What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off contract 2017

This is what I get.
Who would you keep and who would you let go and why?
It will be interesting to see if thoughts change as we make signings or a lack thereof.

David Bhana
Brendan Elliot
Jaelen Feeney
Lachlan Fitzgibbon
Jacob Gagan
Tom Hughes
Peter Mata'utia
Sam Mataora
Micky Paea
Pauli Pauli
Will Pearsall
Dylan Pythian
Tyler Randell
Josh Starling
Jack Stockwell
Anthony Tupou
Luke Yates

Pedge1971

First Grade
Keep but on cheap contracts:
Elliot
Feeney
Fitzy
Hughes
Pauli
Yates

All are solid but not spectacular but can either develop into more or fill a role.

Upgrade Pete Mat. Form has been good and he deserves it.

Keep Pythian but 2 years max. Needs to orove his body can handle NRL. Potential to develop to a good bench utility but question marks.

Bye to the rest. Either well past it or just not up to it. All this assumes we get the 5 or 6 upgrades Brown has publicly stated he is after plus Ponga.

First Grade
Keep but on cheap contracts:
Elliot
Feeney
Fitzy
Hughes
Pauli
Yates

All are solid but not spectacular but can either develop into more or fill a role.

Upgrade Pete Mat. Form has been good and he deserves it.

Keep Pythian but 2 years max. Needs to orove his body can handle NRL. Potential to develop to a good bench utility but question marks.

Bye to the rest. Either well past it or just not up to it. All this assumes we get the 5 or 6 upgrades Brown has publicly stated he is after plus Ponga.
I would keep randall as well. Love his effort

perverse

Referee
I wouldn't mind offering Randell minimum wage, and I don't even like the bloke. He can't stay at his current price, though.

Glendale

Juniors
David Bhana- Let go

Brendan Elliot- Re-sign

Jaelen Feeney- Maybe re-sign as depth if his form keeps up

Lachlan Fitzgibbon- Maybe keep as depth but we have a lot of second rowers. Minimum wage.

Jacob Gagan- Needs to show form in firstgrade. Not looking likely atm.

Tom Hughes- Who??

Peter Mata'utia- The priority Re-sign out of this bunch.

Sam Mataora- Let go

Micky Paea- Let go

Pauli Pauli- Probably re-sign but needs to make it back to first grade and play well.

Will Pearsall- Let go

Dylan Pythian- Re-sign

Tyler Randell- With Kosty looking gone, possibly re-sign as Levi's back-up. Will need to accept a big downgrade.

Josh Starling- Maybe re-sign as depth

Jack Stockwell- Let go

Anthony Tupou- Retire

Luke Yates- Re-sign

Spot On

Coach
Pythian, Pete, Pauli, Yates, Elliott.

Maybe Feeney and Fitz depending on the '5 or 6 signings' yet to come.

David Bhana - No. He'll be second string only.

Brendan Elliot - keep. Has shown he is a first grade player. Difficult to find a spot for him in firsts. We might have competition to keep him.

Jaelen Feeney - keep. Depends if we sign a half. Has said he will still be dedicated to the club. Might have competition to keep him.

Lachlan Fitzgibbon - on the fence.

Jacob Gagan - let him go.

Tom Hughes -?

Peter Mata'utia - keep on upgrade. Brown has told him he wants him to stay. Pay the money.

Sam Mataora - let go

Micky Paea - let go

Pauli Pauli - keep but I agree he needs to lift. I'll excuse him coming back from injury.

Will Pearsall - let go.

Dylan Pythian - keep but I agree on 2 years. He needs to come back from injury and stay fit if his body is up to it.

Tyler Randell - I'd keep but he is looking elsewhere. He might have been given the word.

Josh Starling - let go subject to fwd signings.

Jack Stockwell - let go. He's fought his way back but I reckon he will always be fighting

Anthony Tupou - Retire. I don't think he'll play another game.

Luke Yates - second tier only.

slotmachine

First Grade
David Bhana - cut
Brendan Elliot - 1 year
Jaelen Feeney - 1 year
Lachlan Fitzgibbon - cut
Jacob Gagan - cut
Tom Hughes - 1 year second tier
Peter Mata'utia - 2 years
Sam Mataora - cut
Micky Paea - cut
Pauli Pauli - 1 year
Will Pearsall - cut
Dylan Pythian - 1 year
Tyler Randell - 1 year (won't be re-signed though)
Josh Starling - cut
Jack Stockwell - cut
Anthony Tupou - cut
Luke Yates - 1 year second tier

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
David Bhana - cut
Brendan Elliot - 1 year
Jaelen Feeney - 1 year
Lachlan Fitzgibbon - cut
Jacob Gagan - cut
Tom Hughes - 1 year second tier
Peter Mata'utia - 2 years
Sam Mataora - cut
Micky Paea - cut
Pauli Pauli - 1 year
Will Pearsall - cut
Dylan Pythian - 1 year
Tyler Randell - 1 year (won't be re-signed though)
Josh Starling - cut
Jack Stockwell - cut
Anthony Tupou - cut
Luke Yates - 1 year second tier
I like the cut of your jib.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
I have been reading many posts in the last few months re player retention & team selections & am continually baffled to see Pauli Pauli mentioned as a possible first grade player each week & now a resigning for next season. Really, I have not seen anything positive from him since he arrived last season in either first grade or NSW Cup. Granted he had the car accident prior to this season which set him back, but since returning he has showed nothing once again. What is so disappointing is his lack of effort & intent in matches, a huge specimen with the potential to do anything in both attack & defence, yet he never does, cant get himself out of 1st gear
& seems totally disinterested. Probably is a lovely bloke but unfortunately counts for little on the field & its not hard to see why Brad Arthur cut him loose at the Eels, particularly when he is a coach who loves to use power players to pound opposition into submission, which Pauli was tailor made for. I would love to see him prove me wrong, as he has a huge physical presence & potential but it all counts for nothing if you don't aim up on the field. Either I'm watching a different game to most on the forum or they are living in hope rather than being realistic about his efforts so far, but throwing money at someone who just won't have a go is revisiting the past.
May as well track down George Rose for a comeback, at least he has two or three full blown efforts a game rather than none.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I have been reading many posts in the last few months re player retention & team selections & am continually baffled to see Pauli Pauli mentioned as a possible first grade player each week & now a resigning for next season. Really, I have not seen anything positive from him since he arrived last season in either first grade or NSW Cup. Granted he had the car accident prior to this season which set him back, but since returning he has showed nothing once again. What is so disappointing is his lack of effort & intent in matches, a huge specimen with the potential to do anything in both attack & defence, yet he never does, cant get himself out of 1st gear
& seems totally disinterested. Probably is a lovely bloke but unfortunately counts for little on the field & its not hard to see why Brad Arthur cut him loose at the Eels, particularly when he is a coach who loves to use power players to pound opposition into submission, which Pauli was tailor made for. I would love to see him prove me wrong, as he has a huge physical presence & potential but it all counts for nothing if you don't aim up on the field. Either I'm watching a different game to most on the forum or they are living in hope rather than being realistic about his efforts so far, but throwing money at someone who just won't have a go is revisiting the past.
May as well track down George Rose for a comeback, at least he has two or three full blown efforts a game rather than none.

Like you I've seen very little in Pauli Pauli to date. I think a lot of people sing his praises because he has the size that our team lacks along with being young. He reminds me of a recent version of AK47.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think most are say resign on a minimum or second tier contract. I have seen him play a few games where he had good impact off the bench for Parra early doors, less so for us.

Cannot watch reserves over here so not sure how good he has been this year but looks to have more upside than some on that list.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
It would be a resigning on potential

Honestly, i see a lot of Andrew Fafita in him and we all know that took a long time for him to find his groove

Not saying Pauli is going to be a rep player or anything (although he did play for city this year lol) but he has the makings of a very good FGer if he can find the motivation

Still Nutty

Juniors
Real shame he had that car accident, was apparently in excellent condition prior to that.

Yeah...word was he was really up for the start of the season and had been training the house down.

I also admit I'd seen him in the lower grades a few times this year and he looked very disengaged - I think the ball is in his court at the moment. If he can show what he wants to be, step up and deliver on that potential, then I think he has the frame, speed, step and potential offloading ability to be a quality FG'er.

I remember an article in October last year where they did a piece on what players were doing in the off season and it was only him, Nathan Ross and one other that were highlighted as working on their game.

But he does seem to have slipped back a bit to his old ways of going through the motions without the 101% effort that must have impressed in his pre-season prep...

I too hope he finds the fire to get himself picked up by us on a contract extension BUT he needs to get his mental approach back to those pre-season days or we need to pass because he won't have the capacity to be a long term option for us to develop.

Burwood

Bench
I thought the car crash was going to be a positive for Pauli- he came out soon after it happened and talked about how he was determined to make the most of his footballing because he appreciated it more after he nearly lost it all. Brown was impressed how he worked hard on his diet and fitness while off injured.

But since he's come back he seems to be the same old guy.

Alex28

Coach
Has anybody - other than on Facebook - heard Anthony about Joe Wardle being released at the end of the year?

Latest posts