What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old School RL Grounds

1st & 10

Juniors
As you may know, I love my RL history and researched it extensively via my own experiences, antecdotes and old fashion research. One thing I love and most of us love suburban football, rather than these concrete jungles.

I loved watching three grounds at these old grounds and even spend a few years researching the history of the old suburban grounds. Three grades, one day with only the same two sides. Grounds like

Sydney sports ground. My fav and not much info photos around. Very historic and stood where the now SFS car park is. The SCG 2 was located on the SFS site

The old SCG . Too many stories and trivia. I highly recommend the tour

Henson Park - car park and Manfreds toss over the stand. Good effort for a non QB.

Cumberland Oval (burnt down 81).

Pratten park. Beautiful old ground, much untouched other than a new toilet block etc

Lidcombe oval (the massive goal posts)

north Sydney oval. A smaller version of the old SCG which now has the old 'Bob Stand' from the SCG.

The old Jubilee Oval. Too many to mention. The old red V coloured seats, the old hil bubbler used by James etc

Belmore sports ground (always got spat on running on and off the field from above the entry cage at the tunnel entrance). The place is an echo chamber and everyone can hear everything in the dressing rooms

Old Leichhardt oval (which was east/west) the now behind posts old Barnes stand was the main stand at half way

Shark Park (or whatever it's called this week) sinking into the Degoba swamp

Each ground has a unique link to the red V and the supporters. The history and tradition. The old change rooms where you can hear the half time rants behind the stands. Smell the lovely dencorub, heat the "doubles on the main game". The nice old peanut seller man on the hill at Jubilee

In fact a lot of the time, our fans out number the home team

When we used the SCG in 86-87. The 1st grade used the main sheds and the lower grades used the secret dressing rooms under the Churchill Stand

I remember semi final change room blues with the SFS, who got the home change rooms. Anyone who has not been in the SFS change rooms, the home one has great spa bath and rehab pool and rooms etc and a large warm up area. Compared to the away change rooms which resembles a high school gym change room

What are your memories of any of the great old grounds

Emu01

Juniors
My mum used to play tennis at Marickville hard courts when I was a kid.. The tennis courts backed onto Henson Park. We used to play on Henson park all day while mum played tennis.. when I grew up I played Jersey flegg for the dragons and we played Easts at Henson Park I managed to score a try at Henson that day. Great memories.

I also remember playing at the sports ground against Easts.All the Grandstand was built out of timber. No concrete jungle there. You could feel the nostalgia when you walked into the change rooms..

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
No mention of Redfern oval. Used to go there a lot as a kid because i had a few mates who were Souths fans. As a spectator it always seemed you were a hell of a lot closer to the action at Redfern.

Smack

Coach
Best memories at Kogarah, but lots of memories at belmore, redfern, henson, north sydney oval, campeltown. shark park should be submerged in swamp water tbh

We really need to stop using SFS and Homebush for midseason games. We won't fiill them up, use them for Anzac day and finals

Old Timer

Coach
As you may know, I love my RL history and researched it extensively via my own experiences, antecdotes and old fashion research. One thing I love and most of us love suburban football, rather than these concrete jungles.

I loved watching three grounds at these old grounds and even spend a few years researching the history of the old suburban grounds. Three grades, one day with only the same two sides. Grounds like

Sydney sports ground. My fav and not much info photos around. Very historic and stood where the now SFS car park is. The SCG 2 was located on the SFS site

The old SCG . Too many stories and trivia. I highly recommend the tour

Henson Park - car park and Manfreds toss over the stand. Good effort for a non QB.

Cumberland Oval (burnt down 81).

Pratten park. Beautiful old ground, much untouched other than a new toilet block etc

Lidcombe oval (the massive goal posts)

north Sydney oval. A smaller version of the old SCG which now has the old 'Bob Stand' from the SCG.

The old Jubilee Oval. Too many to mention. The old red V coloured seats, the old hil bubbler used by James etc

Belmore sports ground (always got spat on running on and off the field from above the entry cage at the tunnel entrance). The place is an echo chamber and everyone can hear everything in the dressing rooms

Old Leichhardt oval (which was east/west) the now behind posts old Barnes stand was the main stand at half way

Shark Park (or whatever it's called this week) sinking into the Degoba swamp

Each ground has a unique link to the red V and the supporters. The history and tradition. The old change rooms where you can hear the half time rants behind the stands. Smell the lovely dencorub, heat the "doubles on the main game". The nice old peanut seller man on the hill at Jubilee

In fact a lot of the time, our fans out number the home team

When we used the SCG in 86-87. The 1st grade used the main sheds and the lower grades used the secret dressing rooms under the Churchill Stand

I remember semi final change room blues with the SFS, who got the home change rooms. Anyone who has not been in the SFS change rooms, the home one has great spa bath and rehab pool and rooms etc and a large warm up area. Compared to the away change rooms which resembles a high school gym change room

What are your memories of any of the great old grounds
Great post.
Have been to all those grounds and have lots of memories of all of them withy Pratten being one of my favourites.
I live close by it and have called in a few times and reminisced the day I went there with my Dad to see the Saints run out for the first time ever.
I have posted this before but I remember Wests coming out and remarked how big they were and dad said "Wait till the Saints come out son" Then Sticks ran out in that magnificent white jersey with the big Red V and I was hooked for life.
One ground that I could add was the old Showground behind the SCG.
Saints played a number of games there over the years even back in the 60's and it had its very own feel and atmosphere despite the proximity to the SCG and Sports Ground.
I have to say all the suburban grounds with the original jerseys is a memory that would be very hard to beat.

Old Timer

Coach
Didn't the showground hold the first ever Sunday game in 1966 ( Dragons v Balmain ? )
I remember being at that game (either Raper or Smith under the posts on the stroke of full time for the win) and another game V Souths when Ryan was sent off after getting into a punch up after someone rubbed his ears while he played the ball and a few others games but evidently RL was played there very early on.
Hopefully the link below works and it gives a bit of a run down.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Showground_(Moore_Park)
I'll have look and see for the St Geioiorge games played there as I know there is a link somewhere for that as well.

Old Timer

Coach
Looks like this link didn't work so tis is the extract from it.

Football[edit]

The showground was the venue for the first game of rugby football sanctioned by the breakway New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership, essentially the first game of rugby league in Australia. Played by a New South Wales team against New Zealand's rebel 1907 tourists, it attracted a sellout crowd of approximately 20,000. After that the Agricultural Ground hosted the first ever interstate matches between New South Wales and Queensland.

Sydney's Royal Agricultural Showground was then venue for the first Ashes test on Australian soil.[3] The showground also became the venue for the NSWRFL's grand finals until the late 1920s, and eventually hosted 183 first grade rugby league games.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Didn't the showground hold the first ever Sunday game in 1966 ( Dragons v Balmain ? )

Sorry to contradict you. Denis!
What you are referring to was the first Sunday game at the SCG, June 19th, 1966. There was nothing unusual about Sunday games by1966 but it was something new for the SCG. The game drew an enormous crowd, 55934. I was a pretty dejected kid on the way home with the Saints losing 10-3. Keith Barnes as always had his kicking boots on that day.

(Source other than memory: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1966/balmain/summary.html)

I can recall in the Sharks first or second season watching them play Souths at Sutherland Oval. They were pretty much buried by the Bunnies that day, quite fitting given the proximity of Sutherland Cemetery. I could ad, as my mother aged, on her off days she would threaten me that she would be soon "catching the train to Sutherland". This was a euphemism for dying. In the old days funeral trains took coffins from the mortuary station between Central and Redfern to Sutherland and Rookwood Cemeteries.

One of my most exciting footy memories comes from Hurstville Oval, 1960. It was a Rugby match between South Harbour and Fiji before a crowd of 10,000+. Can't recall the result but it was an absolutely electrifying game with the Fijians having such an ability to toss the ball around Harlem Globetrotter style and the atmosphere created by the tightly packed crowd.

There is no comparison to the modern game day experience at the Olympic Stadium or the SCG at 6pm on a Friday evening. Who cares about improved toilet or corporate facilities? It is the footy and the atmosphere at the ground that create the special memories.

merahputih

Juniors
What you are referring to was the first Sunday game at the SCG, June 19th, 1966. There was nothing unusual about Sunday games by1966 but it was something new for the SCG. The game drew an enormous crowd, 55934. I was a pretty dejected kid on the way home with the Saints losing 10-3. Keith Barnes as always had his kicking boots on that day.

(Source other than memory: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1966/balmain/summary.html)

I can recall in the Sharks first or second season watching them play Souths at Sutherland Oval. They were pretty much buried by the Bunnies that day, quite fitting given the proximity of Sutherland Cemetery. I could ad, as my mother aged, on her off days she would threaten me that she would be soon "catching the train to Sutherland". This was a euphemism for dying. In the old days funeral trains took coffins from the mortuary station between Central and Redfern to Sutherland and Rookwood Cemeteries.

One of my most exciting footy memories comes from Hurstville Oval, 1960. It was a Rugby match between South Harbour and Fiji before a crowd of 10,000+. Can't recall the result but it was an absolutely electrifying game with the Fijians having such an ability to toss the ball around Harlem Globetrotter style and the atmosphere created by the tightly packed crowd.

There is no comparison to the modern game day experience at the Olympic Stadium or the SCG at 6pm on a Friday evening. Who cares about improved toilet or corporate facilities? It is the footy and the atmosphere at the ground that create the special memories.
Great memories. "Getting off at Redfern" used to mean something too, but I can't remember what.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I remember being at that game (either Raper or Smith under the posts on the stroke of full time for the win) and another game V Souths when Ryan was sent off after getting into a punch up after someone rubbed his ears while he played the ball and a few others games but evidently RL was played there very early on.
Hopefully the link below works and it gives a bit of a run down.
I'll have look and see for the St Geioiorge games played there as I know there is a link somewhere for that as well.

OT, I have checked back through the 1960s and the first game that I can see that the Saints played at the Showground was against Souths on May 22nd, 1966. Saints won 33-5.

As I have already posted, the Sunday game the next month vs the Tigers was the first Sunday match played at the SCG. It was won by Balmain 10-3. Dick Huddart scored the only try while Keith Barnes kicked 5 goals.

Perhaps the game you were thinking of was that of July 15th, 1967. A crowd of 23,728 saw the Saints beat the Tigers 15 - 13. I can recall watching a game at the Showground from this era but cannot remember the opponents. It was probably this game.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, I have checked back through the 1960s and the first game that I can see that the Saints played at the Showground was against Souths on May 22nd, 1966. Saints won 33-5.

As I have already posted, the Sunday game the next month vs the Tigers was the first Sunday match played at the SCG. It was won by Balmain 10-3. Dick Huddart scored the only try while Keith Barnes kicked 5 goals.

Perhaps the game you were thinking of was that of July 15th, 1967. A crowd of 23,728 saw the Saints beat the Tigers 15 - 13. I can recall watching a game at the Showground from this era but cannot remember the opponents. It was probably this game.
For sure you could be correct
I had posted a year or so ago re our appearances at the Showground hopefully I can find it
The score line in that game you mentioned certainly would fit the bill of a last minute win
With no disrespect to the younger fans back in those days it was incredibly different and the tribal nature of it all regardless of which club was palpable

1st & 10

Juniors
My mum used to play tennis at Marickville hard courts when I was a kid.. The tennis courts backed onto Henson Park. We used to play on Henson park all day while mum played tennis.. when I grew up I played Jersey flegg for the dragons and we played Easts at Henson Park I managed to score a try at Henson that day. Great memories.

I also remember playing at the sports ground against Easts.All the Grandstand was built out of timber. No concrete jungle there. You could feel the nostalgia when you walked into the change rooms..

Never played at the sports ground (too young). What were the change rooms like at the old ground ?

Old Timer

Coach
Never played at the sports ground (too young). What were the change rooms like at the old ground ?
Played there in the very early 80's and it was pretty spartan
The home sheds had far better showers but don't dilly dally getting to them but the visitors shed would make you wish you had been sent for an early shower as enough hot water for the ball boy and that's it
Had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of playing at the SCG no 2 and interesting it's dead ball line was curved due to the lack of length from the corner post.
As it was a car park for the main ground if it rained on that day the tyres would make ridges which would dry rock hard and be like a razor blade

Gareth67

First Grade
Great memories. "Getting off at Redfern" used to mean something too, but I can't remember what.

Come on you little rascal ! I am sure that your memory is not that bad ?
If you got off at Redfern , it would be a much easier walk up to the infamous Bat & Ball Hotel .

Old Timer

Coach
Played there in the very early 80's and it was pretty spartan
The home sheds had far better showers but don't dilly dally getting to them but the visitors shed would make you wish you had been sent for an early shower as enough hot water for the ball boy and that's it
Had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of playing at the SCG no 2 and interesting it's dead ball line was curved due to the lack of length from the corner post.
As it was a car park for the main ground if it rained on that day the tyres would make ridges which would dry rock hard and be like a razor blade
Maybe Late 70's even the old memory like the body ain't what it used to be.

merahputih

Juniors
Come on you little rascal ! I am sure that your memory is not that bad ?
If you got off at Redfern , it would be a much easier walk up to the infamous Bat & Ball Hotel .
The Bat & Ball was our pub of choice before the Sat. Match of the Day in those days. On one occasion Dragons were not involved and we never made it to the ground, listened in the pub on radio instead.

denis preston

First Grade

Yes, well done DS I recall now ! Yes the SCG and of course they started playing Sunday games what a decade or two before ?

Gareth67

First Grade
The Bat & Ball was our pub of choice before the Sat. Match of the Day in those days. On one occasion Dragons were not involved and we never made it to the ground, listened in the pub on radio instead.

Yes , I was accidentally held up there myself on one occasion. We , my buddies and I ,
went to the Sydney Test match against the old enemy back in the 70's and stop there the night before the game , cannot recall where I slept , but was able to watch Changa put on a magic step to help Australia win the match . Went straight home after the game and slept forever .