What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old WARL Clubs

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I was disappointed that the Reds "reserve" squad idea never really happened. ie players from over East that didn't make the Reds first team would be spread throughout the WARL strenghening the lower WARL teams. Guess it was a question of money and not being able to keep the Eastern based players here with no 1st team place?

we had 2 Reds fringe players

Not all those now-extinct WARL teams existed in the days of the Western Reds, but a fair percentage did.

I remember reading about 8 years ago that there was 16 teams in the WARL in 1995, and only 6 by 2000 (if that indeed was the year I read this). 10 teams disappeared virtually overnight.

I didn't even know there was a Wanneroo team until about 6 months ago when I was talking to some former players much older than I. They told me the colours and nickname the team had, but I forget what they were now. I have a feeling they might've been blue and gold, but I don't know. I never saw that team in it's existence.

they were called Wannaroo-Scarborough Roos, they were Yellow & Blue, ive got one of there jerseys in my wardrobe, i've also got a mosman cottesloe jersey

Nuke

Staff member
Thanks for that Joondalup_Giant.
I know you've got a Mossie-Cott jersey, because I've seen the photos Greeny put up on Facebook from Mad Monday! I figured it was your dad's.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
just thought i'd make this in2 a seperate thread as it was taking away from the prestige of South Perths premiership! :p

b0rt

Juniors
Thanks for that Joondalup_Giant.
I know you've got a Mossie-Cott jersey, because I've seen the photos Greeny put up on Facebook from Mad Monday! I figured it was your dad's.

i assumed that was an old wests jersey
looks like u boys had fun on mad monday
but then, thats the idea
really should occur more often though....

Alehana

Juniors
where did mosman park/cott used to train, was it harvey field, the rugby union club trains there now, i've been down there a few times when i played union, would be nice to sill have that club.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I forgot about the Midland Gators! I miss the old WARL clubs :(

The mighty Armadale Rabbitohs, I still have a few jersey's floating around....somewhere.

171470_logoIMG.jpg

Nuke

Staff member
They don't ring any bells with me. I remember vaguely there being a Midland team, but I wouldn't've guessed their moniker.

I'd be very interested in seeing a complete list of clubs -current and former- who've existed within the WARL banner. I also include teams like Brothers who (a black and green team, not Kalgoorlie) existed only in the 3rd grade comp up until the end of 2004. I would also be interested in seeing what these teams' logos/monikers were and knowing what colours they were.

I have found this on the WARL website. It's a brief history of the WARL and RL in WA in general. http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/history/index.php
It's perhaps a bit too brief, but mentions some interesting teams that I didn't know existed (Palmyra*, 'Northern Suburbs', Perth, Mt.Pleasant, Nedlands*, Balmoral, Hellenic, Azzurri, Nollamarra/Balga, Bayswater Kiwis, ect).

* These teams came across to League from union.

b0rt

Juniors
I forgot about the Midland Gators! I miss the old WARL clubs :(

The mighty Armadale Rabbitohs, I still have a few jersey's floating around....somewhere.

171470_logoIMG.jpg

the WARL has a sack full of them they use during primary school gala days
they also have a heap of sorrento ones

j5o6hn

Juniors
Applecross played in the old Newtown colours when I was following Canning,started playing in the old Vic park club back in the 60s,they played in the blue and white Canterbury Colours

k

Nuke

Staff member
Applecross -from memory- were the Jets, so it would make sense they were in Newtown colours and Newtown-style jerseys. I thought they were blue, white, and yellow though? Probably not. I'll take your word for it J5o6hn!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Palmyra RU switched across with 2 other RU clubs in the 50's, they were thre for 3 years before switching back.

Apprently the dispute to drive them back was between the WARL wanting to centralise revenue, and these clubs wanting to keep their own bar and gate takings.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Palmyra RU switched across with 2 other RU clubs in the 50's, they were thre for 3 years before switching back.

Apprently the dispute to drive them back was between the WARL wanting to centralise revenue, and these clubs wanting to keep their own bar and gate takings.

How sad. I bet Geoff Baldwin wouldn't mind them back in the WARL.

Can't some of these rah rah clubs become dual clubs like they have in the UK?

b0rt

Juniors
How sad. I bet Geoff Baldwin wouldn't mind them back in the WARL.

Can't some of these rah rah clubs become dual clubs like they have in the UK?

actually during a bye a whole heap of palmyra boys came across and played in the U20s comp so they kinda did
thus contributing to our first (of 2) loss :(
players stuck in ridiculous traffic didnt help either (2 hours from north beach to south perth!)