What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T: Foran, Rothfield and Hayson

Gronk

Staff member
No but there is now the issue of his confirmed mental illness and history of unavailability and off field issues due to that. Plus his involvement in a criminal investigation. Foran is still a massive risk of being unable to play through all or even any of 2017. And while the Warriors can protect themselves somewhat through contract clauses, the fact is that having a large chunk of your cap freed up after the season has started isn't necessarily helpful. Even when players come available they probably won't be the ones you want or need to replace a starting half.

A history of unavailability ? He missed the first game because of hammy issues. he then played rounds 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. He missed games in Rnds 9 & 10 because of personal issues. Played in Rnds 11 & 12.

Round 12 is where he suffered a season ending shoulder injury.

His involvement in a criminal investigation is newspaper speculation at this point. IIRC he has not even been interviewed by the police or crime commission. You are drawing a long bow trying to build a case of loss of market value. Failing so far.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/Ny0xNjc3LTQtLS0tLS0xMzkxMi0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0=
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/eels-captain-foran-out-for-season-with-shoulder-injury/7463348

Gronk

Staff member
Which makes you wonder if he would still be with us next year if that was the case. So - in summary it was not the depression which triggered the release - it was the bung shoulder and loss of the captaincy.

It was the bung shoulder and the rise of Norman to marquee player status that made an astute coach seize the opportunity to cull his highest paid player and upgrade another. Lucky for us Foran was doing it tough rehabbing from surgery and licking his woulds from a marriage bust-up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A history of unavailability ? He missed the first game because of hammy issues. he then played rounds 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. He missed games in Rnds 9 & 10 because of personal issues. Played in Rnds 11 & 12.

Round 12 is where he suffered a season ending shoulder injury.

His involvement in a criminal investigation is newspaper speculation at this point. IIRC he has not even been interviewed by the police or crime commission. You are drawing a long bow trying to build a case of loss of market value. Failing so far.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/Ny0xNjc3LTQtLS0tLS0xMzkxMi0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0=
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/eels-captain-foran-out-for-season-with-shoulder-injury/7463348
My main point was that his market value was never as high as his cost to our salary cap ended up. As I said, if his TPAs were never added to our cap I doubt we would have pushed him out.

Gronk

Staff member
My main point was that his market value was never as high as his cost to our salary cap ended up. As I said, if his TPAs were never added to our cap I doubt we would have pushed him out.
So Hayne's value is only 600k cos the Tits managed to put 600k on their marquee TPA ? [Or whatever the split was]

Try harder merkin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So Hayne's value is only 600k cos the Tits managed to put 600k on their marquee TPA ? [Or whatever the split was]

Try harder merkin.
The MPA is limited, so it counts as part of the cap. If Hayne's taking the whole MPA nobody else can use it.

Ok so Hayne's value is 1.2m or not?
Yes, it certainly is, we wouldn't pay it but the Tits would argue thats great money spent on and off the park.
If the Tits have to offer 1.2 m to get him over the line, thats his market value, it might be slightly inflated to some, just depends what angle you look at it from.

phantom eel

First Grade
Ok so Hayne's value is 1.2m or not?
Absolutely
But... earlier you said?
But the amount we paid him wasn't just his market value, it was his market value plus the amount we tried to pay him outside the cap.
icon_crazy.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne's reported $1.2M is all (reportedly) under the cap (including the capped MPA). I don't see why you're confused.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Market value is only ever what the market is prepared to pay at that point in time.

If the best contract Foran can get today is 500k, that's his market value today. If the NRL turn around and say no, his value is 800k, that's an arbitrary value based on their opinion, but given they are not in the market to sign him, it has nothing to do with his actual market value.

hybrideel

Bench
Pou your argument basically assumes that had the titans not had access to the MPA then they would have still agreed to pay him $1.2 million under the cap. I doubt any club would agree to pay any player that much under the cap. I think Haynes cap value for anyone would be around the $7-800K mark give or take a desperate club or 2

Avenger

Immortal
Not that I want the f**kwit but why couldn't Foran just resume his playing career with us? That's why this situation shits me. He should be made to sit out season 2017 and not make a miraculous recovery and play with another NRL club.

This low life peanut has no credibility.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou your argument basically assumes that had the titans not had access to the MPA then they would have still agreed to pay him $1.2 million under the cap. I doubt any club would agree to pay any player that much under the cap. I think Haynes cap value for anyone would be around the $7-800K mark give or take a desperate club or 2
Why are MPA dollars worth less than salary cap dollars? If the Titans didn't have access to the MPA it would mean they are paying it to one or more of their other players, meaning they would have had that much ($600k) extra free under the cap to pay Hayne. It's irrelevant whether it's MPA space or salary cap space. It's all limited/capped.

Avenger

Immortal
We agreed to release him so we no longer have any claim to his services
Fair enough but the way he made out that he may never come back due to his mental state contributed to him getting an unconditional release. Mate I'm glad he's gone but he will always go down as our worst signing ever. He let everyone down including his own family which is the saddest part of all.

hybrideel

Bench
Why are MPA dollars worth less than salary cap dollars? If the Titans didn't have access to the MPA it would mean they are paying it to one or more of their other players, meaning they would have had that much ($600k) extra free under the cap to pay Hayne. It's irrelevant whether it's MPA space or salary cap space. It's all limited/capped.

It is completely relevant when you are talking about the value of one player not the entire club salary cap

hybrideel

Bench
Fair enough but the way he made out that he may never come back due to his mental state contributed to him getting an unconditional release. Mate I'm glad he's gone but he will always go down as our worst signing ever. He let everyone down including his own family which is the saddest part of all.

I'm glad he's gone as well but i agree with Pou that i think at the least we didn't put up a fight or at most we pushed him once an extra $400K was going to be added to our cap