What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

Dodgy

Juniors
I get that this thread is mainly about the balance of NRL/AFL talk, and the bias towards AFL and against NRL. But not even a mention of the single biggest game in the world, which occurred since last week's show.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The AFL coverage starts with the goal after the siren to win a game..

The NRL coverage starts with Farah getting his head knock...

Highlight the positive in their preferred code and a negative in the other..

The Great Dane

First Grade
Crowd violence in the AFL?
Let’s make a quick joke about it and move on immediately.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but the media reaction to violence at AFL games has been astounding.

If a flare gets let off or something a little edgy get chanted at a Soccer match or at an NRL game (like back when the Bulldogs were having their issues) it's national front page news, it's discussed in every sports report, and discussed on every talk show. People are regularly getting into punch ups at the AFL and it gets maybe a handful of small articles and an offhanded comment at best...

It's a very weird double standard, and I think a very unique one as I can't think of any similar cases to it when it comes to sport from around the world... The only societal attitudes that I can think of that are similar are commonly referred to as "the soft bigotry of low expectations" that are placed on some collective groups of people in societies around the world (including ours) as apposed to the higher standards expected of others, but to see something similar to that in sport is very strange to say the least, and to see the sport that is held to lower expectations being arguably the dominant code of football culturally in the society is even stranger, but I digress...

It'd be a very interesting thing to see some psychological and political studies looking into how and why as a culture in Australia we have certain social expectations on sports and sports fans depending one which sport that is being played.

gUt

Coach
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but the media reaction to violence at AFL games has been astounding.

If a flare gets let off or something a little edgy get chanted at a Soccer match or at an NRL game (like back when the Bulldogs were having their issues) it's national front page news, it's discussed in every sports report, and discussed on every talk show. People are regularly getting into punch ups at the AFL and it gets maybe a handful of small articles and an offhanded comment at best...

It's a very weird double standard, and I think a very unique one as I can't think of any similar cases to it when it comes to sport from around the world... The only societal attitudes that I can think of that are similar are commonly referred to as "the soft bigotry of low expectations" that are placed on some collective groups of people in societies around the world (including ours) as apposed to the higher standards expected of others, but to see something similar to that in sport is very strange to say the least, and to see the sport that is held to lower expectations being arguably the dominant code of football culturally in the society is even stranger, but I digress...

It'd be a very interesting thing to see some psychological and political studies looking into how and why as a culture in Australia we have certain social expectations on sports and sports fans depending one which sport that is being played.

I think you're half reading into it too much. It's partly brainwashing/cult behaviour true, but it's equally cash for (no) comment and contra as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think you're half reading into it too much. It's partly brainwashing/cult behaviour true, but it's equally cash for (no) comment and contra as well.

I don't think that it's cult behaviour in the slightest...

I think that it's probably a cultural quirk mixed with a bit of circumstance...
The Circumstance being that a huge proportion of the "News" and/or current events shows produced in this country come out of Melbourne, which skews their talking points and opinions heavily towards things that are more relevant to the culture in Melbourne or more towards a more typically Melbourne style of world view, which isn't necessarily representative of the broader culture nationally or average opinions nationally (especially the north east of the country).

Who has a clue about the cultural quirk on the other hand, that is what would be interesting to look into.

There's definitely some cover ups and should we say paid reviews going on though (though the payment almost certainly isn't in a monetary form).

Suitman

Post Whore
I don't think that it's cult behaviour in the slightest...

I think that it's probably a cultural quirk mixed with a bit of circumstance...
The Circumstance being that a huge proportion of the "News" and/or current events shows produced in this country come out of Melbourne, which skews their talking points and opinions heavily towards things that are more relevant to the culture in Melbourne or more towards a more typically Melbourne style of world view, which isn't necessarily representative of the broader culture nationally or average opinions nationally (especially the north east of the country).

Who has a clue about the cultural quirk on the other hand, that is what would be interesting to look into.

There's definitely some cover ups and should we say paid reviews going on though (though the payment almost certainly isn't in a monetary form).

You are correct on both accounts for differing reasons though.
In the "north east" states, it's a media issue where the cover ups are based on damage limitation.
In the southern and western states, it's purely cultural and protective of their tiny little sport. They clearly don't see that brawling is a bad thing, nor racism or homophobia. Well, they won't let on anyway. That is why on Offsiders this morning they just laughed off the brawling. Imagine if that had happened at a Wanderers vs Sydney FC game, or a Bulldogs vs Eels game?
I said in another thread that I've lost count of the amount of brawls/fights there have been at AFL games this season. There must have been at least 10, if not more. And that's just the AFL, not including the other incidents that have happened in other levels of the sport in VIC, SA and WA. Including the female version.

Compare this to the reaction 2 flares got at 1 A-League game this season, and the outrage from the southern press. And that was all that happened last A-League season. The season before, the outrage was the banner that had a dick in the mouth of Graham Arnold. Que the extreme outrage.
It's the same when the Offsiders mob comment about RL. They will give 1 minute to something notable, then spend 5-10 minutes highlighting the negatives

Yet, when there is a banner, held up at an ALF game stating "Stop the Mosques" , it is dismissed as 'THEY ARE NOT AFL FANS". "THEY ARE NOT FOOTY FANS". "THEY DON'T REPRESENT OUR OPINION".
Is that the same opinion that has fans throwing bananas at coloured atheletes? The same opinion that supposed dignitaries such as Eddie McGuire and Kevin Sheedy can make racist comments, and racially vilify players without any type of retribution?

It is indeed, a "special" sport, living in a bubble of it's own making. The saddest thing is, that they are not held accountable by anyone. ANYONE!!

That f**king inbred mob from down south will do anything to protect their insignificant game. They truly are an embarrassment to this country.

In the "north east" states, it's a media issue where the cover ups are based on damage limitation.
In the southern and western states, it's purely cultural and protective of their tiny little sport. They clearly don't see that brawling is a bad thing, nor racism or homophobia. Well, they won't let on anyway. That is why on Offsiders this morning they just laughed off the brawling. Imagine if that had happened at a Wanderers vs Sydney FC game, or a Bulldogs vs Eels game?
I said in another thread that I've lost count of the amount of brawls/fights there have been at AFL games this season. There must have been at least 10, if not more. And that's just the AFL, not including the other incidents that have happened in other levels of the sport in VIC, SA and WA. Including the female version.

Compare this to the reaction 2 flares got at 1 A-League game this season, and the outrage from the southern press. And that was all that happened last A-League season. The season before, the outrage was the banner that had a dick in the mouth of Graham Arnold. Que the extreme outrage.
It's the same when the Offsiders mob comment about RL. They will give 1 minute to something notable, then spend 5-10 minutes highlighting the negatives

Yet, when there is a banner, held up at an ALF game stating "Stop the Mosques" , it is dismissed as 'THEY ARE NOT AFL FANS". "THEY ARE NOT FOOTY FANS". "THEY DON'T REPRESENT OUR OPINION".
Is that the same opinion that has fans throwing bananas at coloured atheletes? The same opinion that supposed dignitaries such as Eddie McGuire and Kevin Sheedy can make racist comments, and racially vilify players without any type of retribution?

It is indeed, a "special" sport, living in a bubble of it's own making. The saddest thing is, that they are not held accountable by anyone. ANYONE!!

That f**king inbred mob from down south will do anything to protect their insignificant game. They truly are an embarrassment to this country.

You really brought it home there Suity. :joy:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Yeah the no true Scotsman shit is very annoying (and not just when it comes to AFL).

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The AFL coverage starts with the goal after the siren to win a game..

The NRL coverage starts with Farah getting his head knock...

Highlight the positive in their preferred code and a negative in the other..

It's always been the way with the majority of reporting on rugby league for years.

Dodgy

Juniors
Good acknowledgment of Penrith's win :)

On another note, Melissa Barbieri is a bit of a dope. Whining about Barcelona not sending their women's team on first class flights. Saying their isn't a problem with producing strikers for the Australian soccer team, when the World Cup performance would suggest otherwise. She's an idiot.

taipan

Referee
Interesting ,last Monday morning I sent off a blistering e-mail to the ABC re complaints and specifically the Offsiders and their slack treatment of rugby league.Their slavish praise of the AFL at the beginning and the negatives associated with the NRL.And the domination of AFL tragics on the panel.

To my utter surprise today,they lead in with the NRL and Penrith's comeback, plus the Storm etc.
Coincidence? Who knows.
Possibly other complaints by NRL fans into the mix may well have helped.

Let's hope it's not just a one off ,to placate rl fans ,and they go back to the AFL bootlicking.

Interesting Kelly Underarms wasn't comparing ,so that may be the answer.

Interesting ,last Monday morning I sent off a blistering e-mail to the ABC re complaints and specifically the Offsiders and their slack treatment of rugby league.Their slavish praise of the AFL at the beginning and the negatives associated with the NRL.And the domination of AFL tragics on the panel.

To my utter surprise today,they lead in with the NRL and Penrith's comeback, plus the Storm etc.
Coincidence? Who knows.
Possibly other complaints by NRL fans into the mix may well have helped.

Let's hope it's not just a one off ,to placate rl fans ,and they go back to the AFL bootlicking.

Interesting Kelly Underarms wasn't comparing ,so that may be the answer.
maybe they are vying for a Logie and realised to win they new Sydney viewers votes

Vee

First Grade
14 minutes about the fumblers to start then 2.5 minutes on NRL, almost 5 minutes on Netball.

#notmy8centsaday

taipan

Referee
14 minutes about the fumblers to start then 2.5 minutes on NRL, almost 5 minutes on Netball.

#notmy8centsaday

Yep balanced as usual :rolleyes:.Our ABC ,well Victoriania's ABC to be exact.
Our Kels absolutely salivating about the AFL close games, with all the pretty pictures.
Three panel members and Kelly AFL sycophant.Two of their panel member could not contribute one iota ,they knew stuff all about the NRL.The ball headed garden gnome pretended to be knowledgeable.
After 1/4 hour of AFL: bootlicking ,we got 2 minutes of the NRL as an after thought.

So there we have it ladies and gents.the AFL is apparently 7 times as big as the NRL,according to our taxpayer funded broadcasting organisation or national embarrassment.

Headless Chook

Juniors

#notmy8centsaday
I missed the first 10 minutes but can confirm only 2 and a bit minutes were dedicated to RL. I thought at the very least a token mention of the new immortals inductees would have been worth a mention, but no. More important to show endless repeats of some dickhead missing a kick at some sticks.

I should know better than to put myself through this shit but I can’t help myself.

Never forget that there are people in the media who are on the Vicky Kicky pay roll
Yep balanced as usual :rolleyes:.Our ABC ,well Victoriania's ABC to be exact.
Our Kels absolutely salivating about the AFL close games, with all the pretty pictures.
Three panel members and Kelly AFL sycophant.Two of their panel member could not contribute one iota ,they knew stuff all about the NRL.The ball headed garden gnome pretended to be knowledgeable.
After 1/4 hour of AFL: bootlicking ,we got 2 minutes of the NRL as an after thought.

So there we have it ladies and gents.the AFL is apparently 7 times as big as the NRL,according to our taxpayer funded broadcasting organisation or national embarrassment.

#notmy8centsaday
Its beyond why Rugby League fans watch this fumbleball dross