What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

once again Ch9 ignores Rugby League out sode NSW and QLD re Origin

Nuke

Staff member
If possible, i would love a source (if any) to that.
Sorry mate, it was only a small article that you could blink and miss it. I just read it on the run and happened to come across it. It was, like I said, about a month or so ago, so there's little to no chance of finding a link for it.

jargan83

Coach
Not to mention the West Australian is notorious for not putting print articles up on their website

BDGS

Bench
Sorry mate, it was only a small article that you could blink and miss it. I just read it on the run and happened to come across it. It was, like I said, about a month or so ago, so there's little to no chance of finding a link for it.

Cheers, no worries.

BDGS

Bench
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ot...perth-missed-out/story-fn4pw13c-1226063386848
SPORTS fans in the United States and across the world were treated to a live viewing of last night's State of Origin clash, but rugby league fans in Perth without Foxtel had to stay up until 10.30pm to see the game.
The decision by Channel 9 Perth to begin coverage of the clash five hours on delay angered the WA Rugby League organisation, which says it is at odds with the growing interest in the game here, especially in the last 12 months.
That renewed interest has placed WA in the box seat to win the 17th licence in the NRL from 2013.
But at 7.30pm last night on Channel Nine, 'David Attenborough's Elephant: A Spy in the Herd' was broadcast instead of the blockbuster NRL clash.
"The fact that we are considered to be the frontrunner to win a franchise - it's unfortunate that it is not live," said mystified WARL chief executive John Sackson yesterday.
As reported on the PerthNow iPad app last night, Sackson acknowledged the importance of the station's news programs but questioned why the game could not be shown at 7.30pm, ensuring more fans, especially families, would be able to tune in for the showcase event.
The development yesterday that film star and South Sydney Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe had orchestrated a deal with American cable sports giant Fox Sports to show all three State of Origin games live into the homes of 40 million people in the United States also baffled the WA league boss.
"No question it is one of the premier sporting events in Australia annually," Maroons fan Sackson said.
People in New Zealand, the Pacific, the United Kingdom, Canada, North Africa, parts of Asia, the Middle East and central and southern Africa were also able to tune in for live broadcasts of last night's game along with all Australian states and territories except South Australia and WA.
That arrangement will continue for the next two Origin games.
"It's extremely disappointing for many rugby league fans in WA and sports fans in general," a bewildered Sackson said.
He believed the State of Origin series was not being treated with the "respect" it deserved.
"I don't think it does Channel Nine any particular good," he said.
The delayed timeslot saw many Perth fans head to pubs or friends' houses who are able to receive the signal of Nine Network-owned and Alice Springs-based Indigenous channel Imparja - which showed it live.
What adds to Sackson's confusion is that Channel Nine Perth is owned by television magnate Bruce Gordon - who is a "big rugby league fan" - and whose company, WIN Television, has the naming rights to the home of reigning NRL premiers St George-Illawarra Dragons.
A spokesman for Channel Nine Perth said showing the State of Origin in earlier timeslots had failed in the past.
"For Nine Perth to show the State of Origin live would mean scheduling the State of Origin at 5.30pm, which would mean pre-empting Nine News and ACA," he said.
"In 2009, Nine Perth trialled showing it at 7.30pm and it did not rate very well at all. The programming of the State of Origin in a 10.30pm timeslot (9pm on WIN in regional WA) is a responsible business decision as our previous ratings figures indicate that Channel Nine’s programming will deliver Nine more viewers than the State of Origin."
Sackson hoped the new NRL would "place a lot of importance" on the development of the game in areas outside its traditional heartlands in the next TV rights deal - that begin in 2014 - to ensure local fans have the opportunity to watch Origin live in the future.
"It's very very disappointing and a bit puzzling," Sackson continued.
"It's live into America for God's sake."
The latest decision over live coverage of major sporting events comes after more than 90% of PerthNow readers indicated a preference for Channel 7 in Perth to follow their state counterparts in showing Friday night AFL football live at 5.30pm on its digital channels.
Fans will be able to log-on to PerthNow for live blog coverage of the remaining two Origin games.

BDGS

Bench
After this story, it seems fairly big, hopefully we might see CH9 forced into change.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Funny thing is when Ch 9 televised the First State of Origin they got about 110,000 2nd one got about 90000 odd,I could be wrong but I don't think so
The 9 management were boasting about how well it went,considering it started at 7 30 the game never got under way till near 9 why they did not just show the game straight off I will never know.
Like most TV stations in Perth, 9 is one of the sheltered workshops for ex AFL players and assorted hacks who neither know nor care about anything but AFL,and are not interested enough to learn.
AFL in Perth is every where its dragged in nearly ever discussion on Radio,TV promotes it endlessly thank Christ I have FOX and don't watch much Commercial TV,even the ABC will not give scores in the main news, Rugby League does not exist if you listen or watch the ABC.

jargan83

Coach
AFL in Perth is every where its dragged in nearly ever discussion on Radio,TV promotes it endlessly thank Christ I have FOX and don't watch much Commercial TV,even the ABC will not give scores in the main news, Rugby League does not exist if you listen or watch the ABC.

Bingo, couldn't agree more

I got on the Fox wagon about 10 years ago and never looked back. FTA can burn in hell for all I care.

There is more sport around Australia and the world then Australian Fumbleball

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone able to track down viewing figures from soo when shown at 7.30pm and the nature programme shown weds night? Would love to have some comparables so the red army can mount a campaign! Just to annoy you more I was able to choose from a dozen pubs in London to watch it live! Ch9 suck, please get the rights ch10!

docbrown

Coach
Anyone able to track down viewing figures from soo when shown at 7.30pm and the nature programme shown weds night? Would love to have some comparables so the red army can mount a campaign! Just to annoy you more I was able to choose from a dozen pubs in London to watch it live! Ch9 suck, please get the rights ch10!

Can't tell you what the doco got because it didn't make the cut off and I don't have the numbers yet.

I will tell you one thing though. What Origin rated at 10:30pm was greater than what Go & Gem rated in Perth all night.

In exchange for this, I hope you join in and actively promote my letter writing campaign as the Win Affiliate in Perth is also under investigation by the ACMA.

If you want Rugby League shown in prime time in Perth, then I suggest you spread the word.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Thanks Doc I have tried that you are just bashing your head up against an AFL wall in Perth 9 but if I were you I would watch the ratings for every program on 9 on Wednesday night from 7 30.
9 Perth are the 4th channel and regarded as useless and a bit of a joke,they would not know if their arse was on fire,do you have an e mail addy as last time I had to go to WIN and that went nowhere.
Always willing to keep trying

docbrown

Coach
Thanks Doc I have tried that you are just bashing your head up against an AFL wall in Perth 9 but if I were you I would watch the ratings for every program on 9 on Wednesday night from 7 30.
9 Perth are the 4th channel and regarded as useless and a bit of a joke,they would not know if their arse was on fire,do you have an e mail addy as last time I had to go to WIN and that went nowhere.
Always willing to keep trying

Tip#1: don't email or phone. Always write/type a letter

WIN Corporation Pty Ltd

Television Avenue, MT ST Thomas NSW 2500
Locked Bag 8800 Wollongong NSW 2500

Tip#2: do not include a phone number or email in your letter. Only include your return mailing address. That way they have to reply in writing

Tip#3: if they do not reply, send a copy of your email to the ACMA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry - it's just game I, II & III for Perth

ah, makes sense now, thanks I'll be writing when I get back to Perth, what's the reference for those figures?

Anybody know the viewing figures for Wednesday nights programme?

j5o6hn

Juniors
Channel 9s was 9 news at 98,000 placed 4,ACA 92,000 Hot Seat ran 18 at 45000,RPA 99000,Big,63000,for more check Media Spy

BDGS

Bench
Channel Nine Perth will broadcast the State of Origin II clash between the Queensland Maroons and the New South Wales Blues at 9:30pm on Wednesday, June 15th.
While it isn’t live, it improves on the first State of Origin last month airing in Perth at 10:30pm, described by a WIN spokesperson at the time as “a responsible business decision” based on previous low ratings.
But this week Program Director, Danny Mitrovic encouraged viewers to get behind the renewed push.
“We have investigated playing State of Origin in an earlier timeslot on one of our multi-channels, however current anti-siphoning laws dictate this event must be simulcast on analogue / digital until analogue is switched off in Perth in December 2013,” he said.
“We are willing to review our current scheduling of weekly NRL, but the people of Perth need to demonstrate they want NRL in an earlier timeslot by tuning in and watching it. We will be monitoring audience levels on June 15, however significant viewer support of NRL is required to secure an earlier timeslot on an on-going basis.”

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/06/perth-gets-primetime-state-of-origin.html