere near the strength of the nsw equivalent so development will suffer. The nsw comp will be strong with all being nrl clubs and systems but i think the qld version is going to be pretty mediocre

Its all been handled and communicated very poorly. I still don't understand the intention of the proposed and scrapped platinum league. On the youth competition, it is very skewed towards NSW as it has the most NRL pathways which against highlights the sheer lunacy of not expanding the competition to give more areas outside of Sydney NRL pathways

If they were not going to have major change and rationalisation below NRL level to accommodate other areas then they really should have a rookie entry draft so 9 suburban Sydney clubs cannot hog players from pathways outside their service area.

Best I can see for queensland is some sort of compromise between the NRL u20 sides and the Qld colts. MIght look something like below, playing 21 H&A games then finals and a national cup game.

1, PNG hunters U20
2, Broncos U20
3, Titans U20
4, North Qld U20
5, Melbourne U20
6, Ipswich-Toowoomba academy U20
7, Central Qld academy U20
8, South-East Qld academy U20- composite side for the best of the rest from Brisbane metro and SEQ. Eventually replaced by NRL branding if/when a second NRL side is added in Brisbane.

There could then potentially be a "second division" U20 comp run in parallel, largely based in SE qld I would guess which would look more like the current FOGS colts.

I would like to see the QLD and NSW competitions branded NYC south and NYC north tto maintain NRL related branding and goverened separately from the state bodies.

siv

First Grade

But thats what the QRL wants

Just like NSW-CRL doesnt want to work the NSWRL for a truely statebased competition

johnny plath

Juniors
But thats what the QRL wants

Just like NSW-CRL doesnt want to work the NSWRL for a truely statebased competition
Not sure about that. ..everything I've seen had been the nrl clubs (read nsw clubs imo)dont want the travel expense of a national comp. A nsw based 20s is a great comp for them but the qrl one not so good. ..still big travel costs, weaker comp. Seems a centric view that suits nswrl and nsw nrl clubs.

siv

First Grade
So why do they let Auckland, Fiji, Wellington and Christchurch play in a NSW comp if travel costs are a problem

Sorry dont buy that argument

They have run FG RG U23s U21s U19s U17s U15s in the past for much less money than they have today

NRL Clubs now get $7 mil and will be getting $14 mil by 2021 - on top of their other revenue streams

They can afford 3 national grades

And if we were truely worried about costs clubs like Norths shouldnt be flying into NZ

johnny plath

Juniors
So why do they let Auckland, Fiji, Wellington and Christchurch play in a NSW comp if travel costs are a problem

Sorry dont buy that argument

They have run FG RG U23s U21s U19s U17s U15s in the past for much less money than they have today

NRL Clubs now get $7 mil and will be getting $14 mil by 2021 - on top of their other revenue streams

They can afford 3 national grades

And if we were truely worried about costs clubs like Norths shouldnt be flying into NZ
Whether you're buying it or not doesnt matter. . thats the reason given for scrapping national 20s and making them state based. .as for Fiji wellington Christchurch Auckland etc etc...hasn't happened yet and they aren't part of what's being proposed for u20s

siv

First Grade
Victoria fly their U18s and U16s to Queensland

Melbourne do the same with all of their juniors

johnny plath

Juniors
Victoria fly their U18s and U16s to Queensland

Melbourne do the same with all of their juniors
What junior's do melbourne fly up. ..there u20s are permanently based on the sunshine coast and play all of there home games there. .the 16 and 18s travel for 4 games in the state league and the qld 16 state comp is probably set to be scraped next year as well.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What junior's do melbourne fly up. ..there u20s are permanently based on the sunshine coast and play all of there home games there. .the 16 and 18s travel for 4 games in the state league and the qld 16 state comp is probably set to be scraped next year as well.

Why are they scrapping the U16 comp? Seems like a pretty balanced format that they ran with in 2016

Why does rugby league enjoy scrapping competitions so regularly?

Latest posts