What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

DC_fan

Coach
Thanks for the lesson..but the point is why the f**k does the headline contain the word NRL!
Because if the SMH replaced NRL, say with RLIF for example than most league fans in Sydney would say who gives a stuff and ignore the story. It’s just the SMH catering to its market.

Pommy

Coach
Did you listen to what he actually said?

What he said about Jason Moore, Moore sports, and the RLIF and what their intentions behind supporting these games and the WC in 2025 actually are was pretty accurate.

What he said about the actual value to the growth of the sport in America of these games and the WC in 2025 in of themselves was pretty spot on as well.

What he alluded to about what it would actually take to crack the American market was slightly vague but still pretty spot on as well.

In fact apart from the misguided stuff about juniors in Victoria, seemingly his opinion that it isn't worth the time or money to scout the pro sports rejects over there, and seemingly his opinion that America is either to hard or expensive a market for the sport to crack he was pretty spot on about everything, you may not want to hear it but it was an accurate assessment of the actual situation.

If the plans for this 'push' into the American market remain what they currently are then in twenty years time it will be forgotten just like the SOO game played in California and the AFL games played all over the globe...

Although it’s looking likely a us team will be in the English set up in the short term.

roughyedspud

Coach
Well done NZ B...England they are lucky they have one of there own refereeing...

I've just watched the game...sod all wrong with the reffing....the ref didn't kick the ball out on the full 3 times ,stamp on John batemans hand or nearly take Ryan halls head off with a high tackle (jwh).that's 50% of the kiwi penalties right there......take them away it's 5-3 in penalties..hardly biased..plus the kiwi vid ref missed Ryan halls drop ball in the act of scoring in the corner..

So I dunno what you are whinging at lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watched game earlier, good result for England, nz look well off the pace and are lucky they haven’t chosen to play Tonga this year!

Wtf was that anthem singing? Cringe worthy and not a great way to promote yourself as a professional sport.

Give free tickets to all the uni students and fill the bottom bowl next year.

Good start to a three year USA exposure for the game.

King Ben

Juniors
It’s understood promoter Jason Moore took a significant hit financially, the result of a smaller-than-expected crowd of 19,320.

Interesting snippet from a SMH article. How many people was he expecting?!

DC_fan

Coach
Interesting snippet from a SMH article. How many people was he expecting?!

I did read a few days ago a comment of his suggesting he was expecting 30,000 for the game. So he was well short of that. Therefore, we can see why he ran a financial loss on the venture.

It obviously costs a lot of money to put on such an event. It would not surprise me if does not involve himself in any future rugby league events in the US. One thing he and everyone else should have leant from this exercise is don’t play games like this in massive stadiums. They were never going to even half fill it, let alone get close to a fullhouse.

franklin2323

Immortal
I did read a few days ago a comment of his suggesting he was expecting 30,000 for the game. So he was well short of that. Therefore, we can see why he ran a financial loss on the venture.

It obviously costs a lot of money to put on such an event. It would not surprise me if does not involve himself in any future rugby league events in the US. One thing he and everyone else should have leant from this exercise is don’t play games like this in massive stadiums. They were never going to even half fill it, let alone get close to a fullhouse.

The venue choice was strange. Wouldn't of been cheap to hire and most of the RL support is in the East. A college venue in the east or Hawaii is much better

Pommy

Coach
The venue choice was strange. Wouldn't of been cheap to hire and most of the RL support is in the East. A college venue in the east or Hawaii is much better

He explained why they chose Denver, it allowed them to hit US, UK and NZ TV markets at reasonable times. Had they done it on the east coast NZ would have missed out, do it in Hawaii and the UK misses out.

DC_fan

Coach
He explained why they chose Denver, it allowed them to hit US, UK and NZ TV markets at reasonable times. Had they done it on the east coast NZ would have missed out, do it in Hawaii and the UK misses out.

So therefore, it was really more about TV coverage to NZ and the UK, and two a certain extent America that factored in for the location of the game. I am not sure that was a wise way to proceed. As it showed, it didn't work out the way he was hoping for for a crowd point of view.

The game really should have been played at a smaller stadium, and to be quite honest a different city.

adamkungl

Immortal

You guys have to get over the idea that the local amateur league has any relevance to top tier test matches.
The RL support in the East would add up to about the amount of people at a typical Coogee Dolphins A Grade fixture. No one's making multi-million $ financial decisions based on where pub teams are located. No offence to the USARL or anyone involved.

Did you listen to what he actually said?

Nah, I'd rather swallow actual bull shit than whatever Kent is serving up.

adamkungl

Immortal
So therefore, it was really more about TV coverage to NZ and the UK, and two a certain extent America that factored in for the location of the game. I am not sure that was a wise way to proceed. As it showed, it didn't work out the way he was hoping for for a crowd point of view.

The game really should have been played at a smaller stadium, and to be quite honest a different city.

Yes it was about TV coverage to the 2 nations involved, surprise.

It would definitely be wiser to make a NZ v England test match almost unwatchable in NZ and England.

adamkungl

Immortal
If it was about TV ratings, then I doubt a 10k hit in cheap tickets was going to make much difference to the bottom line.

What makes anyone think it would have drawn more anywhere else though?
The Denver Broncos were promoting it, it was in a fantastic stadium in a city with a relatively strong Rugby scene.

Maybe if the Kiwis weren't too bogged down in trying to find 17 players that weren't coerced by their clubs into pulling out, they would have been able to put a bit more effort into promoting it themselves.

franklin2323

Immortal
You guys have to get over the idea that the local amateur league has any relevance to top tier test matches.
The RL support in the East would add up to about the amount of people at a typical Coogee Dolphins A Grade fixture. No one's making multi-million $ financial decisions based on where pub teams are located. No offence to the USARL or anyone involved.

Those Pub teams have the future players though. Those players the base which need to be built up. New York for example want a team in the English lower teams. Have 3 teams in the USARL it is a bigger base than Denver to build from. If they are going to be competitive going forward these are the areas that are key

adamkungl

Immortal
Those Pub teams have the future players though. Those players the base which need to be built up. New York for example want a team in the English lower teams. Have 3 teams in the USARL it is a bigger base than Denver to build from. If they are going to be competitive going forward these are the areas that are key

These things aren't really Jason Moore, England, or New Zealand's responsibility though.

And what if playing 3 years in Denver kickstarts a South-Western division of USA Rugby League? Surely that's as good a result as a boost for existing teams?

Fair enough if you're skeptical but to me it looks like Jason Moore has a long term vision that he's willing to back, so I'm willing to trust his judgement on the where, when, and how to stage events.
He's looking to 2025 while the NRL and their ilk rarely seem to look beyond next week.
He's willing to put up the cash and take the short term hits.

Latest posts