What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Melbourne...

CyberKev

Staff member
I know I've had a bit of fun at the Demons' expense this week, but I do think there's been a fair degree of overreaction to the club based on a single game.

Reasoned observers would expect that Melbourne has clear flaws that need to be worked through and it is noted that painfully few people were rushing to put the Demons in their predicted final 8's for this season.

I harbor some doubts as to the real extent of Melbourne's available talent, but the club's problems transcend this and have been decades, not weeks or months, in the making.

For any club to be successful, it has to be equipped to marry a strong level of available talent with associated quantities of grit (which is effectively just shorthand for physical and mental fortitude). Melbourne has rarely been seen as being well served in this latter area, except for during the John Northey years of the late eighties and early nineties when, unfortunately for Demon tragics, the club came up short for depth of genuine talent.

Yes, I'm saying there's a good deal of residual softness to this club, which reflects the decades of limited success experienced by Melbourne, but cannot be solely attributed to this lack of success. Both St Kilda and the Bulldogs have also endured lengthy unsuccessful stints, but - for the most part - I've rarely associated this with lack of fortitude, but moreso with limited available talent.

I well remember attending the round 1 game involving Melbourne in 2002. Melbourne won in a thriller, in a match where Demons' star David Neitz cleaned-up Hawk defender Luke McCabe, leaving him with a badly injured shoulder. There was much self-congratulation among Neitz and the Melbourne players over this incident, with Mike Sheahan writing a backpage piece the following day glorifying Neitz and waxing lyrical about the new tough and hard Demons.

I had no problem with the Neitz hit, which was fair, and the Hawk player was just unlucky to receive such a bad injury. I did have a problem, however, with a situation involving one of the biggest Melbourne players cleaning up the smallest Hawk player (focused head down over the ball) as being lauded as incontrovertible evidence of a club having metamorphosed into a hard and tough new unit. It was embarrassing and cringeworthy stuff.

Not surprisingly it was also well wide of the mark, as Melbourne is still struggling to find adequate levels of fortitude a decade later.

For all this, its a bit rich to be going so hard at Mark Neeld and essentially writing him off entirely after a single game played in anger. It appears difficult for the AFL media to function from week-to-week without aggressively generating perceived crisis after perceived crisis to gorge upon. Sometimes it turns out that the hysteria was warranted, but more often than not it doesn't.

I'd want to be giving him quite a few more games yet before passing judgment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree.

I think it was politically correct but some clubs want to be seen to be politically correct and so they over react.

Could have been handled in house without the media circus.

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

I presume you're talking about the Indigenous players issue, or perhaps non-issue would be closer to the mark, here Twizz?

Its certainly something Neeld could have done without right now.

Poor effort from Mifsud. You should keep this sort of stuff well clear of the media before you can substantiate it. And to take it to Grant Thomas, of all people, in the first instance.

Thomas is the Mark Latham of the AFL media; left bitter and twisted on account of his own experiences with the game, and champing at the bit to bring anyone and everyone down to soothe his own fragile ego.

Thomas won't light a woodfire to warm things up when he can ignite a bushfire and this gave him ample ammunition to continue an already speculative and overtly aggressive attack on Neeld that he began on the weekend.

Its another product of the obsession with media sensationalism. Both clubs and the AFL have developed this tendency to jump at shadows and make a bigger deal of issues than need be the case.

The Andrew Lovett matter was case in point. He's not a figure that will ever generate much public sympathy, but the fact was that he was smashed by both the AFL and St Kilda and proven guilty in the court of public opinion BEFORE he was found innocent by a court of law!

It is a clear fault of the AFL that it prefers to be seen to be acting in an expedient and forceful manner than to be seen as acting in a considered and appropriate manner on key issues.

CyberKev

Staff member
Great win for the club, against all odds, on the weekend.

I note in this morning's press that the Melbourne President has seen a need to defend the club's celebrations following the final siren.

I thought their response was apt, understandable and good to see.

You don't want to see OTT celebrations happening routinely during the H&A season, but they are needed in certain circumstances. We don't want clubs going the Sheedy "there'll be no singing of the club song until we win the flag" route.

I missed the game itself, but tuned in to a Foxtel replay, during the closing minutes, purely to see how the Demons reacted. I thought the scenes were great , from players and supporters.

After the start to the season they've had, I say good luck to them. The players are not automatons and nor would we ant them to be.