What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old rule query

T-Boon

Coach
In the old days did you get the scrum feed if you were tackled into touch?

A couple days ago I was watching 1980 commonwealth bank cup final (Benny Elias Holy Cross Ryde v Ivan Henjak St Gregorys) on Youtube and I saw this. Also I am pretty sure I saw it during the 80s games Fox was replaying during the off season.

Interesting old rule if it was the case.

LineBall

Juniors
In the old days did you get the scrum feed if you were tackled into touch?

A couple days ago I was watching 1980 commonwealth bank cup final (Benny Elias Holy Cross Ryde v Ivan Henjak St Gregorys) on Youtube and I saw this. Also I am pretty sure I saw it during the 80s games Fox was replaying during the off season.

Interesting old rule if it was the case.

It used to be the feed was determined by the position of the scrum on the field. So if you had possession in your own half and tackled into touch, or knocked on, or were tackled on the last - then you would get the feed. Sounds bizarre but you have to remember the scrums weren't a foregone conclusion like they are today.

T-Boon

Coach
It used to be the feed was determined by the position of the scrum on the field. So if you had possession in your own half and tackled into touch, or knocked on, or were tackled on the last - then you would get the feed. Sounds bizarre but you have to remember the scrums weren't a foregone conclusion like they are today.

thanks.

kdalymc

Bench
If it was the last tackle, and your in your own half. Couldn’t you just run out?
Yeah I know we fed it in the middle, but surely there was greater chance of winning it

DIOGENES

Juniors
The feed was one thing but how was the loose head determined? In contested scrums this was of significance

DIOGENES

Juniors
Thinking about it l guess the old rule had an inbuilt incentive for a straight feed. If you were pinged on the feed the opposite team was in good position for a penalty goal.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i prefer the early 1940's where if you went into touch, both teams would ro-sham-bo for the ball..

kdalymc

Bench
In under nines were used to have a three-man chicken scratch

Only on a double knock on though

T-Boon

Coach
If it was the last tackle, and your in your own half. Couldn’t you just run out?
Yeah I know we fed it in the middle, but surely there was greater chance of winning it

they use to do attacking kicks in their own half a lot. So you had guys like Mortimer who would chip kick and that was 50/50 as well but if it comes off you are on the attack. It was a very unpredictable game at one point in time (pre 10 metres).

T-Boon

Coach
FYI that Commonwealth Bank cup game I mentioned with Benny Elias v Ivan Henjak (and Mick Potter) is worth a look the whole thing is on youtube. The game was great back then.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Thinking about it l guess the old rule had an inbuilt incentive for a straight feed. If you were pinged on the feed the opposite team was in good position for a penalty goal.
This is why the differential penalty was introduced. Scrum after scrum ended in a shot for goal and the stoppages in play were lengthy. It is still in the rules but not often seen nowadays.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Does anyone know what a kicking dual was all about?
I remember them for a short period after the end of unlimited tackles when I was very young and commentators saying it was a return to the 1930s.

The last I heard of it was Roy and HG describing Alan Jones time at Balmain. Apparently he wanted to bring back kicking duals and the old criss-cross on the tap kick

TheFrog

Coach
Does anyone know what a kicking dual was all about?
I remember them for a short period after the end of unlimited tackles when I was very young and commentators saying it was a return to the 1930s.

The last I heard of it was Roy and HG describing Alan Jones time at Balmain. Apparently he wanted to bring back kicking duals and the old criss-cross on the tap kick
You used to be allowed to send players downfield ahead of the kick, provided they remained 10 yards from the ball receiver. They would make a ring of players around the receiver, so the receiver would sometimes kick. The downtown rule was brought in, which made it illegal for players from the team in possession to be in front of the play-the-ball and that ended it.

kdalymc

Bench
You used to be allowed to send players downfield ahead of the kick, provided they remained 10 yards from the ball receiver. They would make a ring of players around the receiver, so the receiver would sometimes kick. The downtown rule was brought in, which made it illegal for players from the team in possession to be in front of the play-the-ball and that ended it.
How’s that work with a kicking duel tho, if you just keep kicking there’s no play the ball?

Mr Spock!

Referee
How’s that work with a kicking duel tho, if you just keep kicking there’s no play the ball?

Nope....everyone stood around and waited for them to kick....

Kick for field position.

Sometimes it went on for 5 or more kicks until someone got it who wasn't a good kicker and they decided to run it.

Bit like the ol forcie back at school.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Actually I remember even as junior one coach said as soon as we get the ball from the kick off to boot it.

Latest posts