Oldest junior club

Discussion in 'Sports Trivia' started by brook, Jul 18, 2003.

1. innsaneink

innsaneink Referee

Yeah, Mascot Park... its close to the airport...O-Riordan & Coward St's I think..on the corner there...not a bad ground for juniors , grandstand etc not many have that

2. Alan Shore

Alan Shore First Grade

What were the first junior clubs in WA, SA, VIC, QLD, NT, TAS?

3. keg

keg Juniors

Wentworthville was established in 1913 for Parra juniors

4. Bluebag

Bluebag Juniors

A Marrickville team was in 1908 actually, I have seen a club photo with that date on it.

5. Jeffles

Jeffles Bench

Camperdown Dragons were founded in 1910.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Juniors

My dad played for wanderers.

Yeh, glad you know that I bet ;-)

7. Southern Rooster

Southern Rooster Bench

Bondi United was in 1946

8. mightybears

mightybears Bench

for norths juniors

Earliest records indicate there was a Crows Nest JRLFC in 1913 with A grade being runners up in the competition. The first recorded premiership was B grade in 1921. Up until 1984 Crows Nest had won 29 premierships throughout the club in various grades. In the 1950s they won 6 consecutive Club Championships. Up until 1949 the club colours were black and white but then changed to red white and blue. Known as the Roosters.

9. Booyah

Booyah Bench

As far as I know, Mascot in the Souths comp is the oldest Junior League club.

This is based on records etc, not on hearsay i.e. My dads' Uncles' brothers' fathers' Pop played for 'X' in 1909.

10. PAGEY

PAGEY Juniors

Go the Wanderers!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p
    I currently play for them and yeah im pretty sure they were a foundation club

11. brendothejet

brendothejet First Grade

Mascot love to tout themselves as the oldest junior club in the universe.

Either way as stated they have had periods of innactivity and when on the field they are generally merkins.

One of the more despised games of the season is against Mascot.

Last year there was about 20 blokes on the hill swearing their heads of at us.

end result:

newtown jets 50 Mascot jets 4

go.and.get.f**ked.

12. Booyah

Booyah Bench

Absolutely. Mascot are a pack of Knobs. It's common knowledge that teams in the comp traditionally fire up when they play the Jets, especially teams like South Eastern, Kensington and La Perouse because there is nothing better then belting the Jets at Mascot in front of their own crowd on their own turf.

And for the record, they're just as big a bunch of merkins off the field as they are on it. Particularly some of their officials.

13. H.H

H.H Juniors

The Clovelly Crocodile, an Easts junior club celebrate their 100th season in 2017.

Great achievement.

14. Leigh Howlett

Leigh Howlett Juniors

Is this a LU record for time between posts?, 11 & 1/2 years and still no known winner!.

15. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

Reckon you will need to look at junior clubs that played under the Rugby League banner in the first year of the Sydney comp - 1908. The point will be have they remained in existence every year since.

16. rightleftin

rightleftin Juniors

An interesting one is Penrith United, started in the Western Districts League in 1912. They won the C Grade in 1945 with Merv Cartwright in the team and started winning Parramatta A Grade titles in the 50's and 60's. They entered the new NSWRL 2nd Division in 1964 and a few years later were playing at the highest level. The elevation to district club status meant that the junior club were then to be known as Penrith Waratahs. So they are both an old junior club and the genesis of an NRL club.

17. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

I think you could say the same about Canterbury and St George, both lower grade sides for Western Suburbs before gaining entry in the top grade. Someone would need to look into it.

18. rightleftin

rightleftin Juniors

Western Suburbs had several comps under their control - apart from their own league centred on Ashfield, they also controlled the Western Districts league from Lidcombe to Richmond and the St George comp. By 1922 the Canterbury comp split out of St George comp and about the same time the Southern Metropolitan from Merrylands to Picton split out of the Western Districts league.

Campsie won the St George B Grade in 1909 or 1911?. Other teams to play in St George before the Canterbury comp started were Belmore Black and Whites, Belmore Rockley, Bankstown United, Punchbowl Waratahs and Belmore Federals but none of those clubs lasted.

The St George comp included teams from "the shire" with Sutherland Loftus still existing and established in 1913.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017