What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ & Pacific World Cup

Pommy

Coach
Maybe, and a few games would be fine, but with NZ and PNG hosting majority of the games there isn't much more branching out with my proposed idea.

Sydney didn't put up money because they didn't want to. I think Suva could make such games at the very least break even, all hypotheticals though until someone runs the business model I guess.

Isn't the aim to make a profit? Hence why Sydney isn't getting games despite being the biggest RL market in the world.

siv

First Grade
Right now we have a number of nations that could host a RLWC on their own other than Australia & England

NZ
France
USA
Canada

You then have a few others like

Spain
Italy/Serbia
Russia

Or grow the game but hosting in.major nations like

China
South Africa
Argentina/Chile

RLEF is pushing beyond traditional boundries

Set a soccer style rule that the host nation is guaranteed a spot in the 16 and ask them to bid

jim_57

Staff member
Isn't the aim to make a profit? Hence why Sydney isn't getting games despite being the biggest RL market in the world.
As a total package, some games are bound to make more money than others, I can't see why governments/stadiums and /or sponsors wouldn't put up money for games in Fiji, Tonga etc.

jim_57

Staff member
Not if NRL teams sign the full 9s squad

NRL will only continue to source more players from Fiji, especially with the NSW Cup team starting next year. An offer from an NRL club to a Fijian youngster will always be hard to refuse.

It would be interesting to see even now how names like Hayne, Radradra & Koribete rank in recognition in Fiji alongside 7's and 15's stars.

Pommy

Coach
As a total package, some games are bound to make more money than others, I can't see why governments/stadiums and /or sponsors wouldn't put up money for games in Fiji, Tonga etc.

Yet NSW government wouldn't.

deal.with.it

Juniors
The only way WCs can be staged is through gov $ and tv $. Then you find sponsors to make bonus $.

So any nation that wants to host must be in a good time zone for at least UK or Aus. Plus gov $, so the sport must be recognised by the gov and must be a wealthy enough nation to provide funding.

The best bet would be Ukraine, Serbia, France or NZ if you want a nation out side of aus or uk. The others like russia, canada, usa need to be a recognised sport in their country.

Outside of this, you will be waiting a long time for any other nation to be able to come up with the $ to host.

jim_57

Staff member
Yet NSW government wouldn't.

How many big sporting events or events in general do Pacific Islands have a chance of hosting as opposed to Sydney?

Not sure what you're arguing? That nobody will put up money in future years because NSW didn't this year and got shafted because of it?

Pommy

Coach
How many big sporting events or events in general do Pacific Islands have a chance of hosting as opposed to Sydney?

Not sure what you're arguing? That nobody will put up money in future years because NSW didn't this year and got shafted because of it?

I don't see Fiji, Samoa or Tonga putting the money up no why would sponsors pay for it to be held in second rate stadiums in tiny markets when they could have it in decent stadiums in relatively large markets?
As has been proved this year they're trying to use it make money not give fans a good time. I don't expect much other than it alternating between England and Australia/New Zealand to be honest.
I have no issue with it being in the islands Infact I would like it, but it's not going to happen.

jim_57

Staff member
I don't see Fiji, Samoa or Tonga putting the money up no why would sponsors pay for it to be held in second rate stadiums in tiny markets when they could have it in decent stadiums in relatively large markets?
As has been proved this year they're trying to use it make money not give fans a good time. I don't expect much other than it alternating between England and Australia/New Zealand to be honest.
I have no issue with it being in the islands Infact I would like it, but it's not going to happen.

Well we could argue about could or could nots all day in regards to Government $ and sponsorship, PNG must have put up a good offer for 2017 and Fiji tried but doesn't mean they won't up the offer next time, especially if they work with NZ & the other Islands for a combined WC.

And just because one WC committee went with one strategy for this World Cup doesn't mean all future ones will be the same, especially since it will be at least 8 years until an NZ/Pacific World Cup would take place.

Pommy

Coach
Well we could argue about could or could nots all day in regards to Government $ and sponsorship, PNG must have put up a good offer for 2017 and Fiji tried but doesn't mean they won't up the offer next time, especially if they work with NZ & the other Islands for a combined WC.

And just because one WC committee went with one strategy for this World Cup doesn't mean all future ones will be the same, especially since it will be at least 8 years until an NZ/Pacific World Cup would take place.

I could see another AU/NZ WC with PNG replaced with another pacific nation. But I'm confident what's suggested here won't happen. But who knows.

roughyedspud

Coach
The prime objective of the world cup is to make money....so im gonna have to say that all world cups for the foreseeable future must have england & australia as primary host..

Im all for,and actively encourage,other nations bidding to host the intercontinental cup...

Lets no get ahead of ourselfs and run before we can walk

adamkungl

Immortal
Encourage bids both WC and other tournaments), see what comes up. No point writing everywhere except 2 places off on assumptions.

Last Week

Bench
Encourage bids both WC and other tournaments), see what comes up. No point writing everywhere except 2 places off on assumptions.

Of course. But being realistically, there's no other nation which can deliver in terms of interest and money right now other than Australia and England.

NZ is our next realistic option and I don't think they could produce a world cup as successful as Australia or England? Hardly.

Professional leagues in other nations is what will help the most. The WC can be used for developing countries. Once we have a fully professional competition in a country, with televised matches, then I'll be satisfied that country can host the World Cup in their own. It's a tough ask, but it's what must be done.

jim_57

Staff member

It's nice that we'll have a fall back option for good bids like South Africa & USA, present them an alternative of the Confed Cup or World 9's if they are denied the main event.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Exactly. For those who don't know about Fiji - its 7s, daylight, daylight, daylight, then union. Most of em haven't even heard about league.
Thats definitely not true. When i spend time in fiji there is always articles in the paper and people know about RL and the bati. They support their national teams.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well maybe a slight exaggeration, but certainly they care a lot more about 7s and union. They play union at school and generally only take up league once here in Aus.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Well maybe a slight exaggeration, but certainly they care a lot more about 7s and union. They play union at school and generally only take up league once here in Aus.

Again, that is simply not true. If you knew anything about RL in Fiji you would be aware of the school based competitions. You'd also be aware of the RL clubs that have juniors right through to seniors. You'd also be aware of the countless rugby 7s players that have actually crossed over to RL for the change to make the Bati's WC squad AND to try and a get a contract with NRL teams.

I'm not saying that RL is more popular. But I can tell you first hand, that over the past 5 years there has definitely been a big shift - particularly over the past 24 months.

jim_57

Staff member
Again, that is simply not true. If you knew anything about RL in Fiji you would be aware of the school based competitions. You'd also be aware of the RL clubs that have juniors right through to seniors. You'd also be aware of the countless rugby 7s players that have actually crossed over to RL for the change to make the Bati's WC squad AND to try and a get a contract with NRL teams.

I'm not saying that RL is more popular. But I can tell you first hand, that over the past 5 years there has definitely been a big shift - particularly over the past 24 months.

I admittedly don't know much about RU in Fiji, but if/when the Fiji NSW Cup team gets off the ground would it be the biggest "rugby" club of either code in Fiji?

Latest posts