What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official NRL Stats and discussion thread

Rabbit toes

First Grade
The stats presented are only tackle efficiency stats so aren’t really representative of who’s a better hooker. If we really wanna go in depth I’d be happy to do it though? I would guess though that if we’re talking about just 2018 then Cook would win though. Mcinnes has led his side to 5 victories but that wasn’t really individual brilliance from him... more Gareth Widdop.

No I’m happy to have people disagree with me, but I just think if I’m gonna pull up evidence of dragons supporters saying Mcinnes probably shouldn’t be playing 80 then it shouldn’t just be dismissed as “wrong opinions.” :)
Yeah there’s no right or wrong answer. We’ll know more at origin time. In the meantime, I’m preparing for tonight with a nice Pekko hopped ipa and looking forward to a great clash.

Khan rabbits

I don't really know why anyone would ever use anything other than the official NRL app. Here's the SS i took on my Ipad. Cook definitely did run 160m
Hey STID,
I'm happy to be proven wrong and I'll admit I have been here.

However, I must say, at the time that that I first posted I could not see proper stats on either the NRL website or their App. After your post I checked the App and I had to update before opening it. They are now there and it has Cook running for 160m from 18 runs. I take this as official now that I can see it from an official source I am happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong.

I will also admit that I was wrong when I stated that Champion Data was the official stats provider to the NRL. I was basing this on an article from 2013 and I could not find anything since to note a change.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-gives-stats-job-to-afl-number-cruncher-20131130-2yiba.html

After further research it appears Prozone are now the official stats provider and they have since been acquired by stats.
https://www.stats.com/press-releases/stats-acquires-prozone/

As much as I will admit I was wrong, it is hard to find this stuff which should be readily available to fans. On the NRL website I had a popup that said Match Stats will be available soon. At the moment they only show stat leaders from games and not a grid with all players stats. A week ago my app showed the same.

Can I ask STID, I only updated my App today after viewing your post, and can now see a grid. How long have you been able to see this for?

Although I'll a admit I was wrong, It makes it hard when there is nothing official on the NRL website or App, and no information that they changed their provider 2 to 3 years ago.

We're six rounds in and the NRL website says Stats coming soon and the App only appears to have added them in the last week.

WTF have they been doing in the off season?

I look like an idiot now after my OP, but I was going on what was available to me..

I guess my original point was that I prefer official NRL stats over narrative but FMD the NRL make it hard.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hey STID,

However, I must say, at the time that that I first posted I could not see proper stats on either the NRL website or their App. After your post I checked the App and I had to update before opening it. They are now there and it has Cook running for 160m from 18 runs. I take this as official now that I can see it from an official source I am happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong.

I will also admit that I was wrong when I stated that Champion Data was the official stats provider to the NRL. I was basing this on an article from 2013 and I could not find anything since to note a change.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-gives-stats-job-to-afl-number-cruncher-20131130-2yiba.html

After further research it appears Prozone are now the official stats provider and they have since been acquired by stats.

As much as I will admit I was wrong, it is hard to find this stuff which should be readily available to fans. On the NRL website I had a popup that said Match Stats will be available soon. At the moment they only show stat leaders from games and not a grid with all players stats. A week ago my app showed the same.

Can I ask STID, I only updated my App today after viewing your post, and can now see a grid. How long have you been able to see this for?

Although I'll a admit I was wrong, It makes it hard when there is nothing official on the NRL website or App, and no information that they changed their provider 2 to 3 years ago.

We're six rounds in and the NRL website says Stats coming soon and the App only appears to have added them in the last week.

I look like an idiot now after my OP, but I was going on what was available to me..

I guess my original point was that I prefer official NRL stats over narrative but FMD the NRL make it hard.
Don't worry mate... all good!

All is well!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Tom 181m
Sutto 175m
George 151m
Gagai 150m
Cook 145m
Clark 123m
Tatola 122m
Nicholls 107m
Crichton 107m

Wow wow!!!

Cookie didn't miss a tackle either!!

doyen

Bench
Tom 181m
Sutto 175m
George 151m
Gagai 150m
Cook 145m
Clark 123m
Tatola 122m
Nicholls 107m
Crichton 107m

Wow wow!!!

Cookie didn't miss a tackle either!!

Those stats are amazing--almost unbelievable!!!
We not only beat the Roosters we ran rings around them!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Those stats are amazing--almost unbelievable!!!
We not only beat the Roosters we ran rings around them!!
Must back it up next week mate!

Can't just think Sam's back and it's all good! With that mentality you lose!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Hey STID,

That's all good mate. I've always used the NRL app for player stats the last couple of years. I play a fair bit of fantasy football and they've always been the scores to base them off.

I've always had trouble with NRL.com on PC. It constantly feels like they're refurbishing the site. I usually access everything through my phone because it just seems cleaner. But for the past 3 years whenever i went onto the NRL app on my phone i click on a game and slide through the tabs and there's usually always one that says "player stats".

You were right about the leaguelive app though. I don't think they're official so i don't know how much to trust from them. Only the NRL app i really trust.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That's all good mate. I've always used the NRL app for player stats the last couple of years. I play a fair bit of fantasy football and they've always been the scores to base them off.

I've always had trouble with NRL.com on PC. It constantly feels like they're refurbishing the site. I usually access everything through my phone because it just seems cleaner. But for the past 3 years whenever i went onto the NRL app on my phone i click on a game and slide through the tabs and there's usually always one that says "player stats".

You were right about the leaguelive app though. I don't think they're official so i don't know how much to trust from them. Only the NRL app i really trust.
League Live are now following NRL app scores and fantasy points too

Yeah but Cameron Smith plays the game like a 3rd half. He doesn’t have to run because of all the other stuff he does in the game to create opportunities.

Cooks best attribute is scooting that’s why it’s great to see him do it. It’s not just the work he does scooting out of dummy half either. 160ARM, 49 tackles, 1 LB, 3 TB, 1 try. Stats don’t tell the whole game but these numbers are incredible. I personally hope we lock in Cook because I don’t think there are many better hookers in the competition. Cameron Smith, Api Koroisau. That’s all I can really think of. He gets better every year as well. He’s defence has gotten a whole lot better than what it was last year.

A fair few Dragons supporters want to see Reece Robson promoted to the 17 who is a very good young hooker. I don’t really know what that says about Mcinnes being the best hooker in this generation if he can’t play 80 minutes effectively with the forward pack he has.

"160ARM, 49 tackles, 1 LB, 3 TB, 1 try. Stats don’t tell the whole game but these numbers are incredible."

Not having a crack at you STID, but this is a good example of what I am saying about narrative over fact. Reading those stats, I agree they are incredible. It almost sounds like Cook had a perfect game.

I know I'll be accused by some of being a "Cookhater" for saying this by some, but I just don't like it when people handpick the positive stats of a player and omit the negatives.

Don't get me wrong. I believe Cook had a good game against the Panthers. However, when someone posts these stats without even mentioning that he missed 5 tackles (team high), and made an error, you're really not painting the full picture.

Last week against the rorters he had 145 ARM, 4TB, 1LB, 2OL, 45TK, 0MTK and 1E.

That is a great game.

Credit where credits due, I have been a longtime doubter of Cook. But if he continues to improve his defence, and finds a kicking game from somewhere, he could become the complete hooker.

I don't hate any of our players. I want them all to continue to improve their games and become better players, as this will only be of benefit to our mighty club.

I just don't like it when if you try to balance the argument by pointing out stats that were previously omitted to provide a bit of balance, you suddenly hate that player. To be clear I am not accusing you of this.

I can't remember who, but at the end of last season one poster on here even started a thread to discuss the stats of hookers on here. They provided factual figures for 4 or 5 hookers, and then provided a very biased narrative about Macinnes without including any actual figures. Surely if you can access figures for other hookers and post them, you should be able to also post actual figures for Cam rather than just a very slanted narrative.

Just my thoughts, love to hear from others.

Stan

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

"160ARM, 49 tackles, 1 LB, 3 TB, 1 try. Stats don’t tell the whole game but these numbers are incredible."

Not having a crack at you STID, but this is a good example of what I am saying about narrative over fact. Reading those stats, I agree they are incredible. It almost sounds like Cook had a perfect game.

I know I'll be accused by some of being a "Cookhater" for saying this by some, but I just don't like it when people handpick the positive stats of a player and omit the negatives.

Don't get me wrong. I believe Cook had a good game against the Panthers. However, when someone posts these stats without even mentioning that he missed 5 tackles (team high), and made an error, you're really not painting the full picture.

Last week against the rorters he had 145 ARM, 4TB, 1LB, 2OL, 45TK, 0MTK and 1E.

That is a great game.

Credit where credits due, I have been a longtime doubter of Cook. But if he continues to improve his defence, and finds a kicking game from somewhere, he could become the complete hooker.

I don't hate any of our players. I want them all to continue to improve their games and become better players, as this will only be of benefit to our mighty club.

I just don't like it when if you try to balance the argument by pointing out stats that were previously omitted to provide a bit of balance, you suddenly hate that player. To be clear I am not accusing you of this.

I can't remember who, but at the end of last season one poster on here even started a thread to discuss the stats of hookers on here. They provided factual figures for 4 or 5 hookers, and then provided a very biased narrative about Macinnes without including any actual figures. Surely if you can access figures for other hookers and post them, you should be able to also post actual figures for Cam rather than just a very slanted narrative.

Just my thoughts, love to hear from others.

Stan

That’s a totally fair assessment. Stats can be used to alter any argument in someone’s favour. In fact there was an argument on here the other day and people were using tackle efficiencies as a way to judge who the best candidate for an origin hooker was? Now you can’t tell me that’s not completely biased towards Mcinnes?

I really do like Cook and have been a fan of him from day 1 so I’m not gonna deny bias as it’s probably there. The biggest problem I have with you bringing up the 5 missed tackles though is that firstly, the game against penrith was unbelievably hot. To play 80 minutes in the middle and do the amount of running that Cook did, I definitely believe 5 missed tackles are justified. To put things in perspective here as well it wasn’t just Cook that missed a few tackles. Murray also missed 4 that game, Crichton missed 4 and Surgess and Turgess missed 3. It wasn’t exactly a perfect game in the middle for Souths. We were absolutely fatigued and that’s what cost us the game in the end.

I’m all for discussion here Stan.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
This is a repost from another site.

AVERAGE RUNS/METRES
17/162: Surgess
13/134: Turgess
14/129: Gagai
15/127: Crichton
12/118: Inglis
11/114: Cook
12/113: Jennings
11/111: Kennar
11/110: AJ
11/107: Sutton
10/98: Murray
8/91: Gurgess
8/82: Clark
8/81: Tatola
10/70: Walker
7/66: Fui
6/66: Nicholls
10/64: Burns
8/60: Doueihi
5/42: Hunt
4/37: Turner
6/30: Reynolds

AVERAGE TACKLES
43: Cook
35: Crichton, Murray
31: Surgess
26: Sutton
22: Gurgess
21: Turgess
19: Nicholls, Clark
18: Tatola
15: Walker, Gagai
14: Reynolds, Hunt
11: Doueihi
10: Turner
9: Inglis
6: AJ, Fui
5: Kennar
2: Jennings

LINEBREAKS
6: Walker
5: Jennings, Cook
4: Kennar
3: AJ
2: Murray, Clark, Inglis
1: Crichton, Turgess, Burns, Gagai, Sutton

TRY ASSISTS
5: Walker
4: Gagai, AJ
2: Jennings, Cook
1: Inglis, Sutton, Doueihi

LINEBREAK ASSISTS
7: AJ
3: Gagai, Walker
2: Inglis, Reynolds
1: Jennings, Sutton, Crichton, Cook, Doueihi

AVERAGE PENALTIES + ERRORS
3: Burns
2.8: Surgess
2.3: Crichton, Reynolds
2.1: Walker
2: Cook
1.3: Inglis, Clark
1.2: Doueihi
1: Murray, Fui
0.9: Gurgess, Turgess
0.7: Sutton, AJ
0.6: Hunt, Kennar
0.4: Nicholls, Tatola, Jennings
0.3: Gagai
0: Jennings, Turner

PENALTIES
9: Surgess, Reynolds
7: Crichton
6: Cook
5: Inglis, Walker
4: Gurgess, Turgess, Clark, Doueihi, Murray
3: Nicholls
2: Sutton, Gagai, Hunt, Tatola
1: Fui, Kennar

ERRORS
10: Walker
9: Crichton
8: Cook
5: Surgess, AJ
4: Inglis
3: Sutton, Burns, Jennings
2: Gurgess, Turgess, Doueihi, Kennar
1: Hunt, Murray, Tatola

TOP 5 CLUB AND PLAYER STATS
CLUB
1st: line engaged, linebreaks, decoy runs, run metres, kick return metres
2nd: points scored, tries, tacklebreaks, dummy half runs, linebreak assists, receipts, intercepts, penalties(2nd worst)
3rd: post contact metres, runs, try assists

PLAYERS
Jennings: equal 2nd tries
Walker: equal 2nd linebreaks, equal 2nd handling errors
AJ: 3rd linebreak assists
Cook: 3rd tackles, 2nd dummy half runs (guess who’s 1st), 2nd ineffective tackles
Kennar: 2nd intercepts
Crichton: 1st decoy runs
Turgess: 2nd decoy runs

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Obviously there's a concern there for Cook's tackling, errors and penalties conceded. Walker is also the same. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Obviously there's a concern there for Cook's tackling, errors and penalties conceded. Walker is also the same. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.
I'd say Angus has missed more tackles than anyone else in the side?? That's my guess.

Cookie tackling is fine! Improving in recent weeks and about the same percentage as Isaac. Compared to Api Cook is fine!

For what he brings I can live with those errors too! Farah would be making the same amount of errors/penalties if not more and not offering what Cookie offers!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'll have a guess and say someone like a Hiku or Mansour?

A really good collection of stats there, great work finding them.
I thought he meant in our team?? In regards to Cookie missing second most amount of tackles!

Is that what you meant STID??

Or do you mean who has the most dummy half runs in our side?? If I had to guess I'd say Jennings..........

Travitoh

First Grade
I thought he meant in our team?? In regards to Cookie missing second most amount of tackles!

Is that what you meant STID??

Or do you mean who has the most dummy half runs in our side?? If I had to guess I'd say Jennings..........

I'm pretty sure they're NRL rankings

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'd say Angus has missed more tackles than anyone else in the side?? That's my guess.

Cookie tackling is fine! Improving in recent weeks and about the same percentage as Isaac. Compared to Api Cook is fine!

For what he brings I can live with those errors too! Farah would be making the same amount of errors/penalties if not more and not offering what Cookie offers!

You’re right about Angus. As much as he brings to the team offensively he’s got some pretty poor discipline and shocking defence. Which is the last thing the roosters actually need.

Yeah but I don’t think you can just completely excuse those parts of his game. He still does have a lot he can improve on. It’s just like Angus really. Their attacking ability is substantial but their defence needs work.