What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ & Pacific World Cup

Coastbloke

Bench
Well, Rugby League really needs to get their fingers out and decide quick smart whether they want a Fijian team in theNSW Cup.

The SMH today is reporting the ARU is considering entering a Fijian based team in the 2017 NRC.. League has been talking about this NSW Cup team for 4 years. Enough talk. Announce it today ffs.

jim_57

Staff member
How does this option look for next time (2029) leaving Australia out or or giving them Kangaroos matches only at best?

Games in NZ, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and maybe Hawaii and New Caledonia for USA and France games. I think at the very least it would be the most appreciated World Cup we'll ever see.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I really like this idea. Got to be careful not to spread too thin though in terms of hosts and venues.

But...I'm on board. At the very least I want NZ take the lead next time it is southern hemisphere, not Australia.

jim_57

Staff member
I really like this idea. Got to be careful not to spread too thin though in terms of hosts and venues.

But...I'm on board. At the very least I want NZ take the lead next time it is southern hemisphere, not Australia.

None of these countries will ever be in a position to host a World Cup solo (bar maybe NZ) so the Pacific approach would be great if all relevant parties could come together to make it happen.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Doesnt need to be a WC....

We could to a big Asia-Pacific Tournament in a non-WC year (While the Europeans do their own) and throw these all over the place.

Id even look to put some around Indonesia/Malaysia too if it was feasible to boost those local comps too.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Doesnt need to be a WC....

We could to a big Asia-Pacific Tournament in a non-WC year (While the Europeans do their own) and throw these all over the place.

Id even look to put some around Indonesia/Malaysia too if it was feasible to boost those local comps too.
Indonesia and Malaysia don't have local comps.

Perth Tiger

Bench
It would cost a shit ton but if they could figure out the logistics so that it would still make a profit it would be worthwhile

roughyedspud

Coach
After seeing the Tonga v Samoa game I genuinely believe NZ should host on its own in 2029...or in 2025 if the north America gets it taken off them..

Bypass Australia entirely..they have proved they aren't arsed about the world cup,poor attendances, completely unnecessary fixture clashes etc...f**k em'

With only so few viable options for the World Cup could we one day look at a NZ/Pacific Island hosted World Cup to mix it up from the predominantly Australian based World Cup? I'd imagine government money would still be thrown up and could see some really great crowds and an overall feelgood factor that could cement Rugby League alongside Union in the Pacific Islands. It would also give NZ their time to shine so to speak being the predominant hosts of a World Cup.

Maybe something like this for structure:
Pool A - 6 Games in NZ
New Zealand
England
France
??

Pool B - 2 Tonga, 2 Samoa, 2 NZ
Samoa
Tonga
Australia
??

Pool C - 6 PNG
PNG + 3

Pool D - 4 Fiji, 2 in Hawaii/USA
Fiji, USA + 2

QF's - 2 NZ, 1 Fiji, 1 PNG
Semis - 2 NZ
Final - NZ

Split - 13 NZ, 7 PNG, 5 Fiji, 2 Samoa, 2 Tonga, 2 USA (Hawaii).

I could envisage all games in the Islands sold out as well as all NZ pool games and all finals. Also gets us those World Cup games in the US..;)
The irony is that is what this one should have been.

jim_57

Staff member
After seeing the Tonga v Samoa game I genuinely believe NZ should host on its own in 2029...or in 2025 if the north America gets it taken off them..

Bypass Australia entirely..they have proved they aren't arsed about the world cup,poor attendances, completely unnecessary fixture clashes etc...f**k em'

Would be mad not to give at least Fiji & PNG a few home games each. If any of Tonga, Samoa, Hawaii, New Caledonia etc can put a decent proposal together to work with throw them a game or 2 each.

KokoRugbyLeague

Juniors

I am a Samoan Aussie and you couldnt be more correct they are lazy and threatened that their showpiece origin might get shown up. Which did on Saturday when Toa and MMT proved what a great spectacle when our great sport can shown worldwide.

DC_fan

Coach
If you are going to aim anywhere, then aim big. RLWC2025 should be played in China.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I am a Samoan Aussie and you couldnt be more correct they are lazy and threatened that their showpiece origin might get shown up. Which did on Saturday when Toa and MMT proved what a great spectacle when our great sport can shown worldwide.

A big 3-game series beside Origin (giving it time to build over a few week) would be huge. Of even just a 4 nations including PNG and NZ over the Origin period.

Whatever happens though, i think this WC has proved Rep Football is the future of RL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you are going to aim anywhere, then aim big. RLWC2025 should be played in China.

Ive lived here for a year and the one thing i can say for sure; give Chinese people a gimmick and it will be the greatest thing ever to them.

If the government here backed it (and had it in their national newspaper) a RLWC would be enormous, even if the locals didnt know what they were watching...

Latest posts