What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldest Dragon

Rexxy

Coach
At 98, Joe is more than 2.5 times older than some clubs with 38 years of "history".

8 November 2004

St George's oldest living player, 98-year-old JOE SHARP, is still fighting fit and earned a hearty round of applause for his longevity at the Grand Final lunch.

Joe, a second rower for the Dragons in the late 20s and early 30s, will celebrate 76 years of holy union to wife Violet on the Central Coast on November 17.

"I feel like I have another couple of years left in me," Joe said at the Lunch, where Prime Minister John Howard and Labor leader Mark Latham raised a glass to him.

"I had one beer today," added the former railway worker.

"I'm under strict instruction from the wife not to drink, but I always had a couple of schooners every day when I was working – two was enough." Still as sharp as a tack and remarkably nimble, he bypassed the lift for the stairs as he left the club unassisted.

The couple's daughter, Bev Lawrence, recently discovered the above picture of the 1931 First-Grade side taken at Earl Park (St George vs North Sydney).

Joe is the one wearing headgear.

1931first-Grade.jpg

http://www.stgeorge.org.au/news/static/article_82.asp

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In Ian Head's book, it has Ernie Lapham as living in a Brisbane nursing home in 1999. At age 97, he was generally recognised as the only surviving member of the first team in 1921. Sounds like he has passed away.

Its great to put a pic to the profile. Well done Joe Sharp.
1931_sharp_1.jpg

G

gorilla

T-Rex said:
Joe is the one wearing headgear.

No wonder he's still around..
BTW, any ideas on the first appearance of headgear ?
Could be a sevens hysterical ?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Depends what you call head gear. I've dried my hair with more than what young Joseph had in those days.

drake

First Grade
What a mighty old Dragon.

I have to say, I love that old strip with the emblem in the middle of the V, I always have.
Away jersey? :mrgreen:

Rexxy

Coach
Yeah Trolling a history/legacy thread. Pure S :roll:

But have pity on him Willow. I do. He's obviously had to repeat a few years with old Brother Stan down at Cronulla De La....

MightySharks said:
Hi Sharks fans new here this is my first post, lived in Shire my hole life 27ys old, go to around 20 games a year, season seat holder 5yrs Sharks supporter for life Dragons disliker also for life.

LOL @ "hole life". Yep, you're life's a hole all right. Donut Boy.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
You leave the forum for a few months to try and concentrate on the cricket, and when you come back you find d***head trolls like this, who can't spell, can't use grammer, and obviously didn't pass year 6 english, have invaded the Dragons threads.

*sigh*

The world never changes #-o

thommo4pm

Coach
MightySharks said:
The NRL nor I include the old dragons stats in the new steelers club you have no premierships and less than ten years of history

Well better call David Middleton.
Mighty Sharks stats are more important, after all the NRL and him don't include our previous history when talking about St George Illawarra.

Thank goodness Mighty Prick cleared that up for us.
I was worried he was including those stats in our history, I mean his opinion is of so much importance. :roll: :roll:

As I said to you in another thread mighty prick, we may have been around for 7 years as a JV, but we have still made more Grand Finals then Cronulla has in that period. :lol: :lol:

Stop trying to ruin a good heartfelt League story even if you don't like Saints/Dragons or Steelers.

Rexxy

Coach
This thread is about a guy who played for us in 1931.

Stop hijacking the thread you "27 year old" moron.

thommo4pm

Coach
MightySharks said:
Drew-Sta said:
You leave the forum for a few months to try and concentrate on the cricket, and when you come back you find d***head trolls like this, who can't spell, can't use grammer, and obviously didn't pass year 6 english, have invaded the Dragons threads.

*sigh*

The world never changes #-o
All I want is an answer stop tippy toeing around it. Have you accepted the merger?

I've accepted it, have you accepted that your club has not won a first grade premiership in it's history? Almost 40 years and won nothing.
How are you going to feel being known as the Central Coast Sharks or the Perth Sharks in a few years time.

et

Juniors
MightySharks, drop it. Rex sort of invited it with his first post, but this thread is about football. Here's a tip, stay out of this Dragons forum, and read the other forums for a while and see how people act. Then if you really must, come back in a few months with some new material. And I'm saying that as a Sharks fan, and even occasional troll.

Rexxy

Coach
et said:
MightySharks, drop it. Rex sort of invited it with his first post, .....

ET .. How could you? (sniff) I was talking about Penrith. Appreciate your words of wisdom to the lad. But he seems quite dense.

just on Hollywood, I had a little to do with him , and if you asked me "did he have it in him to throw a game", I'd have to answer....

fuggin oath. You were robbed. But I'd never admit that in public :)

thommo4pm

Coach
MightySharks said:
I've accepted it, have you accepted that your club has not won a first grade premiership in it's history? Almost 40 years and won nothing.
How are you going to feel being known as the Central Coast Sharks or the Perth Sharks in a few years time
Ofcouse I have accepted it is a fact, as is the fact that you are a merged club with two home grounds it seems most "Dragons" fans do not accept this fact and show arrogance to the old steelers fans.We may have not won a comp a fact which will change unfortunately you will forever be known as the St George Ilawarra Steelers

You think because you are going on about a merged club you know football?
You are making yourself out to be one massive idiot.
We are known as the St George Illawarra Dragons you idiot. Those stupid comments don't annoy us fool, we've all heard it before.

Do you think we are going to worry about somebody like you with very limited football knowledge.
The only thing I have seen you write is that we are now a merged club.
Please enlighten us with more powerful insights oh great one. [-o<

thommo4pm

Coach
MightySharks said:
MightySharks, drop it. Rex sort of invited it with his first post, but this thread is about football. Here's a tip, stay out of this Dragons forum, and read the other forums for a while and see how people act. Then if you really must, come back in a few months with some new material. And I'm saying that as a Sharks fan, and even occasional troll.

ET I respect your opinion mate but if you look through the sharks forum you will see dragons fans such as Dimitri bagging the sharks consistantly and in this forum you will see threads such as the "The sharks will deliver-Another season of failure"
I am just making the point that sydney dragons fans have not accepted the merger and should do for the good of thier club I am not tring to disrespect the 96yr old great this thread is on.

Well your theory has already been disproved when I stated I am not against the merger. I am from metro Sydney and travel to both grounds. As well as going to the majority of away games.
Let me ask you, do you travel to all your teams games?

Rexxy

Coach
MightySharks said:
ET I respect your opinion mate but if you look through the sharks forum you will see dragons fans such as Dimitri bagging the sharks consistantly and in this forum you will see threads such as the "The sharks will deliver-Another season of failure"
I am just making the point that sydney dragons fans have not accepted the merger and should do for the good of thier club I am not tring to disrespect the 96yr old great this thread is on.

hey lollipoper!

Dimitri doesn't post here.... Go bang your two bit pork bun of a brain in the International Section or the FFB. Although the later will test your mosquito like intellect.

A good thread trashed. Mighty Shark, the fact that dimitri is a twat doesn't make you right to go around stuffing up decent threads.

Best of luck to Joe, hope he gets to the ton at the least - maybe the wife will let him have two beers for that.

Latest posts