What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ ANZAC Test Team predictions

Panther_Daz

Staff member
About a month away from the Test now. Hopefully the RTS, Foran, Johnson and Luke combination is in full swing by then.

Team predictions?

1.RTS
2.Rapana
3.Whare
4.SKD
5.Nightingale
6.Foran
7.Johnson
8.JWH
9.Luke
10.Bromwich
11.Harris (if fit)
12.Proctor
13.Taumalolo

14.Taupau
15.Mannering
16.Asofa-Solomona
17.Glenn

Left centre is an issue. Is Kata the only one available playing left centre at club level?

Whare and DWZ have an awesome combination at club level on the right but it is hard to not pick Rapana in his favoured position.

Nightingale's reliability gets him ahead of the likes of Feki,Fusitua,Kahu, Vatuvei etc.

The likes of Eastwood and Brown should never play again with Asofa-Solomona, Fisher-Harris and Tapine emerging.

jaseg

Juniors
eww @ that bench

Mannering isn't going to bring value from the bench, Glenn probably shouldn't be close to the team but utility value might get him there? NAS still a little bit off Kiwis.

Also eww @ JWH, should never be picked for the Kiwis again - consistently looks way out of his depth at international level. Would rather Eastwood, Blair, Tapine, ANYONE.

Still haven't forgiven SKD for last year either, so forget him... and would probably rather Fus than Nightingale.

I'd probably go something like...

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Jordan Rapana
Dean Whare
Brad Takairangi
David Fusitua
Kieran Foran
Shaun Johnson
Jesse Bromwich
Issac Luke
Junior Paulo (still hoping...)
Kevin Proctor
Simon Mannering
Jason Taumalolo

Tohu Harris (utility options have disappeared)
Joseph Tapine
Martin Taupau
Manu Mau

I've gone for the crazy impact bench approach... Tapine, Taupau & Mau.

Big Marn

Juniors
Is Paulo eligible for kiwis? Did not know that.

Nightingale was decidedly average yesterday. Doesn't get picked on form.

Totally agree regarding the Roosters softcocks. They can keep to club level.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Paulo was born in Auckland. Has he decided who he wants to play for yet?

I would put him in my 17 if he chooses NZ.

RTS
Vunivalu
Whare
Takairangi/Kahu
Rapana
Foran
Johnson

Bromwich
Luke
Tapine
Taumalolo
Proctor
Mannering

Taupau
Blair
Eastwood
Brown/Levi

Hard luck to Nightengale,SKD and Elijah Taylor
Great depth in the back this year

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Is Paulo eligible for kiwis? Did not know that.

Totally agree regarding the Roosters softcocks. They can keep to club level.
I know he played for Samoa but thats great news if he can play Kiwis.

jaseg

Juniors
Ah I forgot Vunivalu... close between him & Fus, might go Vunivalu. Though I'm still not comfortable picking someone who blatantly isn't a Kiwi (though if R&S is right he is/was eligible for citizenship rather than just on the residency rule, which makes me more comfortable with picking him), Aus will probably pick him eventually if we don't.

Junior Paulo definitely eligible for NZ... I heard Origin talk about him a few times last year, which has confused me since he moved to Aus after his 13th birthday apparently, which under the updated eligibility laws should stop him playing..

Cold Roses

Juniors
Left centre is an issue. Is Kata the only one available playing left centre at club level?

Kata and I think Hiku has played there. Whare is good enough to play on the left though. If they move anyone it should be him. Takairangi or Kahu on the right for mine.

jaseg

Juniors
Takairangi played left until Jennings moved to Parra. Should've been taken on the tour last year... we could have dropped SKD mid-tour if he was.

Hiku has played there but I don't know about him tbh.. just something I'm not quite sure about. Only making the Penrith team through injury (and even then not at centre) isn't ideal either, obviously.

What little I've seen from Kahu in the position doesn't suggest he's a good centre. I only think of him as a winger and stopgap fullback.

But from what we've seen in the past they'll probably just pick SKD and/or Beale again..

TheDMC

Bench

I thought I saw him score a first half hat-trick yesterday?

What about Kahu on bench for utility value (anywhere in the back-line, probably back up hooker too..?). I cringe at all forwards bench, means your toast if a back goes down.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Hiku is hopeless. He will probably be in Reserve Grade this week with Fisher-Harris and Cartwright (possibly) returning.

He is behind Mansour, DWZ, Blake, Peachey and Whare at Penrith.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd have Te Maire Martin in the squad, and up until the second half in yesterday arvo's gamed would've probably had him at 5/8. But Foran's second half performance cemented his incumbency, especially given the spine combo factor with SJ, Luke and RTS.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hiku is hopeless. He will probably be in Reserve Grade this week with Fisher-Harris and Cartwright (possibly) returning.

He is behind Mansour, DWZ, Blake, Peachey and Whare at Penrith.
Hiku the Sea Eagle was good. Hikus struggling to shine in a Panther team thats doing so well!

Meth

Staff member
I generally don't care much for the Anzac and this year I care for it even less. I have always been keen to see it used to secure eligibility and blood players. I am not really all that keen for too many Warriors to play.

No to SKD forever.